Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   My 2018 6.2L F350 Rant (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1586558-my-2018-6-2l-f350-rant.html)

lawnspecialties 06-12-2019 02:01 PM

My 2018 6.2L F350 Rant

I've been a looooong time Ford truck guy. Started my lawn care business in 1999 with my 1990 Ranger and a 12' single axle trailer. Since then, I've had six Power Strokes and four gas engine Super Duties. So for the most part, I've been a satisfied Ford guy. Even my 2005 6.0L was a great truck for the four years I owned it.

Since we sold the camper this past January and the same guy bought the F450 I pulled it with, I am now strictly a gas engine guy. I feel the gas engines are just easier to deal with for my business. I'll save the diesels for pulling future campers down the interstates. My 2013 F350 6.2L has been one of my favorite work trucks ever. She has been flawless for 98,000 miles and has made me plenty of money pulling landscape trailers and plowing snow. But being over five years old and since I sold the F450, I figured I'd give her some much needed rest and I bought a new 2018 F350 XL super cab chassis cab 4X4 with the 6.2L. I did the usual expenses on it right away such as new wheels and tires, spray-liner in the service body, and additional leaf springs installed in the back to eliminate the pitiful sag Fords have when pulling only 5300 lbs. with a 750 lb. tongue weight. Once that all was done, I was pretty pleased. Good looking truck with a nice ride.

But in the past few months, what a disappointment it is slowly becoming. Issues I have seen also posted here on the forum.

1. The truck is getting more and more difficult to start at times. Sometimes it fires right up like normal and sometimes it really stumbles. Doesn't matter if it's cold or warmed up. I'd guess a third of the time, the starter has to turn over much longer than usual and every now and then, it starts really rough almost as if it's going to cut off.
2. I have the super cab. So the rear doors open backwards. About a month or so ago, the right rear door would not open without it wedging against the rear panel at the hinge point in the middle. In order to open it without it rubbing terribly, I have to press hard against the panel behind the door and the door will just barely clear without rubbing. I took it to my small dealer and they thought they could fix it. They called me a day later and said everything they tried, they couldn't get it. They said I will have to take it to another larger dealer who has a body shop.
3. What is with the programming of this engine? Does Ford really think this gas engine has the torque of the 6.7L? My 2013 6.2L is such a better truck when it comes to power; especially when pulling my trailers. Probably the worse scenario is when merging into traffic from an on ramp. If I stomp the throttle, it REFUSES to drop below third gear. It just lugs it's slow butt up to speed while I'm trying to merge into traffic without someone running all over my trailer. It will also do this when not pulling but that's not quite as bad. You know it's struggling because whenever it rains, the rear quarter panel above the exhaust starts to get covered in black soot. You just know this engine is lugging as hard as it can. My 2013 would drop to second when it needed to. But even if it does or doesn't, the power just feels much stronger than this new engine.

So my ranting is complete. I will eventually get it into the other Ford dealership and let them do their thing. But I must admit, in the 20 years of lawn maintenance, this is the first truck that I almost regret purchasing. If I could have another 2013 model brand new, I would be a happy man.

RobJr 06-12-2019 02:22 PM

With this much effort typing you could of had a ad on CL to sell your truck! Thanks for making a thread that contributes so much to the user group.

seville009 06-12-2019 02:39 PM

If it were me, I’d check the battery re: the starting. I change my batteries every three years; last battery was an AGM - big difference in starting power. If you still have the battery that came with it, it may just not have been fully up to spec when you got it.

I’d also check the transmission fluid and the unhook the battery for a bit so that, when hooked back up, the transmission relearns its shift points as you drive.

Also check for codes.

None of the above may solve anything, but can’t hurt to try. Like you, I’d think the 2018 would be at least equal or better than the 2013, so something’s screwy with the 2018.

fordman19762003 06-12-2019 02:59 PM

There is a thread on the 6.2 forum about long cranks and stalling issues due to a bad valve in the fuel pump.

I'm dealing an a new 2019 right now but all these threads about issues with the post '17 6.2 engines is making me have second thoughts. My '13 has been pretty much flawless for the 68000 miles I've put in it.

I might just go back to a half ton with the 3.5, seems like the Gen 2 version has been even better than the Gen 1.

dksmith17 06-12-2019 03:21 PM

I bet the starting and pickup issues are related. FWIW my 18 6.2 w/ 4.30s flies and doesn't have starting issues.

Sagnasty 06-12-2019 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by seville009 (Post 18703495)
If it were me, I’d check the battery re: the starting. I change my batteries every three years; last battery was an AGM - big difference in starting power. If you still have the battery that came with it, it may just not have been fully up to spec when you got it.

I’d also check the transmission fluid and the unhook the battery for a bit so that, when hooked back up, the transmission relearns its shift points as you drive.

Also check for codes.

None of the above may solve anything, but can’t hurt to try. Like you, I’d think the 2018 would be at least equal or better than the 2013, so something’s screwy with the 2018.

I can attest to the power difference of the AGM's. I haven't rep[laced my factory battery yet in my 6.2, but I did replace the originals with AGM's in my last diesel. Night and day difference in cranking power.

wildcard30 06-12-2019 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by RobJr (Post 18703474)
With this much effort typing you could of had a ad on CL to sell your truck! Thanks for making a thread that contributes so much to the user group.

Just like your post did.

To the OP,

I have had 1 or 2 slow starts on my 17. I would definitely have the dealer check your fuel pump and pressure.

67L48 06-12-2019 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by RobJr (Post 18703474)

Don't worry about people who use the phonetic spelling of could've.

lawnspecialties 06-12-2019 03:56 PM

Well. May have found have the problem. Here's the thread. Might have to suggest a new fuel pump when the truck is getting the door repaired.

Fuel Pump Problem

lawnspecialties 06-12-2019 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by 67L48 (Post 18703584)
Don't worry about people who use the phonetic spelling of could've.

Not sure why that has always bugged me, too.

Could of...
Should of...
Would of...

It's almost as bad as when people post about their new "breaks" they just had installed.

spongecop 06-12-2019 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by fordman19762003 (Post 18703518)
There is a thread on the 6.2 forum about long cranks and stalling issues due to a bad valve in the fuel pump.

I'm dealing an a new 2019 right now but all these threads about issues with the post '17 6.2 engines is making me have second thoughts. My '13 has been pretty much flawless for the 68000 miles I've put in it.

I might just go back to a half ton with the 3.5, seems like the Gen 2 version has been even better than the Gen 1.

40k miles on my 2017 6.2 and no issues.... one of the best trucks i have ever owned. I sometimes feel myself falling into the trap on forums where most posts are about negative issues and therefore I assume they are all bad. again, not dismissing one mans issues ....I just try to be mindful of the imbalance on the internet groups.

walter white 06-12-2019 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by spongecop (Post 18703628)
40k miles on my 2017 6.2 and no issues.... one of the best trucks i have ever owned. I sometimes feel myself falling into the trap on forums where most posts are about negative issues and therefore I assume they are all bad. again, not dismissing one mans issues ....I just try to be mindful of the imbalance on the internet groups.

Yep. My 2011 f 250 4x4 6.2 has a little over 200,000 and has served me well (knock on wood). I've had the radio and driver's window motor pop, but that's it. I think it's a great engine

cob1181 06-12-2019 10:59 PM

Something is wrong if you're getting soot on the quarter panel. After 16,000 miles on mine, the only thing with soot on it is the inside of my exhaust tip. Maybe you loaned the truck to a buddy who instinctively put diesel in it!

seville009 06-13-2019 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by cob1181 (Post 18704261)
Something is wrong if you're getting soot on the quarter panel. After 16,000 miles on mine, the only thing with soot on it is the inside of my exhaust tip. Maybe you loaned the truck to a buddy who instinctively put diesel in it!

I was curious about that too. Something’s not burning right or the cat is going bad maybe. My 2011 6.2 has about 105,000 on it; no engine issues luckily

llmflyfisher 06-13-2019 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by dksmith17 (Post 18703539)
I bet the starting and pickup issues are related. FWIW my 18 6.2 w/ 4.30s flies and doesn't have starting issues.

No issues at all with my 2019 CCSB. Starts instantly, pulls like bull. I have 4.30s and stock size 20s. Also have two batteries like the diesel trucks have.