Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Sunroof Solution to noise / sticking - Lube it (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1583341-sunroof-solution-to-noise-sticking-lube-it.html)

GrantGunderson 05-15-2019 04:25 PM

Sunroof Solution to noise / sticking - Lube it

With the 90 degree weather last week I started using my sunroof again. Only issue is the damn thing wouldnt open. After finally using the vent button to break the seal, it would then open. Looking at all of the seals and tracks they where bone dry. The heat was causing the seals to basically glue themselves to the glass. So I looked up the sunroof service in the Ford factory service manual and it called for lubricating the seals and tracks with Krytox. I ordered it from amazon applied it and now the sunroof is quite, opens smooth as glass.

nuctrooper 05-15-2019 05:06 PM

I have been using 3M brand Silicone Spray (DRY) and it is working like a champ. Not sure what the Krytox formulation is, but I agree that the right lube has eliminated all of the popping and sticking I used to have and I am no longer hesitant to open the sunroof!

pdose 05-15-2019 05:15 PM

This is a great piece of information. I personally believe this piece of maintenance is overlooked by most owners and many dealers. Many are afraid of using their panoramic sunroofs but I keep the seals and rails lubricated and don’t think twice about opening it if the weather is nice

Adam R 05-15-2019 11:41 PM

I was planning on using some silicone grease to lube mine when I receive my truck. I’ve used this grease (scuba diver o-ring grease) to lube the window track rubber on 20+ year vehicles with great success. I’d wager that this “sticking” is the main cause of broken sunroof tracks.

GrantGunderson 05-16-2019 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Adam R (Post 18655411)
I was planning on using some silicone grease to lube mine when I receive my truck. I’ve used this grease (scuba diver o-ring grease) to lube the window track rubber on 20+ year vehicles with great success. I’d wager that this “sticking” is the main cause of broken sunroof tracks.

I would imagine that teflon or silicon will work as well. However there is quite a bit of documentation online on various vehicle forums warning against using silicone on sunroofs and Krytox specifically states that it does not include silicone so I went with the mfg's recomendation. Plus a little goes a very long way.

zeroo 05-16-2019 06:09 AM

Sticking is 100% the reason the roof breaks, or 99.9%.

speakerfritz 05-16-2019 12:34 PM

well I am glad there is a specific ford recommendation. I just ordered it.

when I had my 2010 I had a problem with mirrors sticking and rear window sticking...I lubed them with some neutral spray lube...it made the problem worse as the lube acted like glue.

Adam R 05-16-2019 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by GrantGunderson (Post 18655453)
I would imagine that teflon or silicon will work as well. However there is quite a bit of documentation online on various vehicle forums warning against using silicone on sunroofs and Krytox specifically states that it does not include silicone so I went with the mfg's recomendation. Plus a little goes a very long way.

Thanks for the information. I’ll pick up some of that krytox lube.

nomad_archer 05-16-2019 03:50 PM

Which seals are you applying this too? The seal all around the glass or just the big seal between the two panes of glass? I wish this wasnt $30 for 1.9fl oz but I really dont like the alternative so I will pony up as my sunroof likes to pop even after being vented. It usually takes 2 pushes of the open button for the glass to move rearward.

dnoel 05-16-2019 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by nomad_archer (Post 18656469)
Which seals are you applying this too? The seal all around the glass or just the big seal between the two panes of glass? I wish this wasnt $30 for 1.9fl oz but I really dont like the alternative so I will pony up as my sunroof likes to pop even after being vented. It usually takes 2 pushes of the open button for the glass to move rearward.

Worse yet, it's for 1 oz. of fluid. 1.9 is the weight.

nomad_archer 05-16-2019 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by dnoel (Post 18656538)
Worse yet, it's for 1 oz. of fluid. 1.9 is the weight.

:-banghead DOH!!! I gotta read a little slower. Stuff must be gold.

ExDakotaOwner 05-16-2019 06:04 PM

Wish I saw this a year ago...Mine is broke and had to pay $100 to get it closed (was stuck open)

Xwild 05-16-2019 08:12 PM

did it specifically call for that version of krytox? as there are a number of krytox products..

GrantGunderson 05-16-2019 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by nomad_archer (Post 18656469)

I applied it to all seals and edges. It probably only used 1/10 of what came in the container so a little goes a very long ways. I would recommend wiping the dirt off the seals with a clean microfiber cloth first as well.

GrantGunderson 05-16-2019 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Xwild (Post 18656861)
did it specifically call for that version of krytox? as there are a number of krytox products..

I posted a link to the correct stuff on amazon. It came with a reusable applicator as well.