Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Wheel runout, tank mods and other stuff (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1583612-wheel-runout-tank-mods-and-other-stuff.html)

bigb56 05-17-2019 10:20 PM

Wheel runout, tank mods and other stuff

After losing two weekends due to being sick I am getting ready to drop the tank tomorrow since when I did the Hutch mod I re-used my old pickup foot, that was 9 years ago so I decided to install a fresh one. Meanwhile I got all the wheels off the ground and fitted up a dial indicator to check lateral runout on the wheels after my bone crushing pothole incident in Mexico last month. Little to no runout, worst was driver's front at .006". So I think I'm OK on that. I read somewhere that up to .050 was acceptable. On to the tank tomorrow, then the Racor install. By the way, is it OK to re-use the fuel injection clamps from the Hutch mod? I ordered new ones from Amazon but not sure when they will get here.

BBslider001 05-18-2019 08:03 AM

Mind telling what they are called on Amazon? No one seems to know. I have reused in the past with no problems.

bigb56 05-18-2019 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by BBslider001 (Post 18659130)
Mind telling what they are called on Amazon? No one seems to know. I have reused in the past with no problems.

I just used the link Sous provided in his thread

aawlberninf350 05-19-2019 01:14 AM

I'd reuse the injection clamps as long as they are not distorted.

Really glad to hear the runout was so good after that Mexican crater. Ford tough!

'88 E-350 05-19-2019 02:17 AM

I don't know of any reason not to use them as long as they're not damaged. Since you're changing the foot, I hope it's not a Dorman. I installed one a short time back and it fell apart so I suggest sticking with OE. I've put a lot of unconventional stuff in my fuel tank so initially I thought maybe I had something to do with its early demise, but I looked at reviews on Amazon and discovered that many others have had the same problem. The material swells allowing the valve to fall out so you suck air kinda like when the foot is broken, the screen also falls out. OE on amazon is under $40, dealer price is just under $60. I didn't want to have it disabled for 2 days waiting for the part so I bit the $60 bullet.

Tugly 05-19-2019 06:37 AM

Yeah... unless dropping the tank gives you a thrill, I'd put good stuff in there. As long as the clamps are fuel injector clamps, keep on using them. If they're helical clamps, I'd trade them in for fuel injector clamps.

bigb56 05-19-2019 08:20 AM

The clamps turned out to be ordinary worm clamps so I will used the new injection clamps that showed up yesterday. The foot was indeed broken off and the new one is OEM from Clay. Probably going to replace the lines to the pump today simply because I will not be able to remove it from the barbs on my Baldwin filter base and I am switching to the Racor PS-120 today. Why does everyone use 3/8" hose? Wouldn't 5/16" fit tighter and isn't it the OEM size? Maybe 5/16" won't fit onto the barbed fittings on the filter base? Bone stock here no need for big fuel.

CousinCarl 05-19-2019 09:08 AM

Use 5/16 from racor to pump, 3/8 from racor to tank.

Tugly 05-19-2019 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by CousinCarl (Post 18660881)

This... but the 3/8" tube from Racor to pump does help with bigger injectors. Also... use 45-degree fittings on the Racor instead of 90-degree.

bigb56 05-19-2019 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tugly (Post 18661107)
Also... use 45-degree fittings on the Racor instead of 90-degree.

What's the reason? Not sure I have enough line to do that. (see next post)

bigb56 05-19-2019 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by CousinCarl (Post 18660881)

That was my plan until I went to disconnect the old Baldwin and I found I have AN fittings on it. So I ordered AN to NPT fittings just now from Jegs so I can just screw them into the Racor and I'll be good to go. I like the AN fittings and they make it easy to remove the filter head if needed, open the line for troubleshooting, or even swap the Baldwin back in should something happen to the Racor. My Hutch mod was the pre made kit from Dieselsite and must have included the hoses with AN fittings so I will leave well enough alone as they have been trouble free for 9 years and the hoses are still in great shape.

Tugly 05-20-2019 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by bigb56 (Post 18661186)
What's the reason? Not sure I have enough line to do that. (see next post)

It actually reduces the amount of tubing needed, but that's not the reason I did it. Before this mod, there were no hard turns in the suction line, and I find no reason to introduce them. I had issues with the fuel pressure dipping more than I want it to, and changing the fittings to 45s didn't make a huge difference - but it got me in the comfort zone.

bigb56 05-20-2019 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tugly (Post 18662268)
It actually reduces the amount of tubing needed, but that's not the reason I did it. Before this mod, there were no hard turns in the suction line, and I find no reason to introduce them. I had issues with the fuel pressure dipping more than I want it to, and changing the fittings to 45s didn't make a huge difference - but it got me in the comfort zone.

Then I am confused. Right now my line comes off the tank and gently drops inside the frame rail near the top and straight into the filter which is mounted high on the frame rail. From there is comes straight out of the other side of the filter, drops slightly downward and straight into the pump. If I add 90s it would make additional bends, what am I missing?

slowsure 05-20-2019 03:42 PM

I also used straight fittings into and out of the RACOR PS-120 filter between tank and pump when doing the Hutch/Harpoon mod. Not sure why a 90 or a 45 would be an advantage?

I also did not use the foot. I thought it was just something that would fall apart, again, inside the tank. Ended up just running the pickup down close to the bottom of the tank.

Tugly 05-21-2019 06:29 AM

If your system works straight, that's ideal. I mounted mine so high on the frame that used angled fittings.

Here's an earlier photo before I swapped to 45 degree fittings:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...904d54063b.jpg