Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2015 - 2020 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum276/)
-   -   "Ford Appearance Pkg" aka Dealer Add Ons (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1582278-ford-appearance-pkg-aka-dealer-add-ons.html)

rrgone 05-06-2019 08:59 AM

"Ford Appearance Pkg" aka Dealer Add Ons

Yesterday I test drove a very nicely equipped XLT. This dealership was very accomodating and let me drive brand new 3.5L eco and nearly new 2.7L to see the difference. I sat down with the salesman for a written out the door quote on the 3.5L truck. The quote has a line for MC-Ford Appearance Package which is an additional $1299. It's broken down as Window Tint, 3M Door Guards, 3M Screen Saver Cover, and Interior Protection Spray. This sounds like stuff I could get for much less at an aftermarket tint shop and can of Scotchguard fabric spray. Is it mandatory to buy these items from a dealer? What do you folks think they are really worth?

bedwards 05-06-2019 09:17 AM

Thats all BS if you ask me. Nothing but expensive fluff. I'd hate to see what this guy's doc fee is.

GlueGuy 05-06-2019 10:01 AM

"MC-Ford".... Is the name of the dealer Mike Carter Ford (or something like that)?

Wiggums 05-06-2019 11:17 AM

That's plain obscene, negotiate him down to $150 and tell him he's lucky to get that amount. All of this shouldn't be more than $80.

rrgone 05-06-2019 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by GlueGuy (Post 18638271)
"MC-Ford".... Is the name of the dealer Mike Carter Ford (or something like that)?

I hadn't thought about that as dealer name. It is, but not Carter Ford. I'd rather not divulge here. Thanks.

rrgone 05-06-2019 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by bedwards (Post 18638171)
I'd hate to see what this guy's doc fee is.

$799 which seems to be the average around here.

GABAR 05-06-2019 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by rrgone (Post 18638136)
Yesterday I test drove a very nicely equipped XLT. This dealership was very accomodating and let me drive brand new 3.5L eco and nearly new 2.7L to see the difference. I sat down with the salesman for a written out the door quote on the 3.5L truck. The quote has a line for MC-Ford Appearance Package which is an additional $1299. It's broken down as Window Tint, 3M Door Guards, 3M Screen Saver Cover, and Interior Protection Spray. This sounds like stuff I could get for much less at an aftermarket tint shop and can of Scotchguard fabric spray. Is it mandatory to buy these items from a dealer? What do you folks think they are really worth?

No, it’s not mandatory to buy these items from the dealer and to be honest , it’s your money but you really should pass on these dealer add on packages.

For that kind of money, you can have your truck paint corrected and have a real ceramic coating applied and depending on the prices in your area, theres a good chance that you can have your windows tinted as well.

KJ Smith 05-06-2019 05:06 PM

Check out Costco and see what they can do,

Mark Kovalsky 05-06-2019 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by rrgone (Post 18638136)

That's all just add on profit for the dealer. You are not required to buy it, but they are not required to sell you the truck without it. They can sell the truck for whatever they can get for it. An honest dealer wouldn't do this. Many of them do.

JKBrad 05-06-2019 05:46 PM

There's a local dealer here who puts all of that BS on the truck when they hit the lot. I hate when they do that as I have no interest in most of that stuff. 3M screensaver? I've never scratched a screen yet. Maybe if you wife has those long finger nails you'd need it. Most dealer tint is bottom of the barrel, low quality stuff with a "lifetime" warranty. Door guards are ugly and don't work.

msgtord 05-06-2019 10:04 PM

I ignore all of that. You are under no obligation to purchase that stuff. Same with maintenance and extended warranties.

tseekins 05-07-2019 05:23 AM

Make an offer on the truck as if the add-ons weren't part of the sales pitch.

Someone mentioned $799 for doc fees in Fla? Here in SE Virginia it's now ranging from $499 - $699 depending on dealer and brand.

Knowing that the doc fee is a profit generator, my stance on this fee is for the dealer to eat away at his holdback monies. Profit isn't bad, gouging is.

Midnightmoon 05-07-2019 05:46 AM

I've never paid a doc fee here in PA on any vehicle either purchased or leased. I'm surprised that dealerships are doing this in other areas. Selling price, state taxes, and out the door.

johndeerefarmer 05-07-2019 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 18639761)
Make an offer on the truck as if the add-ons weren't part of the sales pitch.

Someone mentioned $799 for doc fees in Fla? Here in SE Virginia it's now ranging from $499 - $699 depending on dealer and brand.

Knowing that the doc fee is a profit generator, my stance on this fee is for the dealer to eat away at his holdback monies. Profit isn't bad, gouging is.

Doc fee is limited to $100 with the X plan. That fee should pay for the girl to submit the VIN for title and then go pick up the title when it's done. Even at Ford dealership prices $100 is plenty

Wiggums 05-08-2019 09:36 AM

A lot of states have laws on Doc fees. Here in California, it's $55.