Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2015+ F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum276/)
-   -   Ford invests $500 million in electric pickup truck maker Rivian (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1580983-ford-invests-500-million-in-electric-pickup-truck-maker-rivian.html)

CR172 04-24-2019 06:47 PM

Ford invests $500 million in electric pickup truck maker Rivian

Ford invests $500 million in electric pickup truck maker Rivian

T diesel 04-24-2019 07:00 PM

I F'N LOVE it!!! :-jammin

onug 04-24-2019 08:02 PM

Dang, you beat me to it. I couldnít be more excited about this. Rivian has the vision, Ford has the skills for scalability and producibility.

Take my money! Well, as long as itís not $70k...

Rickyrobert 04-24-2019 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by onug (Post 18619541)
Dang, you beat me to it. I couldnít be more excited about this. Rivian has the vision, Ford has the skills for scalability and producibility.

Take my money! Well, as long as itís not $70k...

Same. Take my money, but in moderation.

GlueGuy 04-24-2019 09:11 PM

Yah. I will watch this space. HOWEVER... 400 mile range is with the biggest battery on the planet, with no load. If you're pulling a 7000 trailer (or pick whatever weight you want), I'm betting the range will drop closer to 200 miles.

We're not there yet, but I'm betting in 10 years, there may be more electric cars and trucks than ICE variants. I hope to live long enough to see it.

85e150 04-24-2019 10:34 PM

There are tons of pickup applications where a 400 mile range will work just fine.

Who is making batteries for Rivian? (I'm too lazy to look it up)

Panasonic seems to be worried about Tesla, so maybe there's another match up for them in the near future.

GABAR 04-25-2019 03:49 AM

Very cool indeed.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see GM follow what Ford has done by investing in Rivian or some other EV company.
Hmmmmm, the company that comes to mind ends in the letter A. Can anyone guess what company I’m talking about and no, it’s not FCA....LOL

Robbgt 04-25-2019 06:28 AM

Not a big fan of TFLT but they did a good overview here. If you have 15 min worth the watch. Seems this is less geared as a payload/towing vehicle and more as an "adventure" vehicle. Will be interested to see the numbers when released.

tseekins 04-25-2019 06:36 AM

Audi is said to be going electric across it's line, maybe we need to watch them and see how they do it.

onug 04-25-2019 07:58 AM

The Rivian truck is definitely not a F-150. Not in size nor target market. It will be the latest fashion accessory for the hipster Patagonia crowd. I heard somewhere that the Toyota Prius is the most commonly traded-in vehicle when someone buys a Tesla. I bet Subarus will be the Rivian equivalent.

The press release reiterated Ford is planning a zero-emissions F-150 in 2020, so I think the Rivian skateboard will be the foundation for the next generation of vehicles. Maybe the Ranger or Explorer. Hopefully it can scale up to a F-150 size truck with similar capability. Donít get me wrong about my earlier comments, Iíd love something like the Rivian. It just needs to be 20% larger, 20% more capable and 20% cheaper. My family of four+dog fill my truck today when we leave for the weekend. I cannot scale down, especially with our trailer in tow.

GM was rumored to have been an investor a few months ago, but backed out because Rivian wouldnít give them exclusive access to their tech. Another classic move by the General.

Robbgt 04-25-2019 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by onug (Post 18620191)
I heard somewhere that the Toyota Prius is the most commonly traded-in vehicle when someone buys a Tesla. I bet Subarus will be the Rivian equivalent..

Very interesting, would not have been my first guess - Prius/Tesla seem to be in a very different price category, at least for the model S and X. The model 3 is suppose to be more accessible price wise.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw high dollar Luxury SUVs will be the majority trade-ins on Rivian pickup and SUV models. I can say as a Subaru owner (Wife drives an Outback) we probably won't be cross-shopping Rivian at those price points...

GlueGuy 04-25-2019 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by GABAR (Post 18619989)
Very cool indeed.
I wouldnít be surprised to see GM follow what Ford has done by investing in Rivian or some other EV company.
Hmmmmm, the company that comes to mind ends in the letter A. Can anyone guess what company Iím talking about and no, itís not FCA....LOL

Rivian was in talks with GM before the Ford deal happened. Rumor is that deal soured, and you will probably get conflicting stories from GM and Rivian.

Also. I've seen reports that Rivian test mules are actually F-150 bodies on top of the Rivian skate board. So it has to be a somewhat similar size to (probably) the short wheelbase F-150.

Robbgt 04-25-2019 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by GlueGuy (Post 18620428)
Also. I've seen reports that Rivian test mules are actually F-150 bodies on top of the Rivian skate board. So it has to be a somewhat similar size to (probably) the short wheelbase F-150.

Looks like they put one under a Supercab with a 5.5' box (aka the super shorty), check it out here https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/13/...#slide-7422080

GABAR 04-25-2019 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by GlueGuy (Post 18620428)
Rivian was in talks with GM before the Ford deal happened. Rumor is that deal soured, and you will probably get conflicting stories from GM and Rivian.

I wonder if that prototype F150 with the IRS thatís been rolling around has RivianĎs skateboard battery pack.

onug 04-25-2019 11:57 AM

The rumor mill on the mule was itís testing the battery tech and not tied to anything Ford related. But thatís just the rumors.