Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   I now understand why so many of you are doing your own paint (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1586456-i-now-understand-why-so-many-of-you-are-doing-your-own-paint.html)

caravaggio2000 06-11-2019 02:04 PM

I now understand why so many of you are doing your own paint

Took my truck around to get a few quotes on body work and paint. Most shops would not even give me an idea because they wouldn't do the metal work (just collisions, ins, etc.). I found 2 that would do that and was quoted 10k from one and over 25k for another (for driver quality paint). 25k!

Now that truck does need 2 new front cab mounts welded in, the passenger bed wheel area, and a patch or two in the bed, but... wow, that's a lot!

I guess I need to learn to weld! I'll have to take it around a few more places first though, just to see what other people are quoting.

ford390gashog 06-11-2019 02:12 PM

That's the truth, that's what a good decent paint job costs with minimal repairs. I paid 13k to have my 76 done in 2014.

JacobJ 06-11-2019 02:17 PM

I went through the same thing and thought those numbers were outrageous. And then after I completed my own repaint, taking the time to do it right, I realized I would want the same high price do it for someone else's truck

fordguy2100 06-11-2019 02:18 PM

If I didn't do the work myself (along with other members who have donated their time and skills) I wouldn't be able to restore this truck. It's a labor of love I'll never get my money back out of but I don't ever plan to sell it so I'm fine with spending my time on it. No way I could afford shop labor + materials to have this truck fixed up, If I was that rich I'd go buy a restored truck for $25,000 and let the previous owner take the probably close to $30,000 hit on restoration costs lol.

Paint is something I'm going to try myself and only if I fudge it up real bad will I check out what a shop wants for the job.

caravaggio2000 06-11-2019 02:25 PM

The paint itself isn't what I'm cautious about trying, it's the welding in body panels. But... for that kind of price it might be worth it to buy a decent welder and start practicing!

BKSMN 06-11-2019 02:27 PM

Check the services section on Craigslist. I was quoted $7k just to spray paint and primer after if I did all the body work myself from a local shop. I ended up finding a retired bodywork guy on craigslist who did most of the body work, primer and paint for $4k. He did a beautiful job. I would recommend a few references of past customers before you go that route though, to avoid being screwed.

I recommend getting a welder and learning how to weld! It comes in handy for more things than just body work! And it's a lot of fun :)

Enzothehound 06-11-2019 02:55 PM

X2 on the welder purchase

I agree with buying a welder and learning to weld. There are some nice weekend warrior wire feed welders available now that will pay for themselves rapidly in outside labor savings.

fordguy2100 06-11-2019 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by caravaggio2000
The paint itself isn't what I'm cautious about trying, it's the welding in body panels. But... for that kind of price it might be worth it to buy a decent welder and start practicing!

Yes buying a welder and learning to weld is a skill that opens soooo many doors for you! Definitely give it a try.

But practice practice practice before you weld on your truck... don't want to fix a fix on these old trucks lol (well more than you already have to, hopefully the PO didn't screw too much up)

flowney 06-11-2019 04:50 PM

Welding sheet metal is a bit more challenging than the heavier stuff but there are tricks and techniques you can learn to better balance the equation. Back when I set out to learn how to weld, there were no CDs, DVDs or Internet (the dark ages). I had a book or two, a gas welding outfit, a pile of mild steel scraps and a lot of optimism. Nowadays, it's much easier. I've been very impressed with what one can find on YouTube, especially the videos put out by vendors of welding equipment. Eastwood's videos are especially good because they use vintage tin examples.

Jonathon Lehigh 06-11-2019 04:58 PM

Yess buy a welder. And look on YouTube for tips and tricks. Once you learn to weld you can make money off of it.

440 sixpack 06-11-2019 05:38 PM

Anyone can do the heavy stuff, welding and straightening. the final bodywork and paints is best left to the pro's if you care at all what your rig looks like it really that simple. they guys who brag about doing their own paint don't need to tell me, I can tell.

just the materials will run a minimum of $1000 and can go way up from there for the good stuff. step over a dime to save a nickel ?

I'm taking my high boy in this winter for new paint , it has no rust and only minor dents, it will be stripped, sanded and ready to start priming and blocking when they get it. with Glasurit base /clear it's going to cost me right at 8k . for the quality of work these guys do that is more than fair in my opinion, since the materials are about 25% of the cost no way am I going to do it myself and screw it up.

HIO Silver 06-11-2019 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by caravaggio2000 (Post 18701703)

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

SlikWillie 06-11-2019 07:33 PM

Here is another way to get it done. Some others may chime in on this one. As long as you aren't in a hurry, find a local school that teaches auto body repair and have them do it. I didn't have the time they required for my truck when I called about this idea. Guy said it would cost me the price of paint and materials and 10% of book cost. I ended up painting it myself. I spend right around $1000, which included a $500 air compressor. I didn't know that prep requires so much work. Took me almost 2 months to get the job done. I made a thread about it, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-thread-3.html

Gtach 06-11-2019 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by caravaggio2000 (Post 18701703)

It's not as hard as you think. Go slow and have fun with it. Make sure you buy a decent gas mig welder. Don't try learning on a flux core welder. You'll be miserable.

fordguy2100 06-11-2019 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Gtach
It's not as hard as you think. Go slow and have fun with it. Make sure you buy a decent gas mig welder. Don't try learning on a flux core welder. You'll be miserable.

Ain't that the truth. I was struggling on the welder from HF. Then grinnergetter offered to help me and while working at his shop with a nice welder I instantly became a pro! (Ha ok maybe some exaggeration, but I was able to weld MUCH better with a nicer welder)