Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   Need help plz 1986 ford f150 302 efi rough idle (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1581941-need-help-plz-1986-ford-f150-302-efi-rough-idle.html)

Billys33 05-02-2019 09:45 PM

Need help plz 1986 ford f150 302 efi rough idle

'llHey guys.

I just got done swapping out motor on my 86 f150
But i seem to have a problem with a rough idle or it not responding right.

It has a 89 Lincoln town car 302 in it now.

My problem is It will run fine for the first few minutes and when it starts to heat up it starts to crap out on me.

The idle likes to surge when it gets hot and then it start to cam out like it has a cam to the point where it trys or will stall.

I dont know if the "Evap" system has anything to do with it because i never hook the evap system or of there a vaccum line i need to hook because i have a few of them cap off except the map sensor is hook which it runs better without it but it wont hold a idle.

Anyways any help will be appreciated.

Franklin2 05-04-2019 07:21 AM

How did you do the swap? You took everything off the top of the Lincoln engine, wiring sensors, distributor, everything, and then took the same everything off your old engine and put it on the Lincoln engine correct? Nothing missed in this operation? Truck computer is still in the truck?

Billys33 05-06-2019 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Franklin2 (Post 18635104)
How did you do the swap? You took everything off the top of the Lincoln engine, wiring sensors, distributor, everything, and then took the same everything off your old engine and put it on the Lincoln engine correct? Nothing missed in this operation? Truck computer is still in the truck?

Yeah i used all the accessory off the Lincoln engine but after i got that in it started this problem, but i have a reman ecm out of a 89 ford and yesterday i bump the timing on it and it seem like it fix it.

I dont know if i had to reset the timing since i deleted smog or what but it runs a whole lot smoother.

I do though had a problems with the transmission linkage, on the towncar tranny the selecter is reversed. So my drive is park and park is drive is there any way to fix that or do i need another tranny?

FuzzFace2 05-06-2019 12:25 PM

Where the rod hooks to the trany I bet one is up and the outer is down.
Dave - - - -

Franklin2 05-06-2019 04:59 PM

I always ran into the tranny lever problem each time I swapped a trans in my old mustang. It has a floor shifter and I would get trannies from cars that had column shifters. What I had to do several times is take the pan off the old trans, take the valve body loose and move it out of the way, and undo some stuff in there to get the shifter lever out of the trans. I then would have to take the new trans apart the same way, take that shifter lever out and put my old shifter lever in place. Always worked ok. These were all c4 trannies. This is not going to work if the two trannies you have are different models.

FuzzFace2 05-06-2019 06:57 PM

I wonder if the lever is up and need down or the other way around could you use flat stock with 2 holes (maybe 3). Use 1 of the holes to bolt it to the wrong lever and head in the other direction and put the shift rod in the other hole. Now where it passes over the center of the lever in the trany if there is a nut holding it on you many need that 3rd hole so the flat stock will sit flat.
Not seeing what you have it is hard to say if there is an easy fix or not.
Dave ----

NZCOBRA 06-05-2019 09:42 AM

Engine stopping

Hi , my 86 used to do this , I put a air fuel meter on it and what happens is ....... from cold as it warms up it will get richer and richer and at about about 9.9 - 10 to 1 and die . Make sure your vac to the fuel regulator is on the correct port and i think i increased my base idle to give the iac less control, I had too much air coming from a very noisey new pcv valve swapped that for a generic one with a plastic body on half of it . I also have an adjustable fuel regulator which gives me a small amount of tuning, too low a pressure gives hesitation and too higher pressure and my truck used a heap more fuel .Cheers .