Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V10 (6.8l) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/)
-   -   Transmission locking up while driving??? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1582131-transmission-locking-up-while-driving.html)

AffordableServices 05-04-2019 06:14 PM

Transmission locking up while driving???

I have a 2007 Ford F250 V10 and I'm trying to figure out why my transmission is locking up while I'm driving down the road, I'll be going roughly 40 50 miles an hour and all of a sudden both back tires stop spinning all together the truck turns off I put it into neutral then the tires start spinning again allowing me to coast off the road. I then put the truck in park turn the ignition off then back on start the truck and drive off like nothing ever happened but then it will do the same thing a couple days later. Please help anyone thanks

AffordableServices 05-04-2019 06:16 PM

I also replaced the gear oil in the rear end end made sure my transmission fluid is correct

Im50fast 05-05-2019 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by AffordableServices (Post 18635835)
I have a 2007 Ford F250 V10 and I'm trying to figure out why my transmission is locking up while I'm driving down the road, I'll be going roughly 40 50 miles an hour and all of a sudden both back tires stop spinning all together the truck turns off I put it into neutral then the tires start spinning again allowing me to coast off the road. I then put the truck in park turn the ignition off then back on start the truck and drive off like nothing ever happened but then it will do the same thing a couple days later. Please help anyone thanks

I feel like you’re describing the symptoms wrong. Because your story didn’t mention your truck spinning out of control and crashing into the side of the road- or worse yet; oncoming traffic.
I don’t mean any disrespect, please understand that.

Please describe the exact symptom in greater detail.

krewat 05-05-2019 08:32 AM

Yeah, are the rear wheels actually locking up? Or does it feel like it's in neutral?

AffordableServices 05-05-2019 12:34 PM

Both rear wheels are locking up. There is two black skid marks on the pavement where my truck slid at before the rear end was allowed to spin again and then I put it in neutral and coasted off to the side put it in park turn it off then back on and drove off

Im50fast 05-05-2019 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by AffordableServices (Post 18636945)
Both rear wheels are locking up. There is two black skid marks on the pavement where my truck slid at before the rear end was allowed to spin again and then I put it in neutral and coasted off to the side put it in park turn it off then back on and drove off

So you’re saying that both your rear wheels lock up and make skid marks, at 40-50 miles per hour, and it doesnt slide off the road?
thats impossible man. I’ve purposely done things like that in many vehicles. They never continue going straight and safe.

johnfist 05-05-2019 01:51 PM

So, lets look at this a little more objectively.

Wheels don't have to lock up in order to create a black mark. They only have to be spinning slower than the vehicle is moving forward. If they locked up, it's going to feel like you're hitting a giant squishy wall.

For the transmission to go from those speeds to instantly zero, would almost certainly destroy it along with numerous other components of the drive train. That would be an absurd amount of torque smashing metal into metal all at once.

It sounds more like the transmission is shifting into the wrong gear and it's shutting down the whole system. Does the truck rev up hard right before everything shuts down? If they were locking up, you'd probably also get a bit of wheel hop feel in the back, and control would be challenging to say the least.

Is there any other event that is coinciding with the problem? Speed? Location? Time driving? Gears/hill? Trans temp? Anything?

krewat 05-05-2019 04:30 PM

Wow, calling @Mark Kovalsky - Mark, what would do that? Solenoid sticking while another solenoid was commanded to do something?

Mark Kovalsky 05-05-2019 08:20 PM

If the intermediate clutch doesn't release when the direct clutch is applied during the 3-5 shift the output shaft will stop turning. That could happen from a failing clutch or a stuck solenoid.

johnfist 05-06-2019 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky (Post 18637517)
If the intermediate clutch doesn't release when the direct clutch is applied during the 3-5 shift the output shaft will stop turning. That could happen from a failing clutch or a stuck solenoid.

That's terrifying. How does the sudden halt of everything not cause severe damage?

Mark Kovalsky 05-06-2019 07:38 AM

Usually, it does. I guess he didn't have enough traction that it slid the tires.

AffordableServices 05-06-2019 08:52 AM

When the tires lock up its only for a maybe a second or two, three at most, sometimes it's worse than others. It locks up hard enough to give me whip lash but suddenly releases. Temperatures are all normal and nothing else is out of the norm. Only sometimes in reverse while backing out of my driveway I'll have to take a second look because it feels like I just backed into another vehicle because the tires quit turning causing it to feel that way

AffordableServices 05-06-2019 08:55 AM

Also when it locks up the front of the truck goes left the back goes right like it's about to start sliding sideways out of control but then it releases

seville009 05-06-2019 08:58 AM

Differential gears maybe?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...locked-up.html

Im50fast 05-06-2019 08:35 PM

Posts 12 & 13

There’s the “greater detail” I was talking about ...

:)

i admit I was thinking you were talking about the wheels locking up for more than a few seconds.

I look forward to what you find.

johnfist 05-07-2019 09:07 AM

I think I'd start with Mark's advice, considering he worked at Ford as an engineer for many years. Stop driving the truck before you truly wreck that transmission and get it fixed.

AffordableServices 05-08-2019 01:36 PM

I since replace the oil in the differential didn't find any broken pieces. Also bought a second-hand transmission and put it on the truck is no longer locking up the rear end but now seems to be staying in 2nd gear and will not allow me to shift into 3rd gear or high gear. Wondering if I should try to replace solenoids in first transmission or not

johnfist 05-08-2019 02:20 PM

If that second hand (junkyard?) transmission had any sort of a money back guarantee, return it. Try another junked one if you can't afford to repair or replace the original.

Jonathon.chisum 02-06-2023 12:05 PM

I began having the same issue

Did you find the solution to your problem? I began having the same problem on my drive home last night and your description of the issue is the best. Driving 50+ in a 60. I believe I was driving straight when it first happened. Tach stayed or may have risen. Speed dropped. No change to trans temp 170. No loss of battery, oil, or fuel, and no increase in engine temperature. Seemed to occur 40+ mph. I did hear my tires churp once. No smells of any fluid. The only thing I don't really know is if the truck pulled to the right as this happened on a two lane road with cars coming at me and behind me, therefore I instinctively pulled to my right to avoid hitting someone. But honestly, I don't think it pulled. Wife just passed away so I am trying to avoid taking it to a shop and mis diagnosing it. Today I will regreese the drive shaft and check the differential

CathedralCub 02-07-2023 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jonathon.chisum (Post 20733015)
Did you find the solution to your problem? I began having the same problem on my drive home last night and your description of the issue is the best. Driving 50+ in a 60. I believe I was driving straight when it first happened. Tach stayed or may have risen. Speed dropped. No change to trans temp 170. No loss of battery, oil, or fuel, and no increase in engine temperature. Seemed to occur 40+ mph. I did hear my tires churp once. No smells of any fluid. The only thing I don't really know is if the truck pulled to the right as this happened on a two lane road with cars coming at me and behind me, therefore I instinctively pulled to my right to avoid hitting someone. But honestly, I don't think it pulled. Wife just passed away so I am trying to avoid taking it to a shop and mis diagnosing it. Today I will regreese the drive shaft and check the differential

Both rear tires locked up?

Gvillejeeper 04-03-2023 06:32 AM

Tires locking up p while driving

I'm having same issue. Extremely scary when it happens. I've changed trans solenoid, pcm, and inspected every wire I could see. After I changed the computer it drove fine all day. The next morning on my way to the swap meet I made it 3 miles from my house and it started all over again. I even replaced my cluster because it was randomly shutting off. Any ideas. I love this truck but am at the end of my rope

Mark Kovalsky 04-03-2023 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Gvillejeeper (Post 20801382)
I've changed trans solenoid,

Which trans solenoid? There are seven of them.

Originally Posted by Gvillejeeper (Post 20801382)
inspected every wire I could see.

If you're just looking at the wires you are wasting your time. You MUST check the wires electrically. Can you see through the insulation to see a broken wire? I can't. And what if the wiring issue is somewhere that you can't see by looking at the truck? Get a multimeter and check each wire for continuity from the PCM to the trans, and for short to power and short to ground.

And even before that, check for codes. That may tell you exactly where to look fo the problem. Get Forscan at www.forscan.org. Their page shows how to select an OBDII adapter to plug into the OBDII port. I bought mine from Amazon for less than $30. Once you have there you can read all of the codes. Otherwise, you could take it to a good independent shop of a Ford dealer to read the codes. The places that read codes free CANNOT read Ford transmission codes.