Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Part Sourcing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1589541-part-sourcing.html)

Magnum3672 07-10-2019 09:01 AM

Part Sourcing

I've had a few other threads around about my electrical issues but now I'm going to bite the bullet and replace them myself this weekend (hopefully).

I need a starter and alternator for sure (possibly more, but until I fix those I won't know what else) and I usually go on Rock Auto and get parts but with a 460 I'm not sure what is sufficient and suggested so I can keep this beast alive for as long as possible.

Do you guys have a good source for parts besides Rock Auto and do you have any suggestions for brands or parts I should be getting?

Thanks!

Forgot to mention, it's a 94 f-350 XLT with a 460, no added powered accessories.

sandymane 07-10-2019 10:58 AM

For electrical parts like you mentioned, unless I am going with Motorcraft I like to buy from O'riellys. If I can get Motorcraft from them even better. The reason is, I have a good relationship with them and if I buy a possible high failure probability item like a starter or ICM or IAC I can get it replaced the very same day and be driving my truck. The parts come with a decent warranty and I don't even need a receipt because I am in their computer. Not having to wait and ship parts back to a computer generated sales store is not something I care for. This method has worked well for me but it's your money and time. Sandy

CamoF-250 07-11-2019 10:55 AM

Either research a 3G alternator upgrade or by my 1yr OLD 2g I took off to upgrade.

Magnum3672 07-11-2019 04:02 PM

I understand it's new technology and all that but what's the difference between 2g and 3g and what's involved in the upgrade?

Exwhyze 07-12-2019 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Magnum3672 (Post 18748949)
I understand it's new technology and all that but what's the difference between 2g and 3g and what's involved in the upgrade?

Well, you will run less of a risk of burning down your truck, have more power, and stimulate the economy, thus making america great again as well as your truck. Its a win-win for everyone but your wallet!

westcoasting 07-13-2019 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Magnum3672 (Post 18746601)
I've had a few other threads around about my electrical issues but now I'm going to bite the bullet and replace them myself this weekend (hopefully).

I need a starter and alternator for sure (possibly more, but until I fix those I won't know what else) and I usually go on Rock Auto and get parts but with a 460 I'm not sure what is sufficient and suggested so I can keep this beast alive for as long as possible.

Do you guys have a good source for parts besides Rock Auto and do you have any suggestions for brands or parts I should be getting?

Thanks!

Forgot to mention, it's a 94 f-350 XLT with a 460, no added powered accessories.

What is the issue with a 460 and rock auto? I have had a few over the years and have bought most all parts from Rockauto, the price savings is worth it.

needshave 07-13-2019 12:54 AM

I buy my parts from NAPA. if i need a part and they don't have it, and if i let them know before noon I need it, they will have the part by 2pm. if they have a truck in the area, they drop if off to me. They are knowledgeable people, they know what you are talking about. their price to me, beats the local competition and most online stores.

Wheelman55 07-13-2019 07:44 AM

Magnum...I replaced the alternator in my 93 F250 460. I ordered a Motorcraft from Ford and it did not fit. The electrical connections were in the wrong place. I then got a unit from Autozone that did fit.

In checking with the Ford parts folks, there is an incorrect part for the alternator in the Ford parts list. The only answer for me was to go with another brand.