Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum69/)
-   -   A little help from the other side of the world (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1582726-a-little-help-from-the-other-side-of-the-world.html)

Justwanderinthrough 05-09-2019 09:11 PM

A little help from the other side of the world

Ok little background I’ll make it quick ish. My wife and I are currently overlanding through South America, at the moment we’re in Cusco , Peru. We’re driving my early 1999 F-250 CCSB, 7.3, 4x4 with automatic transmission. Been great so far. Problem at hand is as follows.... I upgraded the transmission cooler before we left for the trip to the 6.0 cooler that has 1/2” lines. Now when coming down one of the many and crazy mountain passes I went to hit the gas on te next incline and had no gears. Nothing forward or reverse. Turns out where the factory 3/8” transmission line connects to the barbed fittings that takes it to 1/2” came apart and dumped about half my fluid right there on the road. (I followed a small drop trail of fluid back up the road and found nothing major) So seems as if when I came coasting down the hill and mushed on the gas to get up the next hill the pressure caused the fittings to blow off.
Anyway, panic panic panic. Found he leak, hooked everything back together tossed in the 4 qts of extra fluid i had and I was able to get the truck off to the side of the road without being killed by crazy colectivo driver or run away semi.
I hitchhiked to the next town and bought what transmission fluid I could find which was Dexron III ( hope they’re compatible ish because I use Mercon V) topped it off and two hours driving later all seems while from the outside. Tomorrow I plan on pulling the pan off and see what I can.
My question is can any of you fine folks help me out of what parts are needed for a transmission rebuild if this does indeed become my reality? I’ll be putting some legwork into this in the next couple days but thought I’d start here. Any good kits? I’m not looking for crazy upgrades just basic rebuild. My truck is stock except for intake and small lift to fit 35’s. And I’d like to keep it that way. Plus I’ll have to have these parts shipped to Peru so that’s another bit of fun to figure out.

Fifty150 05-15-2019 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Justwanderinthrough (Post 18644874)
where the factory 3/8” transmission line connects to the barbed fittings that takes it to 1/2” came apart and dumped about half my fluid right there on the road. .

Did you use a hose clamp?

bought what transmission fluid I could find which was Dexron III ( hope they’re compatible ish because I use Mercon V) .

Which transmission is in your truck? There's a door jamb sticker with a transmission code.

You should know which transmission you have, so that you can be sure that you are using the correct ATF. Which fluid was specified for that transmission? No point worrying about it now, since you are planning a rebuild. You will have to drain all the fluid anyway. You will fill your rebuilt transmission with fresh fluid.

Tomorrow I plan on pulling the pan off and see what I can.
My question is can any of you fine folks help me out of what parts are needed for a transmission rebuild if this does indeed become my reality? I’ll be putting some legwork into this in the next couple days but thought I’d start here. Any good kits? I’m not looking for crazy upgrades just basic rebuild.

Plus I’ll have to have these parts shipped to Peru so that’s another bit of fun to figure out.

What did you see when you dropped the pan?

Which transmission is in your truck? There's a door jamb sticker with a transmission code.

Rebuild kits are all over the internet for Ford transmissions. But you will need to know which transmission you have, before you can shop, price, and compare kits. There are a few members who have professional insight. One active member is in the transmission business.

While you have the pan dropped, you may as well drain the torque converter. If you rebuild, you should fill with fresh fluid. If you don't refill, fill with fresh fluid so that you now have a baseline with fresh fluid. You won't have to wonder about the Dex III you added. Most people would suggest that you fill with Mercon V, since Mercon V is now the suggested fill for all of the older transmissions which called for Mercon. Unless you prefer a multi-vehicle ATF formulation like Mobil, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Valvoline, Lucas Oil, et cetera.

Fifty150 05-15-2019 03:11 AM

I think that most vendors will ship to Peru, as long as you are willing to pay for the shipping.

I'm interested in what you will have to pay for shipping.

Justwanderinthrough 05-15-2019 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Fifty150 (Post 18653843)
Did you use a hose clamp?

You should know which transmission you have, so that you can be sure that you are using the correct ATF. Which fluid was specified for that transmission? No point worrying about it now, since you are planning a rebuild. You will have to drain all the fluid anyway. You will fill your rebuilt transmission with fresh fluid.

What did you see when you dropped the pan?

Rebuild kits are all over the internet for Ford transmissions. But you will need to know which transmission you have, before you can shop, price, and compare kits. There are a few members who have professional insight. One active member is in the transmission business.

While you have the pan dropped, you may as well drain the torque converter. If you rebuild, you should fill with fresh fluid. If you don't refill, fill with fresh fluid so that you now have a baseline with fresh fluid. You won't have to wonder about the Dex III you added. Most people would suggest that you fill with Mercon V, since Mercon V is now the suggested fill for all of the older transmissions which called for Mercon. Unless you prefer a multi-vehicle ATF formulation like Mobil, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Valvoline, Lucas Oil, et cetera.

Yes sadly used hose clamps. I’ve double them up since this happen and have been searching for a proper crimp.... things are a little harder to come down here and I’ll have to wait until we get to larger city.

Im not sure how to read the door jam sticker to find out what transmission I have. Same sticker with vin and tire info correct. Guess I’ll google some more.

When i dropped the pan it was actually surprisingly clean. No chucks and very little fuzz on the magnet. Which I was pretty happy to see.

I filled it it back up with the only Mercon v I could find between here and Lima. They only have 10 qts so could do a flush. But she driving and shifting as normal. Once we get to the next big city I’ll continue with a search for MerconV and hopefully get it all flushed.

Side not not I was under the impression the TC and tranny are connected.... same fluid right. I realize just driving the pan doesn’t drain the TC but the new fluid I put in will mix into the TC correct?

Justwanderinthrough 05-15-2019 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Fifty150 (Post 18653845)
I think that most vendors will ship to Peru, as long as you are willing to pay for the shipping.

I'm interested in what you will have to pay for shipping.

I have no doubt it could get shipped the hard part Ian once it’s in Peru. Getting it to clear customs in a timely manner and then actually having it delivered to wherever.

Justwanderinthrough 05-15-2019 08:53 AM

Ok transmission code is E so guess I have the e4od. Which calls for MerconV. Everything I’ve read says dexIII “should be ok”....

Mark Kovalsky 05-15-2019 08:06 PM

You have a 4R100 transmission. 1997 was the last year for the E4OD. The 4R100 uses MERCON V.