Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other; Brakes, Electrical, Hitches, Weight Distribution & CDL Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum290/)
-   -   Tie downs recommendation (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1589782-tie-downs-recommendation.html)

mumblemouth 07-12-2019 01:24 PM

Tie downs recommendation

Hey y’all. Just a random opinion question. Right now I have an 84 f150..and I need some anchors or tie down points so I figured I’d ask everyone’s opinion..which do you prefer the little anchors that mount in the bed holes, or bed rails? I was also contemplating just installing a set of d rings in the bed floor..but I’m not very keen on drilling holes into the bed..whatcha think?

senix 07-13-2019 08:37 AM

I am using the rrings that mount in the stake holes.

They are not meant for much weight though so if you are going to do some heavy stuff and need strong tie down points then welding some d rings on the bed may be the best alternative.

mumblemouth 07-13-2019 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by senix (Post 18751248)
I am using the rrings that mount in the stake holes.

They are not meant for much weight though so if you are going to do some heavy stuff and need strong tie down points then welding some d rings on the bed may be the best alternative.

Can it handle enough weight to tie down a motorcycle?

senix 07-13-2019 08:42 AM

Yes with four tie down points I would be ok with it.

EDC8008 07-16-2019 05:27 PM

Stake pockets work really well. I put nuts and 2 large body washers on a 1/2" eyebolt, self locking nut on the inside of the pocket. They work really great for holding everrything down and haven't had anything fail or come loose.

I put 4 in the front but but 2 are on the headache rack. The 2 in the back are on the front to rear axis and are great for holding a load. With them near the top you can find them blind as long as you can get your hand in there. I've had 2 loaded Jobox with over 3000 lbs held in using 2 off the very front without an issue.

Freightrain 07-26-2019 12:42 PM

Under the bed rail, in the corners, the stake pockets have like a 1" hole in them. More then stout enough to support a motorcycle. I know they did in the 90's, not sure how much changed from the 80's bed.

Birdhunter1 07-27-2019 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Freightrain (Post 18771971)
Under the bed rail, in the corners, the stake pockets have like a 1" hole in them. More then stout enough to support a motorcycle. I know they did in the 90's, not sure how much changed from the 80's bed.

Same response from me, I've used that same hole to place eyebolts with large heavy washers in it. I've also taken a 1/2" rope, tied a bowline knot loop in one end, slipped the other through that hole and a big washer and tied a knot in the rope so it wouldn't slip through and used that as a tie point.