Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Conventional (Bumper Pull) Towing; Travel Trailers & Pop-ups (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum286/)
-   -   Golf Carts (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1589649-golf-carts.html)

Diamnd1 07-11-2019 08:11 AM

Golf Carts

I have recently acquired a golf cart that is needed for my son's shooting sport so we don't have to walk country miles carrying ammo and guns. I am going to have to haul it in the bed of the truck whilst towing the camper. Who else does this and what have been issues that you have encountered that I can address and avoid. I have a 2004 F250 CCLB. TIA.

librarian 07-11-2019 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Diamnd1 (Post 18748205)
I have recently acquired a golf cart that is needed for my son's shooting sport so we don't have to walk country miles carrying ammo and guns. I am going to have to haul it in the bed of the truck whilst towing the camper. Who else does this and what have been issues that you have encountered that I can address and avoid. I have a 2004 F250 CCLB. TIA.

Hi There,
I was browsing this forum and saw your post. I joined just now so I could reply to you. You can load your golf card onto your truck and hook up your camper. I've done it many times. My truck is an 8 foot bed. I've done it with a chevy 1 ton and now have a dodge 2500 with an 8 foot bed. The only issue you might have loading or unloading is your ramp angle. If your cart has the reverse back seat, there may be enough overhang to keep you from loading conventionally if your cart is not lifted with larger tires. If it is, you shouldn't have any problem loading. Mine is not lifted and does have the reversed rear seat. To overcome the ramp angle I use two sets of ramps. the first set is connected to the truck and the second set connects with the first set of ramps about half way down the ramps. That lessens the angle of loading enough to allow you to load. The other issue with the reverse seat is that you may not be able to close your end gate and if you leave it on the truck it may impact the tongue jack on your camper. The solution is to simply remove the end gate from your truck while using your truck in this manner. I remove my end gate and I have several tie down hooks that I can strap to. I sometimes load my Polaris RZR 900 eps trail. I have to remove my end gate for that also. I use a set of wheel bonnets to ensure my RZR is strapped down securely. I'm planning on lifting my cart soon so I'll only need one ramp set as I do with my RZR. The main thing to think about when loading and unloading is make absolutely certain that your ramps are securely attached to your truck. If a ramp slips away from the truck while loading or unloading you could be injured and your cart severely damaged. I drilled a couple of holes in the bumper or my truck and also ran a couple of 3/8 x 3 inch bolts through my ramps to fit into those holes on the bumper. There's no way those ramps can come loose when attached in that way. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Don Williams a.k.a. librarian

Diamnd1 07-12-2019 08:19 AM

Librarian, thank you so much for the insight. I do have the rear seat config. and I did not plan on keeping the tailgate on as it will impact the camper jack. However, I did not take into consideration the angle of departure and the rear foot rest of the rear seat. I will most definitely secure the ramps to the truck. Experienced that scenario years ago when I was better able to absorb and recover from my ignorance!

CathedralCub 07-12-2019 04:16 PM

I like the bolt idea, but don't like to drill holes if not needed. Personally, I use a couple of ratchet straps between the center of the ramps and the bumper.

Diamnd1 07-15-2019 08:14 AM

I purchased the curved, fold up ramps from Harbor Freight(#1400 limit) and loaded the cart yesterday. I strapped the ramps to the truck by the bumper frame. It has holes in it to place the hook of the ratchet strap. It worked great even though the rear spring hanger on the drivers side was hitting the ground(need heavier springs or bigger tires or both!! Or i need to lose some weight). In and out a few times and even backwards a few. However, the cart will not fit in the truck bed proper backed in. The rear of the cart hits the tool box. But it fits nicely when driven in frontwards.