Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Amp Powersteps and Factory Integration (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1589261-amp-powersteps-and-factory-integration.html)

PradaF350 07-07-2019 10:32 PM

Amp Powersteps and Factory Integration

Has any one attempted to marry amp powersteps to the PRB OEM module so as to have dash controls for them active? After reading a couple threads, my only question is that each board (motor) has 5 wire output from the PRB module whereas the Amp powersteps only require two (deploy and stow). The PRB module has "Ctrl Mod + sensor, Ctrl Mod - sensor and Ctrl Mod. Driver Position" and not I dont know what these would be used for. My plan is to purchase the OEM PRB and wire into the truck as you would OEM power steps, but only use the deploy and stow wires for the Amp powersteps.

Just curious before I purchase and test the theory.

WEHRING 07-07-2019 10:56 PM

Good question

I Could not get factory power steps on XLT. Subscribed...

JHForman812 07-08-2019 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by WEHRING (Post 18742686)
I Could not get factory power steps on XLT. Subscribed...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-my-truck.html

this guy did all the homework for you

JHForman812 07-08-2019 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by PradaF350 (Post 18742661)
Has any one attempted to marry amp powersteps to the PRB OEM module so as to have dash controls for them active? After reading a couple threads, my only question is that each board (motor) has 5 wire output from the PRB module whereas the Amp powersteps only require two (deploy and stow). The PRB module has "Ctrl Mod + sensor, Ctrl Mod - sensor and Ctrl Mod. Driver Position" and not I dont know what these would be used for. My plan is to purchase the OEM PRB and wire into the truck as you would OEM power steps, but only use the deploy and stow wires for the Amp powersteps.

Just curious before I purchase and test the theory.

I cant say for certain but I don't see why this cannot be done, amp makes those steps for ford I believe. youll need forscan to turn the module on to get it to show up in your cluster.

PradaF350 07-08-2019 01:55 AM

Yes sir,
I read Anibal Medina's posts, that is where I got the idea to save even more cash to use amp powersteps and the ford PRB controls, but unsure of the extra OEM wires to the motors. I will be attempting this in August and will post the results.

PradaF350 07-08-2019 02:50 AM

So, one the schematics, it reads "Hall Effect", after some googling, Wikipedia defines Hall Effect as "is a device that is used to measure the magnitude of a magnetic field. Its output voltage is directly proportional to the magnetic field strength through it". In other words or in this case, is used theoretically for telling the motors to stop when 100% stowed or deployed and if something blocks movement to stop the motor to prevent damage.

So as I think about it, since this proximity (Hall Effect) is in the Factory OEM motors and not in the AMP Powersteps motors, how would the Factory PRB module know when to stop the AMP powersteps? I will try to sort out the CAN BUS wires from the AMP module and attempt to have the truck MS1 CAN- and MS1CAN+ to trigger the AMP module with out the need for the OEM PRB????

Would any one know the schematics for the OBD II connector used by the AMP Module?

PradaF350 07-08-2019 03:25 AM

Ok, another stupid question.... Since the Amp Powersteps module works by CAN BUS low and CAN BUS high from the OBD II, has anyone that has the AMP Powersteps tried to use Forscan to turn on the power step feature and tried to control the aftermarket AMP powersteps connected to the OBD II ?

Mkos1980 07-08-2019 08:34 AM

Ive attempted all of this already..... I posted about this a few months ago. The amps actually pic up a tad differant CAN signal from the obd ports. I enabled the changes in Forscan hoping it would still work but it didnt. If you get it going let me know!

Mkos1980 07-08-2019 08:38 AM

I've only seen the amp module run oem motors, not the other way around. The amp connector has 2 CAN signals, a ground and also takes 12v from the obd2 connector to the module.

67_4_ME 07-08-2019 08:47 AM

Just another short sided Ford Corp. decision. Why the hell Ford can't make accessories like this in a kit that can be plug and play with software update. Even if it had to be installed by the dealer for a reasonably price. The dealers and Ford could make money. I'm off my soapbox, just the way of today's world.

PradaF350 07-08-2019 07:20 PM

Mkos1980, thank you for verifying that using the AMP module will not work, so back to the original theory of using the OEM PRB module directly to the motor on the AMP powersteps and leaving the hall effect disconnected. My hopes is that the the end stop for deploy and stow will be triggered to stop power by increased current draw and that the hall effect is only used if something gets in between the boards it will stop. Bypassing a safety system is never a good thing but I am curious as to if this may or may not work.

PradaF350 07-08-2019 07:22 PM

Mkos1980, since you have heard of the AMP module running the OEM boards and the hall effect wires cannot be hooked up to the AMP module (only two wires for deploy and stow), how does the module know to cut power when fully deployed or stowed?

Mkos1980 07-08-2019 07:31 PM

From reading the 2015+ F150 message boards the amp module can detect an excessive draw and kills the power on full open. That's why the oem motors can work with the amp modules with only 2 wires.

PradaF350 07-08-2019 07:34 PM

I see, interesting, well that kills my theory but I may try to figure it out, cost savings would be ~$500.00 from the OEM setup

Mkos1980 07-08-2019 07:41 PM

Yea... I ordered the full amp setup and override switch from electeicstep.com for $1200 bucks. I've yet to put the switch on as I've found I haven't needed it yet. LoL
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...b9628c036f.jpg