Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Stirring the pot (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1589720-stirring-the-pot.html)

Army RET 07-11-2019 07:45 PM

Stirring the pot

I tire of proud newbie users asking questions about their equipment / capabilities and then dismissing the answers because it's not what they want to hear.

In a nut-shell your 10K GVWR 6.7 truck is not rated to carry the weight of most popular fifth wheels. Even a small properly loaded 10K fifth will have a pin weight of 2000 pounds - often more, now add in a typical hitch of 200 pounds and you've reached your cargo capacity. Gas fueled trucks will provide maybe 600 additional pounds. Now you can carry momma, a kiddie or two, the dog, a small grill and a case of beer - just leave the outside chairs, bed linens and pots/ pans behind.

BUT ... worse than the uneducated new users are the numerous equally proud users who have been doing exactly this and claim everything is fine, blaming the 10K rating on paperwork to avoid paying higher registration fees.

I'd like to rescind the moniker "Super Duty" on these 10K limited trucks; maybe rename them "Limited".

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...ef8980bd1e.jpg

Mattm400 07-11-2019 08:59 PM

Come on now, I'm sure that had nothing to do with the truck. It was the armadillo that ran across in front of him!

kper05 07-11-2019 10:02 PM

There is not much hardware difference between an F250 and F350 SRW. I think the key for a trailer this size is DRW which is going to have improved capacity by design.

A few years ago I watched an F150 get shoved through an intersection in front of me pulling a tandem fiver camper as my light changed to green. Maybe the trailer brakes failed, maybe it was simply too heavy. Either way, wrong truck! That's how folks die. Since then all I can do is shake my head at half tons pulling around these massive units.

ford390gashog 07-11-2019 10:08 PM

What do you mean I can't tow a 40' 5'evr with my lifted CCSB f250? The rv dealer selling it says I can tow 40,000lbs!:-missingt So what if the rear dives and gets pushed in a hard braking application and my steering is nonexistent, I looked sweet doing it.:-hair

jav_eee 07-11-2019 10:30 PM

I don't want to stir the pot more but the accident in the pic you posted wasn't caused by the trailer being too big for the truck.

The truck's driver apparently ran a red due to the lights changing too quickly and was hit in the bed (t-boned) on the passenger side by a vehicle going through the intersection. The impact caused the truck to flip on its side.

Basically, this is the wrong pic to use for your post.

*lets go of pot stirrer*

Army RET 07-11-2019 10:37 PM

I viewed the hour (or so) video of its recovery several months back.

I was looking for a cartoonist pic of a loaded truck with its nose in the air but ... I was in too much of a hurry to continue searching.

So lets try this:
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...7738e54e34.jpg

harmanrk 07-12-2019 03:45 AM

^ That was clearly the fault of driving with the slides out. As you cannot see even a hint of the tow vehicle in that picture (there could be a Peterbuilt in front of that trailer for all we can tell), it does not do much for your pot stirring.

In all honesty, a still photo is never going to tell much of the store of what happened, and if 'not enough truck' was the issue. We can all use Google image search, and find photos of wrecks involving trailers, from mini-van pulling popups, all the way up to class 8 trucks (Local news has some great shots of one jack knifed in the median on Tuesday, guess he needed more truck)

Just Strokin 07-12-2019 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by jav_eee (Post 18749455)
I don't want to stir the pot more but the accident in the pic you posted wasn't caused by the trailer being too big for the truck.

The truck's driver apparently ran a red due to the lights changing too quickly and was hit in the bed (t-boned) on the passenger side by a vehicle going through the intersection. The impact caused the truck to flip on its side.

Basically, this is the wrong pic to use for your post.

*lets go of pot stirrer*

There doesn't appear to be any side impact damage in the photo, so apparently there possibly was not any side impact. Does appear the tail maybe was wagging the dog.

senix 07-12-2019 05:19 AM

An F250/F350 can absolutely pull a 5er if done right.

See here
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...aa2cddfbea.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...dafb44a065.jpg

senix 07-12-2019 05:21 AM

In the above I am over the ford door cert which means nothing. Am was within my axle ratings. I did adjust my truck registration to 12K though.

jav_eee 07-12-2019 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Just Strokin
There doesn't appear to be any side impact damage in the photo, so apparently there possibly was not any side impact. Does appear the tail maybe was wagging the dog.

If you watch the video you'll see there's damage on the passenger side of the bed. You might write that off as damage caused by the trailer BUT I found the forum post where the driver gave his story of what happened.

But we get it: don't use your "light" duty to do super duty stuff. However, sometimes you do what you gotta do with what you have.

djousma 07-12-2019 09:11 AM

You are stirring the pot for no reason though, unless you want to discuss 5th wheel towing with a 1/2 ton truck. :-X21 Scott has it right. The door sticker GVWR for the truck is a meaningless DMV number for plating purposes in many states. What matters is the Front/Rear GAWR on that same sticker, combined with the load capacity for the tires you have on your truck. Never exceed the lessor max capacity of those two, period.

gsxr1300 07-12-2019 09:27 AM

The picture at the top, the truck had aftermarket wheel and one of the failed.

dirthawg 07-12-2019 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Army RET (Post 18749223)
In a nut-shell your 10K GVWR 6.7 truck is not rated to carry the weight of most popular fifth wheels.

It's only GVWR on paper to satisfy registration. Axle weight ratings is what really matters.

I currently own a 1/2 ton towable travel trailer (7800k GVWR). In the image below "according to the door sticker" I am overloaded by 200 lbs.

https://i.postimg.cc/PqHnKRrh/20180705-130209.jpg

Really?, Yeah my truck looks like a disaster waiting to happen! ;) I can tow this load at 75+ MPH and have no issues with handling, sway or breaking abilities. I have passed 1/2 ton trucks towing a similar trailer in length and assume weight and they were all over the road trying to keep it in their own lane.

Originally Posted by Army RET (Post 18749223)
Even a small properly loaded 10K fifth will have a pin weight of 2000 pounds - often more, now add in a typical hitch of 200 pounds and you've reached your cargo capacity.

I'm sorry but 2200 lbs for an F250 SRW is chump change. I currently have 1200lbs of bagged mulch in the bed of my truck and a 6.5k trailer attached to the rear bumper that carries a 950lb tongue weight and even though the truck is squatting (these trucks have soft rear suspension) I have no loss of steering or braking ability. It actually rides quite nice with this amount of load. Let's assume all that weight is on the rear axle and none of it is on the front axle, I still have 670lbs of rear axle load before I reach the gross rear axle rating. I will grab a picture of what it looks like tomorrow while at work.

FYI 2500lbs on the rear axle only removes 280lbs from the steer axle. I have weight tickets to prove it.

Army RET 07-13-2019 08:35 AM

Once again I'll state my position: if it's rated for 10K GVWR then 10K is the max allowable. When that number was set the manufacturer took many things under consideration: axle/ tire ratings, a balanced load, etc. There is no doubt these 10K rated trucks (with either power plant) can pull/ carry *more* - and many proud owners do. That's a testament to the powertrain, not the underlying (limited) truck.

*Even if the trailer brakes were locked.*