Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2015 - 2020 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum276/)
-   -   American made index (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1589070-american-made-index.html)

tseekins 07-06-2019 06:04 AM

American made index

https://www.cars.com/articles/cars-c...an-car-404547/

The Honda Ridgeline is the most American made truck in the US while the GM twins and the Rams didn't even rank in the top 15. Ford and the Toyota Trundra have both slipped significantly since the launch of the current generation F-150.

The main items taken into consideration for the ranking is: (not in order given)
1. North American parts content
2. Final assembly
3. Number of plant workers
4. Origin of engines and transmissions.

The biggest thing that kept Ford alive in the standings is the volume of US plant workers as opposed to other car makers.

adock 07-06-2019 06:14 PM

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

tree10 07-07-2019 06:53 AM

Honda seems to put their policies into practice. They like to produce vehicles in the market they are sold.

My last truck was a Tundra, I got sick of explaining to some people that no it was not an imported truck and that it was actually more North American in content/build then their Rams and GMs.

Tom 07-09-2019 05:20 PM

You gotta love the irony that comes from living in a global economy. The most "domestic" thing out there made by a foreign company…

The NHTSA has published the American-made content for years on their website, you can find it here:https://www.nhtsa.gov/part-583-ameri...ng-act-reports. Kind of odd my current ride has no information on there, but just about everything else is there for comparison.

GlueGuy 07-09-2019 06:42 PM

You got a Model 3 Tom? How long, and how do you like it?

Tom 07-10-2019 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by GlueGuy (Post 18745846)
You got a Model 3 Tom? How long, and how do you like it?

At the risk of derailing the thread…

After having it for nearly 3 months, I am way past the point of being impressed. My primary reason for buying it was because it was one of the only vehicles on the road capable of steering itself with Tesla's autopilot system. My health has gone south over the last year, and this stupid disease is taken most of my hand function with it. Physically holding onto the steering wheel (or anything else, for that matter) gets painful in a hurry, so I figured this was worth the cost help me get around. The autopilot system isn't perfect, but it's much better at handling unpredictable situations that come with every day driving then I would have expected.

The car itself is amazing. The panel gaps are perfect, but overall fit and finish are outstanding; far beyond any other car or truck I've owned. The instant power at any speed provided by the electric powertrain is intoxicating, but I've got to admit the car lacks the "soul" of one powered by a gas engine. I had been planning to get another truck and possibly an RV to take my boys on the road with, but unfortunately that is out of the question for me at the moment. Hopefully I'll get some better resolution with my health problems, but until then or when pickup trucks get autopilot technology, I'll be getting around in this really impressive little sedan.

This is also why have been largely absent from FTE in the recent months. I can't really type anymore, so I have to use dictation software which is cumbersome in comparison. So FTE is nowhere near as convenient as it once was

GlueGuy 07-10-2019 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 18746563)
At the risk of derailing the thread…

After having it for nearly 3 months, I am way past the point of being impressed. My primary reason for buying it was because it was one of the only vehicles on the road capable of steering itself with Tesla's autopilot system. My health has gone south over the last year, and this stupid disease is taken most of my hand function with it. Physically holding onto the steering wheel (or anything else, for that matter) gets painful in a hurry, so I figured this was worth the cost help me get around. The autopilot system isn't perfect, but it's much better at handling unpredictable situations that come with every day driving then I would have expected.

The car itself is amazing. The panel gaps are perfect, but overall fit and finish are outstanding; far beyond any other car or truck I've owned. The instant power at any speed provided by the electric powertrain is intoxicating, but I've got to admit the car lacks the "soul" of one powered by a gas engine. I had been planning to get another truck and possibly an RV to take my boys on the road with, but unfortunately that is out of the question for me at the moment. Hopefully I'll get some better resolution with my health problems, but until then or when pickup trucks get autopilot technology, I'll be getting around in this really impressive little sedan.

This is also why have been largely absent from FTE in the recent months. I can't really type anymore, so I have to use dictation software which is cumbersome in comparison. So FTE is nowhere near as convenient as it once was

I am very sorry to hear about your health issues. A few years ago I had a mysterious health issue that took almost 6 months to unravel. It was complicated by the fact that what I had was exceedingly rare, and my symptoms were nowhere near "classic". My GP finally did one test that sent up big clues about what was going on, and we unraveled it quickly after that. Here's hoping that you will get yours sorted out soon.

truckguy92 07-12-2019 02:57 AM

Correct me if I am wrong and I hope the crowd doesn't turn against me here but doesn't the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon place 8th and 9th place? Ford is the most American made 1/2 ton model placing 13th if I read this correctly.

tseekins 07-12-2019 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by truckguy92 (Post 18749607)
Correct me if I am wrong and I hope the crowd doesn't turn against me here but doesn't the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon place 8th and 9th place? Ford is the most American made 1/2 ton model placing 13th if I read this correctly.

Yes, the F-150 place #13, down from the #1 and #2 spots just a few years ago. My 2011 F-150 is 81% North American which tied with the Tundra in 2011 as the two most American made trucks in the country.

Akley88 07-12-2019 07:35 AM

i guess the heavy duty trucks are excluded from this list or they are just that low?

tseekins 07-13-2019 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Akley88 (Post 18749780)
i guess the heavy duty trucks are excluded from this list or they are just that low?

My guess is that since there's only three to choose from............................

F350 1990 07-14-2019 11:17 AM

The Ford Motor Company loses money or barely breaks even in FOUR of the FIVE geographic regions it operates in (only profitable region for Ford is North America) and Ford makes 75%-85% of TOTAL COMPANY WIDE PROFITS off the F-Series, gouging buyers horribly.

The gouge is ugly, brutal and they have F-Series buyers bent over, drilling them (and smiling, partying in the process to boot) :-bigparty

Now Americans are finally seeing that they're subsidizing buyers and suppliers in all other parts of the world given the fact most F-150 content (ranked #13 above) is not Made in America.

Akley88 07-14-2019 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 18751066)
My guess is that since there's only three to choose from............................

True but aren't rams made in mexico?

tseekins 07-15-2019 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by F350 1990 (Post 18752913)
The Ford Motor Company loses money or barely breaks even in FOUR of the FIVE geographic regions it operates in (only profitable region for Ford is North America) and Ford makes 75%-85% of TOTAL COMPANY WIDE PROFITS off the F-Series, gouging buyers horribly.

The gouge is ugly, brutal and they have F-Series buyers bent over, drilling them (and smiling, partying in the process to boot) :-bigparty

Now Americans are finally seeing that they're subsidizing buyers and suppliers in all other parts of the world given the fact most F-150 content (ranked #13 above) is not Made in America.

I don't completely agree or disagree with you but please consider this:

1. 2019 F-150 XL Screw 4x2 base price $34,695

2. 2019 F-150 Platinum 4x2 base price $54,920

The XL truck has a lot of stuff on it to include all the interior safety goodies, seating for six and even carriers the same basic warranty as the Plat.

The Plat offers you leather and power every damned thing for a whopping $20,000 additional dollars. For that you could by an F-150 XL and a Ford Fiesta and still come out less.

My point is, the gouging is happening at the higher trim levels and people are standing in line to pay the price! Car makers charge what the market will bear and people are willing to pay out the nose to have all the goodies.

As for me, will the XL truck carry six of us to lowe's for a truck load of lumber? Yes it will and that's good enough for me.

JKBrad 07-15-2019 06:57 AM

I haven’t seen it as much in the last couple of years. There used to be a lot of posts about “upgrading” to the higher and even higher trim levels. Some guys would really fret over it, trying to justify or figure out how to get the pricier truck.

It seems now lately, many are looking at XLTs and Lariats. The King Ranch is hardly mentioned (we could start a whole other thread about how that package has been mismanaged). There is some talk of Platinums and the Limited is barely discussed either.

Judging by the trend I see lately, the trucks are priced too high and many are looking for ways to bleed less when buying. The sales numbers probably reflect this too.

Maybe we could understand if the trucks were made here or in Canada with parts and components made here. My OEM wheels are made in China, many wiring harnesses and electronic components are made in Mexico.

We have had several PVD wheel problems posted over the years and Sync3 APIMS seem to have a high failure rate. Quality needs to be job 1, remember that old tag line?

Warranties are great, but I hate, hate, hate going back to get little things fixed. I know some people love to invoke their warranties for things as minor as a stripped valve stem cap.

My truck has not been back to the dealer, or in a shop of any kind since I bought it 43k miles ago. I do need to get about 4 recalls done, but they don’t really matter to me as they do not impair the function of the truck at all. Those recalls are all for silly little things that should have been caught earlier in the process. But I get it as my truck is a 2015.

Would I be willing to pay $1k more for high quality components? I guess, but they are so damned high now and not coming down as long as interest rates are low. I would like more robust electronics, metal timing chain guides, metal oil pans, better tires, wheels and shocks (or at least more options). Fit and finish could be better (on my truck is not great, I understand the newer ones are better, again first year truck). And why can’t they deliver them with the headlights properly aimed or the A/C not fully charged?