Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   1999-2007 Super Duty Stock Tow Mirrors: What TT Mirrors Came on Which Truck? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1582927-1999-2007-super-duty-stock-tow-mirrors-what-tt-mirrors-came-on-which-truck.html)

Steve56 05-11-2019 10:31 PM

1999-2007 Super Duty Stock Tow Mirrors: What TT Mirrors Came on Which Truck?

First off I'd like to begin by mentioning this is my first time posting to the FTE forum despite actively visiting it for several years.

To begin, (obligatory forum post apology) if this is the wrong place in the forum for this to be posted, sorry. It's my first day here.

Some backstory: I own a 2007 XL Ford F250. Being an XL it has non-powered mirrors--no heated glass and no turn signal indicators either.

I've looked high and low on both this and other forums but can't seem to find a solid answer to what mirrors came with which year trucks/trim packages.

To simplify, while searching online for the original trailer tow mirrors that came with these trucks (the rounded ones with two separate pieces of glass) I've so far found four different kinds:
1. No power anything, fully manual.
2. Power adjustable ONLY.
3. Power adjustable with heated glass.
4. Power adjustable with heated glass and turn signal + running lights.

What I'm trying to find out is which mirrors came with which year trucks and trims.

With my truck being an XL I have the 1st style of mirrors I listed. However, I've looked at several 7.3 Ford F250s of friends and coworkers that have powered towing mirrors but no heat symbol on the glass.

Then when looking on eBay, I came across powered tow mirrors WITH heated glass but no turn signal switch backs. But I can't recall ever noticing the heated glass symbol on the powered (but no turn signal light style) mirrors on the many '99-07 F250 & 350 trucks I've driven.

In other, simpler words, what trims/years (99-07 super duty) came with just power heated tow mirrors without the turn signal lights in them?

To put it even simpler (and sneak in another question) what style of OEM tow mirrors came stock on years (99-07) and trim levels (XL/XLT/LARIAT)?

My basic understanding gleaned from various forum postings and my own empirical evidence having been around these trucks for a looong time is the 7.3 XLs came with the non-powered (no heat, power adjust, or turn signal/running light) TT mirrors, the 7.3 XLTs came with power adjust TT mirrors,and the 7.3 Lariats came with power adjustable and heated TT mirrors (again, no lights though).

Then, the 6.0 XLs came with non-powered (no heat, power adjust, or turn signal/running light) mirrors, and both the 6.0 XLTs and Lariats came with power adjustable TT mirrors with heated glass and the turn signal/running light switch backs.

Am I even close to being right or am I totally off the mark? I really apologize if this post comes across as being pedantic, but I'm a real stickler when it comes to nailing down what the stock configuration of these trucks were, especially when you're the third or fourth owner down the line and would like to return the truck to how it was ordered and configured when it rolled off the dealership lot.

If anyone would be so kind as to take the time and clarify it would be greatly appreciated and put this little conundrum behind me. Of course I did trying speaking to several Ford parts departments on the matter but got conflicting info, and that was on the good days when the service department actually even had a clue of what I was asking.

Here's hoping at least one person is able to point me in the right direction. It doesn't help Ford has pulled almost all the literature (spec sheets, brochures, trim comparisons) for the 99-07 Super Dutys from their website as of late.

P.S. I've added pictures as a reply to this thread, in an effort to make this easier to sort out.

Steve56 05-11-2019 11:09 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...cf1af12bd9.jpg
1) No power adjust, heat, or turn signal.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...61b7c9419c.jpg
2) Power adjust ONLY.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...21d990f831.jpg
3) Power adjust w/ heat. NO turn signal.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...6152360358.jpg
4) Power adjust w/heat & turn signal indicators.

Steve56 05-12-2019 08:27 PM

In an effort to "bump" this thread, but also do so in a productive manner, I was doing some more digging this evening and just happened to find something that sheds just a little more light on the situation:
According to this post:

Super Duty's from 99-02 (if equipped) are power only - NON-lit, and NON-heated.
Starting in 03 (if equipped) they came pre-wired for power, lights & heat.

If you have a 99-02 you can use the stock pre-wired power wires to run the mirror adjustments. And you can tap into other wires for directional and heat feeds.
This leads me to believe that even the Lariat 7.3s ONLY had the power TT mirrors--no heat and no signals.
Then it all changed in 03/04 when the lighted mirrors came out. Barring the XL trim 6.0s, the XLTs and Lariat 6.0s came with the power adjust/heat/signal mirrors.... but you could have also gotten JUST the power adjustable/heat TT mirrors (but no signals) to save some $.
Does this sound right? Anyone want to chime in on what your truck (what year and trim) came with for TT mirrors?

moymurfs 05-13-2019 10:07 AM

You also have to factor in the various "convenience" or "safety" packages over those years that would include a different model of them, and even those were probably different among the 2,3,4,550 models.
I know my 06 250 xl has the bare bones model. Many people have swapped them with the later ( more squared) version.

Steve56 05-13-2019 01:33 PM

That's something I've definitely considered and noticed on the many different trucks I've driven and seen over the years. I'm just trying to look for a general rule-of-thumb, so to speak. E.g., All of the XLT-Lariat 2003-07 6.0 F250s and F350s I've looked at, generally speaking, came with the tow mirrors with heat and turn signals.

That seems to confirm what I've read in several other posts mentioning that the lighted mirrors weren't introduced until 2003 (see bold & underlined text):

F-250/350
New for 2003
  • All-new 6.0-liter Power Stroke diesel engine with
    325 hp and 550 lb-ft torque, reduced emissions and noise (available early 2003)
  • All-new five-speed TorqShift automatic transmission with 6.0-liter diesel (early 2003)
  • New FX4 Off-Road Package
  • King Ranch Package available on Crew Cabs
    (early 2003)
  • XLT Sport Package with four additional colors now available on Crew Cabs and SuperCabs
  • Improved durability of seat materials on XL trims
  • Inboard armrests standard on XL bucket seats
  • Standard driver-side grab handle on A-pillar
  • Tailgate lock standard on XL trim
  • Optional heated telescoping trailer tow mirrors with integrated turn signal (early 2003)
  • Optional power sliding moon roof on Crew Cabs
    (early 2003)
  • Vinyl 40/20/40 front seat now available on all XL trucks, not just fleet (early 2003)
  • Power seat option available on XLT Sport Package
  • Reverse proximity sensor available on XLT
    Sport Package
  • Snowplow Package can now be combined with
    Camper Package
  • New exterior color: Sonic Blue Clearcoat Metallic

Furthermore, of the many 99-02 XL, XLT & Lariat 7.3 F250 and F350s I've been in, none have had the running and turn signal lights. However, the XLT and Lariats also have power adjust capabilities. It was for this reason I was a little curious why there are the original TT mirrors floating around that have power adjust AND heat but no turn signals on them; unless they were for the early model Ford Excursions which of course had heated mirrors to go along with the heated rear defroster.

Still not totally sure and appreciate anybody who takes the time to chime in, even if you just reply with just your truck year & trim and the style TT mirrors your Super Duty came with.

Thanks!

ESV 05-13-2019 08:10 PM

I had a 2004 F250 XLT 6 speed manual that had none of the above. It had just normal small mirrors. Always annoyed me that they didn't put big mirrors on such a large truck.

Steve56 05-14-2019 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by ESV (Post 18651456)
I had a 2004 F250 XLT 6 speed manual that had none of the above. It had just normal small mirrors. Always annoyed me that they didn't put big mirrors on such a large truck.

It always did strike me as odd to see a Super Duty with those so-called "sport" mirrors. Never had the misfortune of owning or using a truck with those style mirrors but everyone I've spoken to all say that they are ridiculously undersized for such a large truck. Even some of the Excursions came with them stock!

Steve56 05-14-2019 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by ESV (Post 18651456)

Also, just out of curiosity, were those small mirrors your truck came with power adjustable?

Mark G1 05-14-2019 06:31 AM

The truck in my signature is a 2007 F250XL and it came with power adjustable heated tow mirrors with turn signals and marker lights.

Steve56 05-16-2019 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mark G1 (Post 18652058)
The truck in my signature is a 2007 F250XL and it came with power adjustable heated tow mirrors with turn signals and marker lights.

Did you buy yours from Ford like that or did it have those mirrors when you bought it used? Seems like even on the XLs (after '03) it became an option to have the heated/power/turn signal mirrors.

Also, dumb question but I take it your XL has the mirror power adjust control on the driver's door?

Mark G1 05-16-2019 01:27 PM

I bought the truck used a couple of years ago and they came with it. Yes, the drivers door has the power controls. I have the factory sheet on the truck somewhere. I will see if I can find it to see if these were original. I believe they were as no other upgrades were done to the truck.

EDIT: My truck does have the factory tow package with the Trailer Brake Controller. I guess it's possible the mirrors were part of that package.

super 6.8 05-16-2019 06:04 PM

My 2007 came with the full blown mirrors. When I ordered it I thought it was part of the heavy duty towing package.

It was definitely not a separate line item that I remember.

Steve56 05-18-2019 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by super 6.8 (Post 18656636)
My 2007 came with the full blown mirrors. When I ordered it I thought it was part of the heavy duty towing package.

It was definitely not a separate line item that I remember.

What trim level was your 07? XL, XLT, Lariat? Mine's an 07 XL with what I presume is the tow package (trailer brake controller stock along with tow mirrors) but I have fully manual mirrors.

Steve56 05-18-2019 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mark G1 (Post 18656259)
I bought the truck used a couple of years ago and they came with it. Yes, the drivers door has the power controls. I have the factory sheet on the truck somewhere. I will see if I can find it to see if these were original. I believe they were as no other upgrades were done to the truck.

EDIT: My truck does have the factory tow package with the Trailer Brake Controller. I guess it's possible the mirrors were part of that package.

Apologies for all the questions but does your XL have power windows? Pretty sure I read somewhere only trucks with power windows and locks had the harness in the door for the power mirrors. (My 07 has no power locks or windows, and no power mirrors as well but did come with the Trailer Brake Controller tow package.)

Mark G1 05-18-2019 11:55 AM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...d7369da6c.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...78444d296.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...133b79375.jpeg
Yes, I have power windows and door locks. It does not have remote keyless entry.