Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Another great idea from ford (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1583286-another-great-idea-from-ford.html)

speakerfritz 05-15-2019 07:58 AM

Another great idea from ford

Encore to the foam used between metal seams in past years , I noticed today a bunch of water coming out of the door drain hole when I opened my door. I thought this was odd wondering why was the water not already drained. Upon examination it appears the door drain holes are nicely sealed by the door seal resulting in water being able to drain only when you open the door. I checked my rear pax door which I rarely open and water gushed out of the door drain as soon as I opened the door.

i guess the water is needed in case we get thirsty on long trips.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...f51ce64ca.jpeg

Joe T 05-15-2019 09:53 AM

Been like that since 2015 and same issue with my 2019.

Causes electrical shorts too.

Desert Don 05-15-2019 10:09 AM

Don’t you remember, back in the 1960’s.....................

FORD has a better idea!!!!!!!!! LOL. That was their advertising line.

speakerfritz 05-15-2019 10:31 AM

I’ll have to investigate the door seal. Maybe I can use a soldering gun to melt a hole on the seal where the square drain hole contacts .

Brent376 05-15-2019 11:27 AM

At least they wont rust now:-missingt

speakerfritz 05-15-2019 11:58 AM

It won’t rust becuase only iron will rust

but it will oxidize which is what aluminum does

and salt water will dissolve aluminum in a few hours

during hurricane sandy, the cars that went under for 6 hours only had plastic tabs in the fuse boxes....the aluminum portion of the fuses dissolved .

NotJustaTruck 05-15-2019 05:57 PM

Yeah, noticed that early on after washing truck. Always have to open door s and drain them. Thought about removing a small piece of the seal but have not bothered to look into it further

Definitely a "err, oops, hmmm" moment for Ford wonder if they promoted the "door designer" yet? Lol. That person or design team is probably in charge of making the new 2020's "more efficient"

Ford needs to hire a team of everyday average Joe's to come in and give the trucks a dose of reality checking by the fellas that actually use them. C'mon Ford get with it!! Lol

speakerfritz 05-15-2019 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by NotJustaTruck (Post 18654967)
Ford needs to hire a team of everyday average Joe's to come in and give the trucks a dose of reality checking by the fellas that actually use them. C'mon Ford get with it!! Lol

That would be a great idea

jimzpsd 05-15-2019 07:39 PM

Its not really a design flaw, its more like, use your doors more often and it will never become a problem. However, it seems the majority of crew cab owners have four doors is......... "just because", A lot of rear window motors die prematurely from the same reason........no one sits back there and opens the window, so the electric motor rusts out from lack of use and (Ford) gets the blame.

Crabbman P 05-15-2019 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by speakerfritz (Post 18654467)

during hurricane sandy, the cars that went under for 6 hours only had plastic tabs in the fuse boxes....the aluminum portion of the fuses dissolved .

If near a dissimilar metal it will corrode. But there are aluminum boats in Bristol Bay Alaska that have been in service for 50+ years.

xxxsherpa 05-15-2019 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Crabbman P (Post 18655093)
If near a dissimilar metal it will corrode. But there are aluminum boats in Bristol Bay Alaska that have been in service for 50+ years.

Crabbman, are you an ex-crabber out west?

Joe T 05-15-2019 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by jimzpsd (Post 18655071)
Its not really a design flaw, its more like, use your doors more often and it will never become a problem. However, it seems the majority of crew cab owners have four doors is......... "just because", A lot of rear window motors die prematurely from the same reason........no one sits back there and opens the window, so the electric motor rusts out from lack of use and (Ford) gets the blame.

Maybe but dont feel like it.

Desert Don 05-15-2019 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by speakerfritz (Post 18654467)

Salt solution, electricity, dis-similar metals..........don’t they call this electrolysis??

Louisville Joe 05-16-2019 12:38 AM

Pintos were like that. Only drained when the door was open. Right doors rusted out faster because they were used less.

Crabbman P 05-16-2019 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by xxxsherpa (Post 18655168)
Crabbman, are you an ex-crabber out west?

No, but I'm currently still a crabber out east, lol. Chesapeake bay.