Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   Thinking of changing my own oil. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1583310-thinking-of-changing-my-own-oil.html)

my_crib_too 05-15-2019 12:21 PM

Thinking of changing my own oil.

With my new 2019 6.2L, I'm thinking of changing my own oil at home. Been about a decade since I've done this. It looks so simple on the F250. Everything is out in the open.

Any tips or tricks you can share?

Have some mobile 1, Ford filter, grease gun.

Are people using a bucket to catch the used oil? Just the two grease fittings or are there more? Anything else to share?

Going back to changing my oil because it's a minimum of an hour at the dealership with their Quicklane. Generally more. Seems like I can do it myself faster.

Bruce

cob1181 05-15-2019 12:53 PM

I've done all my own oil changes since the truck was new. It's one of the easiest vehicles I've done. I use a large oil pan which works great. Two pieces of advice.... 1. don't do it on windy days. There is a lot of room underneath for the wind to blow the draining oil everywhere.
2. Dont use Mobil 1 oil filters on this engine. I used them for 4 oil changes and everytime they leaked. The first three leaked just enough that a single oil drop would be suspended on the bottom of the filter. I cleaned it off with a rag and the next day after driving, there would be another drop of oil on the bottom of the filter. The 4th one leaked enough that it dripped onto my driveway. I immediately switched that one out with a ford filter. 1000 miles later and the ford filter is still clean. I dont know why this happened. The filter dimensions appear to be the same.

cob1181 05-15-2019 12:55 PM

My F350 only has 2 grease fittings and they are on the front axle u joints

my_crib_too 05-15-2019 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by cob1181 (Post 18654542)
My F350 only has 2 grease fittings and they are on the front axle u joints

Thank you for the response, those are the two that I saw.

Bruce

my_crib_too 05-15-2019 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by cob1181 (Post 18654537)
I've done all my own oil changes since the truck was new. It's one of the easiest vehicles I've done. I use a large oil pan which works great. Two pieces of advice.... 1. don't do it on windy days. There is a lot of room underneath for the wind to blow the draining oil everywhere.
2. Dont use Mobil 1 oil filters on this engine. I used them for 4 oil changes and everytime they leaked. The first three leaked just enough that a single oil drop would be suspended on the bottom of the filter. I cleaned it off with a rag and the next day after driving, there would be another drop of oil on the bottom of the filter. The 4th one leaked enough that it dripped onto my driveway. I immediately switched that one out with a ford filter. 1000 miles later and the ford filter is still clean. I dont know why this happened. The filter dimensions appear to be the same.

Lots of good tips, thank you. Ford filter for me.

Bruce

kry226 05-16-2019 05:57 AM

I also always do my own maintenance. I just changed mine for the first time and in addition to what's already been said, I found the use of a longer funnel helpful as the oil fill is quite a bit lower than the intake and other appointments on the top side of the engine.

Also, the drain plug started to leak oil as soon as I broke the seal so be prepared for that. Most of my other vehicles, I was able get the plug off without spilling a drop or getting oil all over my hands. Not so in this case.

Have fun!

Chuck's First Ford 05-16-2019 07:02 AM

maintenance... its called work.. you will get your hands dirt...

pay me now, or pay me later.. I heard that someplace..:)

gone are the days of
canister type oil filters
oil bath air filters.

but then there was a day.. engines did NOT have oil filters..
or the day. engines did not have oil pans... "total loss oiling system"...
you adjusted the oil flow from the tank to bearings to the ground.. from the dashboard...

dam, < History >

Jack4x 05-16-2019 09:27 AM

Buy a Fumoto valve and you'll wonder why you ever messed with a drain plug.

my_crib_too 05-16-2019 10:32 AM

Which valve fits this truck?

Bruce

rvpuller 05-16-2019 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by my_crib_too (Post 18654500)
With my new 2019 6.2L, I'm thinking of changing my own oil at home. Been about a decade since I've done this. It looks so simple on the F250. Everything is out in the open.

Any tips or tricks you can share?

Have some mobile 1, Ford filter, grease gun.

Are people using a bucket to catch the used oil? Just the two grease fittings or are there more? Anything else to share?

Going back to changing my oil because it's a minimum of an hour at the dealership with their Quicklane. Generally more. Seems like I can do it myself faster.

Bruce

I don't know where you go for you oil changes but most of the ones I use all over the country at Quick Lanes are $50 - $55 out the door. Maybe after I'm off extended warranty I may change it myself if it's close to time and I'm home.

Denny

my_crib_too 05-16-2019 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by rvpuller (Post 18656063)
I don't know where you go for you oil changes but most of the ones I use all over the country at Quick Lanes are $50 - $55 out the door. Maybe after I'm off extended warranty I may change it myself if it's close to time and I'm home.

Denny

Denny,

Good information on cost. My main issue is around speed though. I'm sure that it's limited to just my local dealership but getting cars through is painful. Never seen workers move so slowly. They do good work but even with no others in line, it's an hour. On a Saturday morning with a few vehicles in line, its hours. Drop the truck off and pick it up later in the day. Should take the word quick off the building.

Bruce

Chuck's First Ford 05-16-2019 02:17 PM

oh, "Time"...since 1966...
20 minutes for this OLD man... walks with a cane... I do my own...
with my trusty Dog Bone creeper...since 1989.
do not forget to lube the door hinges... check all the lights..

I also still ride my motorcycle..

rvpuller 05-16-2019 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by my_crib_too (Post 18656179)
Denny,

Good information on cost. My main issue is around speed though. I'm sure that it's limited to just my local dealership but getting cars through is painful. Never seen workers move so slowly. They do good work but even with no others in line, it's an hour. On a Saturday morning with a few vehicles in line, its hours. Drop the truck off and pick it up later in the day. Should take the word quick off the building.

Bruce

I've learned to call ahead and make a appointment, it wasn't that wa a few years ago but it seems to be normal now plus I'm from out of town so not at the top of the list except for the dealership in Kerrville TX because we stop there every year and have it done when we are at a rally.

Denny

tibadoe 05-16-2019 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by my_crib_too (Post 18654500)

Any tips or tricks you can share?.......................

I have to agree that my F350 is about the easiest oil to change out............mostly after I installed a Fumoto valve. I did a oil change write up if you want to check it out: F350 6.2L Oil & Filter Change

my_crib_too 05-17-2019 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by tibadoe (Post 18656752)
I have to agree that my F350 is about the easiest oil to change out............mostly after I installed a Fumoto valve. I did a oil change write up if you want to check it out: F350 6.2L Oil & Filter Change

Wow, comprehensive write up. Thanks, enjoyed reading!

Bruce