Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other; Brakes, Electrical, Hitches, Weight Distribution & CDL Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum290/)
-   -   Trailing issue (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1584101-trailing-issue.html)

Zach Keppley 05-22-2019 09:10 AM

Trailing issue

Good morning fellow ford owners! I'm having a bit of an issue with my truck recognizing when I have a trailer connected. Right now with no trailer when I turn my truck on the screen goes right to trailer status with a recorded amount of miles every time I turn it on it goes to this screen. when I attach a trailer it stays on the same screen as if it knows I've attached a trailer but when I adjust the gain a warning pops up that says "no trailer attached". i have called my local Dealership but they just want me to bring it in. any help would be appreciated

BPofMD 05-23-2019 11:53 AM

Anyone wanting to answer your post would need the Year/model of truck and trailer. Make it in your signature. For instance look at mine below ! Go to your CP to do it.

Zach Keppley 05-23-2019 12:35 PM

[QUOTE=Zach Keppley;18666470]Good morning fellow ford owners! I'm having a bit of an issue with my truck recognizing when I have a trailer connected. Right now with no trailer when I turn my truck on the screen goes right to trailer status with a recorded amount of miles every time I turn it on it goes to this screen. when I attach a trailer it stays on the same screen as if it knows I've attached a trailer but when I adjust the gain a warning pops up that says "no trailer attached". I have called my local Dealership but they just want me to bring it in. any help would be appreciated. I have a 2017 F250 6.2

Zach Keppley 05-23-2019 12:45 PM

Thank you BPofMD will do.

BPofMD 05-23-2019 03:06 PM

What is the "trailer" you connected too? Does it have a 7 pin umbilical cord?

Zach Keppley 05-23-2019 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by BPofMD (Post 18669174)
What is the "trailer" you connected too? Does it have a 7 pin umbilical cord?

One was a dump trailer with the round 7 pin connector the other was a rental trailer with the 4 pin connector

Chuck's First Ford 05-24-2019 05:43 AM

4 pin has NO brakes... so NO trailer detected.... as truck is looking ( sensing ) NO trailer brakes.

as the the 7 pin.... poor connection... water/dirt inside truck side 7 pin ....
even the brass pins are oxidized... you can clean them.. both the truck side and trailer side.

and ADD your truck information to your signature.... many more people will be willing to help you..
my opinion...

I normally do NOT help without truck information... but you did post it after it was asked for.
we can not read minds.. or see your truck.
Thank You.

Zach Keppley 05-24-2019 02:27 PM

Thank you for all of the information, I will be checking on the oxidized pins on my truck. As for my signature, I am in the process trying to figure that out but for your information, I received a personal message from FTE that says
**Please note that you gain access to all of the site's features once you've been registered for 10 days and have made 5 posts within the community** so please give new members some grace regarding features they don't have access to.

2017 Ford F250 6.2 Ruby Red

Chuck's First Ford 05-24-2019 02:55 PM

and yet we have members here for years without any signature.

seventyseven250 05-24-2019 05:24 PM

As was mentioned above, my first step in diagnosing any kind of trailer electrical issue is to look at the trailer plug. They corrode and get dirty very often. On a previous truck, I could never get the 7-way plug to connect well, even after cleaning, so I replaced the truck-side connection, and it worked great after that. It's not a particularly tough job.

Another couple forum tips, on top of having your truck details in your signature.
- Put your location in your profile. You'd be amazed how many questions will be answered differently if you live in Texas vs Alberta.
- Make your thread title as descriptive as possible. For this thread you could have used "Truck doesn't recognize trailer connection" or something. You'll get more responses with a clear thread title, because that's what people see first and not everyone clicks every thread.

Good luck out there truckers!