Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Creaks in the back end. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1589586-creaks-in-the-back-end.html)

LiquidSteam 07-10-2019 04:35 PM

Creaks in the back end.

After 2 years Im starting to notice audible creaks and clunks in the back end of the truck. Its such a difficult to diagnose issue. Soooo im wondering if anyone else has actually already diagnosed any issues and can point me in the right direction? Anything to grease? Bushings to replace or tighten? Thank you.

ATC Crazy 07-10-2019 05:13 PM

When does it happen? Bumps on the highway? Turning off the road into a driveway or parking lot (flexing the suspension some)?

Best thing to do is get out the socket set and crawl under the truck and check everything. Bed bolts too. And make sure the spare tire is still firmly in place.

seville009 07-10-2019 06:44 PM

Do you do much hauling? Thinking maybe put about five hundred pounds if something in the bed and see if the noises go away. If the noises are still there, then it’s probably something loose. If the noise goes away, probably just normal unloaded suspension components

MJAB 07-10-2019 07:37 PM

Yes...same here. Two year old 2017 F250 6.2 CCSB. I found out that my leaf springs were creaking a bit when unloaded. Only noticed it when going over very small bumps at slow speeds. Wound up spraying some lubricant in areas where the leaf springs touched each other and the sound went away. Not a permanent fix but at least I know what the noise is now. Had an older 1500 chevrolet that did the same thing.

fordman19762003 07-10-2019 08:13 PM

It's probably the springs or it could be the rear stabilizer bar if you have one.

LiquidSteam 07-10-2019 09:02 PM

I only notice at slow speeds. It could be at all speeds but its more difficult to notice with wind noise.

As far as loaded goes i actually took everything out of my truck for cleaning and its after that i really started to notice. I have a cap so its still not completely unloaded however.

I removed the spare tire and all its components in the first week so its not that.

It wont hurt to clumb under and see if anything is loose. I already checked the track bar relocation bracket and its solid.

Could definitely be springs. I'll put my normal gear back in and try that. If that doesn't do it ill grease the leaf springs and see.

Thanks for the thoughts.

LiquidSteam 07-12-2019 04:57 PM

Put my normal weight back in the truck and that didn't seem to help.

Sprayed the leaf springs down with fluid film today and that seems to have quelled like 90-95% of the noises. Thanks for all the tips.

GABAR 07-12-2019 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidSteam (Post 18747630)
I only notice at slow speeds. It could be at all speeds but its more difficult to notice with wind noise.

As far as loaded goes i actually took everything out of my truck for cleaning and its after that i really started to notice. I have a cap so its still not completely unloaded however.

I removed the spare tire and all its components in the first week so its not that.

It wont hurt to clumb under and see if anything is loose. I already checked the track bar relocation bracket and its solid.

Could definitely be springs. I'll put my normal gear back in and try that. If that doesn't do it ill grease the leaf springs and see.

Thanks for the thoughts.

This problem extends to the F150 as well.
I have the same creaking noise on my 2016 F150 and it’s noticeable when backing up slowly or whenever the chassis is in transition while moving slowly.

I don’t know about you but I can’t hear it at regular speed.

I read a posting about this issue on another forum and many said it’s the isolation pad between the leaf springs.
Apparently over time, which is brief, the lubricant wears or washes away.

kry226 07-13-2019 04:40 AM

I have the same noise in the rear of my 2019 and it's my only enduring gripe about the truck. Weight makes no difference. I do have the camper package sway bar, but I think I've traced it down to the right side leaf spring bushings. I'm planning to drop it off here in the next week or so to see if they can squelch the clunking.

mack1080 09-26-2019 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by kry226 (Post 18751041)
I'm planning to drop it off here in the next week or so to see if they can squelch the clunking.

What ended up happening?

kry226 09-27-2019 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by mack1080 (Post 18870067)
What ended up happening?

Sorry, sir. I haven't had the time to take it in. I'm almost certain it's a leaf spring bushing, but I've never heard of them going bad like this. I'll certainly update when we find the solution.

mack1080 09-27-2019 05:03 PM

I am going through the same thing right now. Both Ford dealer and an independent have told me the bushing is not replaceable. They have both told me that the leaf spring has to be replaced.. independe t shop told me $999 parts and labor. 3 hrs x $95 for labor.

If you find something else out, please let me know. I would certainly appreciate it!

kry226 09-27-2019 07:48 PM

Are you out of warranty?

mack1080 09-27-2019 07:55 PM

Yep.. 38k ish

GO BIG OR GO HOME 09-27-2019 08:18 PM

It is the leaf springs. The bushings and the pins start to wear. Just changed mine out to Deaver springs. I’ve had them Before and love them.