Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   oil comming out of exhaust (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/158213-oil-comming-out-of-exhaust.html)

wezol5484 10-02-2003 10:14 PM

oil comming out of exhaust

today when i was working on my truck i had it idling and i walked around the back to look at a bolt that was rattling to tighten it, and when i walked past the exhaust pipe i felt a splattering on my leg. i stuck my hand down to "catch" the splattering and it was oil. can anyone tell me why oil would be splattering out of my exhaust cause ive never noticed it before. your help would be greatly apprecitated because thats gonna bug the crap outta me till i know what oil is doing in my exhaust

its a 1976 ford F-150 4x4 with a 360

Torque1st 10-02-2003 10:26 PM

Oil? Are you sure it wasn't just some smelly soot and water?

beartracks 10-03-2003 09:23 AM

I imagine it was just black water/fuel. Mine is bad about that when I first start it.

Texan1983 10-03-2003 12:43 PM

mine does that too, makes a mess in the winter time when i let it warm up and makes a mess of my jeans if i walk by the exhust. goes away after awhile though.

beartracks 10-03-2003 01:25 PM

Yeah, I just had a new exhaust system built and had the ends turned down so I don't mess up the garage door or the wife's car.

KJKozak2 10-03-2003 03:10 PM

Yeah, mine does that too. I pulled it out of the garage to start it up and closed the garage door behind it. After running it for about 10 minutes, I had splattered the garage door full of crap.

It does go away after it warms up though. I figured it's just condensation loosening up the carbon residue inside the pipes.

Kevin K.

Texan1983 10-03-2003 03:19 PM

acually water is a by-product of combustion, as it warms the pipes, it will turn it to vapor before reaching the tail.

grapegravy 10-03-2003 03:35 PM

I had this all the time with my 78 F-150. I switched to a higher grade fuel and it stopped the black part, was the normal condensation as Texan said. Another thing to check is your fuel mixture, might be on the rich side and building up carbon, just enough to be evident in the exhaust. Should only be clear (basically) water dripping from your exhaust :-X10

Matts72 10-03-2003 03:35 PM

Ahhh you beat me to the hydrolysis post.

As fuel molecules are split apart, which are held together by hydrogen bonds and atoms, hence hydrocarbons, oxygen enters the mixture and thats what causes fuel to burn. Oxygen bonds with the hydrogen so that the rest of the hydrocarbon can be burned. You also get free carbons out of the combustion and they mix with oxygen to form CO2 and Nitrogen to form NOx, there is also a small amount of sulphur in there too, which is more of a dirty catalyst than anything. Sulphur Dioxide is what is being "burned" in your catalytic convertor.

Its not really possible for oil to get into the combustion chamber and not be burned, so you won't ever see liquid oil coming out of your tailpipe.

eh, I tried to read this post, it didn't make any sense to me so I don't know, somebody that is able to figure it out probably has a head for chemistry and knows this already.

grapegravy 10-03-2003 03:42 PM

well golly gee, Matt,, all them thar technical terms,, feel like I'ma in school agin,, hehe, just kidding, honestly, great explanation. Yeah, I was gonna go through all that but decided to keep it short :-X10

Matts72 10-03-2003 03:50 PM

I guess now that I am paying for school I better start paying attention.

The funny thing is, I hate chemistry with a passion, I am a biology major. Chemistry and Physics are boring because they are so defined, Biology and a few other true sciences are still very wide open fields.

wezol5484 10-07-2003 07:57 PM

sorry its taken me so long ive been at the grandmas doin yard work to get some money. what yall say makes sense and when i went out there and looked closer it makes even more sense. today me and a friend got a sawzaw and cut the glass pak out, its sounds like a beast and the best part is its completely legal just so long as u dont cut the cat off and u cut it behind the cab.

chado 10-07-2003 11:01 PM

Cat's who has those hehe.

I have long tube headers going into my mufflers (which are big huge mufflers that quiet it down a fair bit, still lopes at idle because of cam + headers...rattles interior) but they aim at the ground under the bed. No gross crap coming out of mine just light grey smoke when I start it, never used to even do that...looks normal i guess and goes away after its warmed up.

Chado

wezol5484 10-07-2003 11:12 PM

i bet that sounds nice. i left the back part of my pipe commin out the stock position so nothin wont appear to be out of place. but of course its not hooked to ne thing, but man its loud. its got this nice DEEP throaty sound and u can seriously feel the vibration on the window....in the house. and we have a long drive way and i park at the end, i love it

belldawg 10-08-2003 05:12 AM

Well man im not a mechanic but I have the same problem, It happened before i got my new flowmasters and I still have the same problem. I would tell ya that your rings are fried. You probably have too many miles on your engine and its wearing out or you rod your engine and its wearing out. Just save up a couple thousand and get it rebuilt.

77 F-150
New everything