Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   No fuel pressure at rail [Truck won’t start] 88 F-250 EFI 302 Before I went to FLA for the winter m (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1582334-no-fuel-pressure-at-rail-truck-won-t-start-88-f-250-efi-302-before-i-went-to-fla-for-the-winter-m.html)

runner 05-16-2019 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by vjsimone (Post 18656949)
Before you pull the valve out, disconnect the line going to the HP-Pump and see what comes out for each tank selection.

ok

ill let you know

runner 05-16-2019 09:25 PM

What are the positive results I should be looking for when I do this test?

do you think the valve is ok?

Tomorrow i was going to bypass the valve.

vjsimone 05-16-2019 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by runner (Post 18657012)
What are the positive results I should be looking for when I do this test?

Well, the positive result would be fuel out of each tank.
No fuel from either tank or fuel from just 1 tank, just proves your theory of an issue with the Valve.

runner 05-16-2019 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by vjsimone (Post 18657030)
Well, the positive result would be fuel out of each tank.
No fuel from either tank or fuel from just 1 tank, just proves your theory of an issue with the Valve.

Ok

so I do the KOEO and switch tanks. So I’m looking for a short flow of gas from each tank?

if gas flows out of both tanks then the valve is good? Is that correct?

should it be a strong steady flow from each tank?

if the test is positive, what would be the next step?

if not a positive test I’ll bypass the FSV. I have to go out and get hose clamps but already have the hoses so before I do that I’ll do the test.

i would think that the reason the front tank gas gets sucked into the rear tank would be an indicator that the valve is bad.

i really appreciate the help

runner

vjsimone 05-16-2019 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by runner (Post 18657064)
if gas flows out of both tanks then the valve is good? Is that correct? Yes
should it be a strong steady flow from each tank? Yes

By now you may have some air in the lines. Jump the Self-Test Connector so the pump runs continuously when you turn the key to on.

How much fuel do you have in each tank ?

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...d8e90ba22d.gif
Use a jumper between pin #2 & #6 for the pumps to run continuously when the key is switched on.

runner 05-16-2019 10:20 PM

Done this jumper test before to check fuel pressure

i have about 3 gallons in each tank.

so running the jumper test is to get the air out of the lines. I’ll try that and see what happens.

I tested the low pressure tank pumps and they are working

vjsimone 05-16-2019 10:36 PM

[QUOTE=runner;18657113]so running the jumper test is to get the air out of the lines. /QUOTE]

You might not see much of a flow with just the 1 second prime, and with a little bit of air in the valve, you may not see anything flow.
So it is better to run the pumps continuously and look for a steady stream.

runner 05-18-2019 04:47 PM

Hey Vinny! Here's the verdict..

Pulled the line from the HP fuel pump. I did the jumper test and no gas came out from the FSV on either tank. So I decided to bypass the valve and realized that I had the Front Tank FEED connected to the Rear tank FEED on the FSV. Now I know why the front tank gas was being pushed into the rear tank and couldn't start the truck Gezzzzzzz. I must of done this wrong connection last year when I rebuilt the valve because that's when the issues started. I should know better but it happens.

I just use this wonderful F250 for plowing my driving way and hauling big items etc. So I don't need 2 tanks, But I will look at the valve again, pull it completely apart and rebiuld OR buy a new one if I find an good deal.

I bypassed the valve to the front tank and all is GOOD! Runs beautiful

Thanks Vinny for helping me to figure this out.

Have a great Memorial day weekend and I'll see you on the Forum.

Runner

vjsimone 05-18-2019 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by runner (Post 18659850)
But I will look at the valve again, pull it completely apart and rebuild

Great that you are up and running.
I’ve never had one of those opened up, so you know more about it than me.

There are a couple of lads on this forum that have rebuilt them as well. They have some good drawings and pictures. “Subford” has a bunch of stuff. Search some threads.

When you are ready to mess with it, start a new thread with FSV, Fuel Reservoir, Fuel Tank Selector, Valve Assy, in the title.

Set yourself up a signature line sometime you are on, with your truck particulars.
Happy Memorial Day to you as well....