Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Air Bags (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1589693-air-bags.html)

Court1317 07-11-2019 03:20 PM

Air Bags

I just ordered Air Lift 89396 LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Plus+ Air Springs to help with the sagging rear end (under load). Anyone using these? … better options??

edjunior 07-11-2019 07:51 PM

Well, since you just ordered them, it's a little late to ask about options. But, you should be fine. Most of the airbag kits are very similar. Did you get a wireless remote compressor? If not, get one. Pretty easy install, and just one little controller in the cab that you can store out of the way anywhere. Are you going to install them yourself? Have fun...I put on them on myself on my last two truck. I was not looking forward to it on my new one...thankfully I don't need them...at least for now.

A/Ox4 07-11-2019 07:58 PM

I would recommend running the air bags independent of one another's not tied together. If you tie them together they won't help with sway; if you run the separate they will help.

EDC8008 07-12-2019 03:21 PM

They will be fine. The wireless compressor is nice as you just push a button and go. I have a different system with twin compressors, 5 gallon tank. hose reel,, controls for the bags on dash below the heater controls.

Yes plumb them separate not one hose to both. Besides the help with sway if you end up with an off balance road and before anyone says it it does happen you can also level yourself.

Court1317 07-14-2019 11:29 AM

Update...

I decided not to use the air shocks. I ordered 4" blocks and Bilstein shocks (0-2" Lift) and will see how that does first. If that does not give me the results I'm looking for I'm going to replace the rear springs. Not liking the idea of adding something that is going to add additional maintenance.

jav_eee 07-14-2019 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Court1317
I decided not to use the air shocks. I ordered 4" blocks and Bilstein shocks (0-2" Lift) and will see how that does first. If that does not give me the results I'm looking for I'm going to replace the rear springs. Not liking the idea of adding something that is going to add additional maintenance.

I've had my bags for more than a year on my current truck and 3 years on my last truck and they never required any kind of maintenance. ¯\_(?)_/¯

EDC8008 07-14-2019 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by jav_eee (Post 18753053)
I've had my bags for more than a year on my current truck and 3 years on my last truck and they never required any kind of maintenance. ¯\_(?)_/¯

I've had them on my 04, 08, and my current 14 after 6 months. They are simple, effective, and the only "MAINTENANCE" id to verify they have 5 lbs of air in them. Nothing else to do to them.

That said your truck and you are the only one that really matters. Have fun.

Sir Kayakalot 07-14-2019 03:13 PM

Yep, pretty low maintenance. Had air bags on my F150 for 16 years and on my 14 F350 for over 5 yrs now. Personally I wouldn’t have a truck without them. Love everything about air bags

SuperDutyScaler 07-14-2019 05:53 PM

I like the 4" block idea, if that doesnt get you the ride height you need loaded ADD A LEAF IT! I did a custom long add a leaf on my F350 YEARS AGO and never regretted it once

Boaterguy 07-14-2019 07:56 PM

I have the Firestone bags on my current Super Duty. Same basic concept. Work awesome for varying loads.

They were easy to install, the only issue I had was instructions said to use 2 heat shields on the exhaust side on diesel pick ups, kit was only shipped with one. Firestone sent me an additional one.

glennemay 07-15-2019 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Court1317 (Post 18752938)

So I guess the question is "What are you trying to solve?"

I have airbags in my 350 due to a lot of heavy loads. They work great. I actually went the opposite direction and have not only independent fills, but I do not have the on-board air compressor. Have a cheap plug in for times I need to add a little beef to it. but one less thing to go wrong. In the process of putting a new bed on my truck, so I will be plumbing the bag connectors into the fuel door to make it cleaner

If you are looking just to jack it up for looks, then that may be a different story.

Court1317 07-24-2019 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by glennemay (Post 18754337)
So I guess the question is "What are you trying to solve?"

I have airbags in my 350 due to a lot of heavy loads. They work great. I actually went the opposite direction and have not only independent fills, but I do not have the on-board air compressor. Have a cheap plug in for times I need to add a little beef to it. but one less thing to go wrong. In the process of putting a new bed on my truck, so I will be plumbing the bag connectors into the fuel door to make it cleaner

If you are looking just to jack it up for looks, then that may be a different story.

I was adding for towing load... was considering the same option. I have a compressor and was just going to install manuall and independant

Court1317 07-24-2019 09:54 PM

I have the 4" blocks and Bilstein shocks installed now... BIG improvement!! The extra 2" (4" blocks vs 2") was the minimum that I would be satisfied with. With a 10K pound trailer it is still sagging 1" lower in the back but I can live with that. I will be towing with it this weekend and see how it does :) The next step will be either adding a helper spring or changing out the springs altogether.