Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Shutter during acceleration (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1584051-shutter-during-acceleration.html)

JamesJ4 05-21-2019 09:10 PM

Shutter during acceleration

Hello all, I’m new to posting on the site. I did a search for this subject but couldn’t seem to find any info in the forums so I apologize if this has been asked and answered already (doing this all via cell phone)
Friday i bought a 1992 F-150 Custom, automatic (E40D) with a straight 6 and 244,xxx miles. She’s rough but I’ve seen worse. Question is while getting her road ready to be my daily driver for work I noticed a slight shutter during acceleration usually over 40mph. If I give a little gas she shutters lightly or if I’m cruising at 55 or so and hold steady she shakes a bit until I take my foot completely off the gas for a second and press it back. Way back in the 90s I owned a 93 that did the same thing but we traded it in before getting a fix on it so i’m Sort of lost on what to start trouble shooting to narrow it down to fix. Is this a common problem that anyone has experienced? Seems like it might be since I’m 2/2 on 9th gen fords doing this. Thanks in advance for any help.

Briansshop 05-22-2019 05:27 AM

Have you had a look at the spark plugs? I'd start there.

JamesJ4 05-22-2019 06:43 AM

yea, that was my first check. I changed the Plugs, wires, cap and rotor last weekend. still shuttering. I drove it for the first time today to work and i noticed it basically starting in 3rd gear right before it shifts to 4th, then again in 4th gear right before shifting to 5th, once its in 5th it shutters at most any time i speed up.

timbersteel 05-22-2019 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by JamesJ4 (Post 18666179)
yea, that was my first check. I changed the Plugs, wires, cap and rotor last weekend. still shuttering. I drove it for the first time today to work and i noticed it basically starting in 3rd gear right before it shifts to 4th, then again in 4th gear right before shifting to 5th, once its in 5th it shutters at most any time i speed up.

Lucky for you, there isn't 5 gears for the E4OD. Just as it says, it's only an Electronic 4 speed Transmission.

Have you checked for stored codes? The CEL doesn't need to be on.

Does the OD light flash on the end of the column shifter?

Without checking for codes, you will end up chasing your tail and could possibly change out good parts for junk from the parts store.

JamesJ4 05-22-2019 09:38 AM

not sure what i was thinking when i wrote that. My mistake about automatic with 5 speed...rookie forum mistake.

I just bought a cheap OBD1 code reader that will be here today or tomorrow to help narrow down the problems hopefully, you're 100% correct though run the codes then start trouble shooting, that was my plan but just in case i wanted to see if anyone had this issue as well..

i'll have to check if the OD light comes on, i havent looked yet. If it doesnt does that mean something?

torq'ta 5 8 05-22-2019 10:21 AM

2wd? 4wd? rear gear? was/is your check engine light on, is why you was getting code reader

JamesJ4 05-22-2019 11:46 AM

its 2wd, check engine light is on and want to see what codes are being thrown. Check engine will pop on right after i get out of my driveway.

sandymane 05-22-2019 01:49 PM

Have you checked the Transmission fluid level? Do you know if the truck was in one of our floods? If you want to check codes today reply and I'll tell you how to do it with a paperclip jumper. I had a E4OD trans in a 94 that was doing about what you describe and it was the computer PCM. The E4OD is computer controlled. There is also a connection on the passenger side IIRC of the transmission that can be cleaned up and make good things happen if you want to try that today. Sandy

JamesJ4 05-22-2019 02:17 PM

Truck has been in Center/Carthage Texas for the last 10 years, no flood damage thank God. Trans Fluid level is good and looks clean (almost too clean like it may have been changed fairly recently). It has a small leak at the front of the pan but not enough to see any on the driveway so thats another project to eliminate the fluid leaks on the truck...
I think i had read somewhere before that the computer may cause this problem but i of course forgot about it until you mentioned it...
hopefully once i get off work today i'll get under there and try to clean off that connection, if not then i'll have to wait until i'm off on Friday to try it out.

I'm really new to this page but i'll try to figure out how to send a PM to you about the DIY code reading. I do appreciate the tips and help with this!

sandymane 05-22-2019 02:29 PM

You are welcome to send a PM but here is a video that explains it pretty well. Just use a paperclip instead of the jumper wire he shows. Engine should be at operating temp for testing with a reader or jumper. You can just let it idle for 10 minutes or so if you don't want to drive it. Sandy

JamesJ4 05-22-2019 02:47 PM

Thanks for taking the time to post this and help me! I'll try this when i get home tonight to see what i can find out.