Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Ways to improve the brakes on 05' Super Duty? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1583400-ways-to-improve-the-brakes-on-05-super-duty.html)

imq707s 05-16-2019 06:55 AM

Ways to improve the brakes on 05' Super Duty?

I've had my 05' Super Duty for a few years now. I really like the truck, but the brakes have always been sub par. They work, but they just don't compare to any of the newer trucks I've driven. I've flushed all the old fluid out with fresh DOT4 fluid, I've flushed the hydroboost system out with fresh synthetic ATF fluid, I've put new OEM rotors and Wagner HD pads on the front along with new front calipers, and new rubber lines. I haven't done much with the rears except new pads.

Even after all of this, the truck just doesn't stop as well as I'd like. Don't get me wrong, it will come to a pretty quick stop if I really stop on the pedal.......but you really have to stomp on it if you want to stop in a hurry....I can stop just as fast in other trucks I've driven with a pretty light foot.

Is this just how these trucks are? Are the brakes just not as good as the newer trucks? Is there any other ways to improve the brake feel on these trucks?

Thanks!

beachcamperf250 05-16-2019 08:09 AM

I swapped mine out with EBC yellow pads and rotors and saw a huge improvement, I almost hit the windshield while breaking them in, was not used to that kind of stopping power.

geekwithoutacause 05-16-2019 09:04 AM

Did you make sure you cleaned and greases the slide pins?
You probably want some fancy rotors and pads in the front.
It is a super duty (super heavy) after all so don't compare to an f150.

imq707s 05-16-2019 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by geekwithoutacause (Post 18655804)
Did you make sure you cleaned and greases the slide pins?
You probably want some fancy rotors and pads in the front.
It is a super duty (super heavy) after all so don't compare to an f150.

I put brand new calipers up front.....with brake new greased pins.

I've tried the "fancy" rotors before on other trucks. I put a set of those power stop slotted rotors on my last truck, and honestly....they didn't help at all. If you think about it, the slots are for "outgassing".....something you would see on a track or race car when you get the rotors glowing not. On a street car/truck...all the slots do is give you less contact area for the pads to grab. If slotted rotors were really a great idea, factory trucks would come with them....but they don't.

As far as using EBC yellow pads.....isn't that their race/track pad? Is that the best choice for a truck you are going to tow with? I bet they chew the hell out of your rotors don't they?

geekwithoutacause 05-16-2019 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by imq707s (Post 18655882)
I put brand new calipers up front.....with brake new greased pins.

I've tried the "fancy" rotors before on other trucks. I put a set of those power stop slotted rotors on my last truck, and honestly....they didn't help at all. If you think about it, the slots are for "outgassing".....something you would see on a track or race car when you get the rotors glowing not. On a street car/truck...all the slots do is give you less contact area for the pads to grab. If slotted rotors were really a great idea, factory trucks would come with them....but they don't.

As far as using EBC yellow pads.....isn't that their race/track pad? Is that the best choice for a truck you are going to tow with? I bet they chew the hell out of your rotors don't they?

Don't get anything 'race' pad or rotor. It's a superduty, not a racecar. Also don't get the slotted rotors. More mass is better for these trucks. I wonder if you are breaking in the pads correctly. Try scuffing/cleaning the rotors up and do another couple break-in cycles. Also check the pistons to see if they move pretty good.
I'm on stock rotors and they work well.

beachcamperf250 05-16-2019 11:28 AM

They make a mess on my wheels but they stop me.

Ford F-250 Super Duty EBC Brake Pads | EBC Red Stuff Brake Pads | EBC Yellow Stuff Brake Pads | EBC GreenStuff Brake Pads

Djosbun 05-16-2019 12:05 PM

Shock absorbers play a significant role in the stopping ability of a vehicle, as do the tires. Now obviously this will not affect the brake pedal feel but it will play a role in the stopping distance of the truck. That is why it is important to pay attention to the stopping distances, both dry and wet, when reading tire comparison tests.

— Dave

Bently_Coop 05-16-2019 12:08 PM

I have Hawk LTS pads and PowerSlot Cryo rotors on my 1999 CCSB V10, recently added some PMF stainless braided lines and it stops great.

The slotted rotors help the pad from glazing which I really like.

geekwithoutacause 05-16-2019 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Djosbun (Post 18656132)
Shock absorbers play a significant role in the stopping ability of a vehicle, as do the tires. Now obviously this will not affect the brake pedal feel but it will play a role in the stopping distance of the truck. That is why it is important to pay attention to the stopping distances, both dry and wet, when reading tire comparison tests.

— Dave

He would know if he made a big stop and his shocks are bad. It's VERY obvious and can be flat out dangerous.Really has nothing to do with what he describes; having to push down hard to get some stopping power.

Djosbun 05-16-2019 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by geekwithoutacause (Post 18656147)
He would know if he made a big stop and his shocks are bad. It's VERY obvious and can be flat out dangerous.Really has nothing to do with what he describes; having to push down hard to get some stopping power.

Yes, he would know if his shocks were completely shot, but if you go back and read my post I was speaking about stopping distance. A brand new shock will yield a shorter stopping distance (all things being equal) over the same model shock that is worn. Not destroyed bad worn but 75,000 miles worn. I have quite a few years of shock dyno experience and chassis setup experience.

As stayed, stopping distance and not brake pedal feel.

— Dave

geekwithoutacause 05-16-2019 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Djosbun (Post 18656574)
Yes, he would know if his shocks were completely shot, but if you go back and read my post I was speaking about stopping distance. A brand new shock will yield a shorter stopping distance (all things being equal) over the same model shock that is worn. Not destroyed bad worn but 75,000 miles worn. I have quite a few years of shock dyno experience and chassis setup experience.

As stayed, stopping distance and not brake pedal feel.

— Dave

Nah, on a super duty it might make a little difference but that's not what he described. I know exactly what he is talking about. My 01 was similar. I'm betting on heavy deposited/glazed over rotors. That's a night and day difference compared to 'worn' shocks and having to push hard before some action matches that symptom.

Let's try the easy solutions first before he dumps 100's on shocks and it still isn't fixed.

imq707s 05-17-2019 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Djosbun (Post 18656132)

— Dave

I have pretty new Bilstein 5100 shocks on the truck.

imq707s 05-17-2019 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by geekwithoutacause (Post 18656584)
Nah, on a super duty it might make a little difference but that's not what he described. I know exactly what he is talking about. My 01 was similar. I'm betting on heavy deposited/glazed over rotors. That's a night and day difference compared to 'worn' shocks and having to push hard before some action matches that symptom.

Let's try the easy solutions first before he dumps 100's on shocks and it still isn't fixed.

Did you read my original post? It's got new rotors, new pads, new rubber brake likes, new calipers........

seville009 05-17-2019 07:02 AM

Had alot of problems with the front brakes of my 2006 F350 5.4l for years - mainly sticking and smoking. Kept having various brake shops do the work. Finally had the Ford dealer do it with Motorcraft parts and they worked perfectly after that.

geekwithoutacause 05-17-2019 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by imq707s (Post 18657368)
Did you read my original post? It's got new rotors, new pads, new rubber brake likes, new calipers........

Yes, but all it takes is a bad breaking in of the pads/rotors and you have this.
How did you break them in ?