Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2015 + Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum281/)
-   -   Expy 22" with PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1586252-expy-22-with-pirelli-scorpion-verde.html)

ad2435 06-09-2019 08:37 PM

Expy 22" with PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE

My '15 platinum EL came with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde from the factory when I bought it new.

I don't tow, I drive very conservatively, brake lightly and my original tires lasted about 30-35k with regular rotations.

At 30-35k I replaced with the Scorpion Verde PLUS. Looks like I'm only going to get about 30-35k with these.

I drive about 50-50 highway/city. I know this truck is heavy. I understand the tires are soft. My alignment is dead on.

I do like the feel of these tires. When they are new and still good, the expy drives like a very good comfortable smooth road sedan.

What are others seeing with this tire? They say they are 65k tires???

What competitive tire has a similar smooth ride but with better longevity??

Thanks!

Going_Going_Gone 06-10-2019 09:53 AM

There's not a whole lot of choice in 22" replacement tires for these vehicles. Our 4X4 Expedition came with non-aggressive Hankook tires. I looked at what my options were (for when mine wear out) and found a Continental Cross Contact with a slightly more aggressive tread pattern, but the predicted mileage is no better than the others and they're around $950 online for a set of 4. Hopefully by then there will be more selection.

FWIW, we are on our second set of the Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires on our FWD Lincoln MKX. I rarely drive it as it's the wife's car; and she pays little attention to curbs...only to the gas gauge or a low tire pressure warning light . The first set lasted for a little over 50K miles but wear was likely accelerated by worn struts and iffy alignment for many of those miles. They are nice, quiet tires and handle well

AlaskanEx 06-10-2019 11:55 AM

My F-150 Limited came with factory 22s and Pirelli tires. they lasted all of 25k miles before being totally bald. I replaced them with Nitto Terra Grappler A/T tires which have 30-35k miles on them now with 60% left all around. I am NOT a fan of the traction the Nittos give, but they are lasting much longer then the factory tires did. I drive pretty aggressive also.

glockholiday 06-17-2019 11:14 PM

My 15' EL 4x4 has the 18" wheels and came with 275/65/18 Goodyear Wrangler SRA. They lasted about 35K I replaced them with 10 ply load range E Michelin Defenders and they lasted 75K miles. I just replaced them with Michelin ATs and am still expecting 50-60K out of them. Michelin makes a Defender in the 285/45/22 I'd try those. Also are the tires worn more on the inside and outside edges but still look OK in the middle? That means they're overloaded or under inflated. Ford put too low of pressure recommendation on the door. I think 36psi. I ran 45-50psi the whole 75K and they are flat and even. I'd run them 5-10psi higher than the door sticker. If you still cant get any more miles out of your tires I'd put those 22s on the curb where they belong and at least step down to a 20" wheel. Love my 18s

glockholiday 06-17-2019 11:18 PM

I guess I could back up my dislike for larger wheels. I carpooled with a guy that had an 11' Expedition with 17" wheels, he bought some 20" wheels and when he picked me up he said he thought the tire shop screwed something up because it was riding rough as hell. It was just the low profile sidewall transferring every bump to the vehicle because theres no sidewall flex. When we got to work we checked his tire pressure because we thought maybe they had them at max pressure or something but they were in the mid 30s so I'll never give up ride quality for what some people think are good looks. And I offroad so I like gaining the extra footprint and traction when I air down. I know these newer suspensions handle it a lot better but I felt the difference first hand and its not worth it to me.

glockholiday 06-17-2019 11:22 PM

And the first set of Pirellis you had had a treadwear rating of 600 and the new plus models have a 740 so they should last a bit longer. Mileage warranty doesnt always correspond to how long a tire will last.

Beechkid 06-18-2019 05:19 PM

Since you bought your Expy, China bought Pirelli...shut down all us & European mfg sites and it is all made in china now......IMHO, I would get shivers up my spine to drive a vehicle with these on it.

johnkn 06-18-2019 11:52 PM

I almost immediately replaced my original 22" Verdes with the Plus model when my Expedition was new and I had the factory wheels chromed. They had 72k miles on them when I traded it in. Wear and performance on my set was exceptional, actually much better than I ever expected. Good luck...

johnkn 06-19-2019 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Beechkid (Post 18712579)
Since you bought your Expy, China bought Pirelli...shut down all us & European mfg sites and it is all made in china now......IMHO, I would get shivers up my spine to drive a vehicle with these on it.

Pirellis are still manufactured all around the world including locations in the U.S. They are the OEM tires on the $350k Mclaren 720s which is a high 9, very low 10 second car from the factory as well as many other high performance cars.

Beechkid 06-19-2019 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by johnkn (Post 18713211)
Pirellis are still manufactured all around the world including locations in the U.S. They are the OEM tires on the $350k Mclaren 720s which is a high 9, very low 10 second car from the factory as well as many other high performance cars.

Uh, I hate to tell this, but the chemical company "ChemChina" bought Pirelli a few years ago, all but 2 of the remaining plants in the US had already been closed, with the last US plant (New haven Connecticut), closed January 15, 2001 and Hanford, California (when still owned by the Milan based company).

see formal company announcement:

replex.alcusials.com

https://www.latimes.com/business/aut...806-story.html

In 2003, the Chinese re-opened (1) plant in Rome, Georgia, but production is very limited and the bulk of tire manufacturing is from overseas.....and the quality, well, let me tell the exact words of a very good friend and neighbor said, "the original Pirellis were great (2017 oem-porsche 911), I went back to the dealer to get the exact tires- these tires are crap- they are just not wearing right (not only referring to mileage but wear patterns)- they have tried force balancing them twice and checked the alignment but they just don't ride or even drive the same". On his 3rd trip to the porsche dealer, the service manager advised and showed him the tires are manufactured in china and that many customers can tell the difference....IMHO, because of QA issues and American (high end consumer), that is why they chose to re-open the 1 plant here.

The Chinese while still having mfg abroad, are closing/consolidating/right-sizing plants across the world.....

https://www.european-rubber-journal....ations-brazil/

Perhaps the greatest indicator of what I will call "sloppy" mfg from china includes some very basic & rudimentary 'oversights'.....such as in 2016 when the P Zero Trofeo was manufactured without a data code, so they area illegal to be sold in the US (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard)...now although this is a rudimentary oversight, this represents IMHO the foundation of environment of the company's new top executives......and there are issues beyond what is appropriate to post here....

again, just IMHO...……...

johnkn 06-19-2019 11:24 AM

You stated above: "Since you bought your Expy, China bought Pirelli...shut down all us & European mfg sites and it is all made in china now......"

From Pirellis site today:

https://corporate.pirelli.com/corpor...ing-and-retail

Headquartered and World Wide R&D in Malan Italy, (JK: China Owned)
19 factories in 12 countries (to include the US)

From Allamericanreviews/besttires dated 24-May-2019

Pirelli

Pirelli is a double whammy – they are an Italian manufacturer and are owned by a Chinese company called ChemChina. They have a huge footprint across the globe (facilities in 13 countries) and also maintain a few production facilities in the U.S.

Here are the Pirelli U.S. DOT codes to look for on their tires:
  • CH – Hanford, California
  • CK – Madison, Tennessee
  • JR – Rome, Georgia

Beechkid 06-19-2019 05:45 PM

Please read my more detailed reply above...… as they initially shut down every mfg in the US, then opened 1 back up, the other is very recent of which I was not aware of.....but, they have extremely management & production QA issues that are continuing...………….

johnkn 06-19-2019 06:18 PM

You stated 'China bought Pirelli...shut down all us & European mfg sites and it is all made in china now'

Pirelli continues to manufacture around the world.

They can't be too bad, they are OEM tires on these:

Aston martin

Pagani
Mercedes AMG
porsche
jaguar svr
mclaren
bmw motorsport
bentley
lamborghini
ferrari
audi sport
maserati

There isn't a single manufacturer above who would jeopardize their brand's reputation on a tire selection.

mothnuts 06-24-2019 03:33 AM

I replaced the 22” Hankook tires on our ‘19 Expedition with the Michelin Defender before it left the dealership. Very quiet and drives nicely down the road. We live in the country and it is impressive on mud roads as well. We had the Continental CrossContant LX20 on our ‘17 Tahoe with 20” wheels. They drove nice on smooth dry pavement, but were scary on a wet highway and about worthless in mud.