Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Sync System, USB & SD Question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1579880-sync-system-usb-and-sd-question.html)

sowaxeman 04-15-2019 02:34 PM

Sync System, USB & SD Question

My new (to me) truck has a touch screen system with back-up camera, similar to what I am used to in my 2016 Lincoln MKC. However I have the 120VAC power plugs on the passenger side of the dash, and the rear console where a USB port normally is (from what I saw in other classified pictures when I was shopping). I can't find a USB port anywhere to plug in my phone for charging. Then I discovered the top of the dash opens to what appears to be another storage area, with multi-media connections....A/V, USB and SD slot, and there is a an SD card in it that has the Ford Synch logo on it. So....

*Is that Ford Synch SD card needed for the system to work, or can I put my own SD card in there to act as a storage device for all my music?
*Is there a USB port hiding somewhere that I can use to charge my phone, without having a cord exposed out of the top of the dash? That seems silly to me over having one in the actual console.

I know I could get a cheap 12volt port to USB adaptor or 120vac plug to USB, but really just want to hide a cord in my console without having adaptors exposed.

ZooDad 04-15-2019 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by sowaxeman (Post 18602291)
My new (to me) truck has a touch screen system with back-up camera, similar to what I am used to in my 2016 Lincoln MKC. However I have the 120VAC power plugs on the passenger side of the dash, and the rear console where a USB port normally is (from what I saw in other classified pictures when I was shopping). I can't find a USB port anywhere to plug in my phone for charging. Then I discovered the top of the dash opens to what appears to be another storage area, with multi-media connections....A/V, USB and SD slot, and there is a an SD card in it that has the Ford Synch logo on it. So....

*Is that Ford Synch SD card needed for the system to work, or can I put my own SD card in there to act as a storage device for all my music?
*Is there a USB port hiding somewhere that I can use to charge my phone, without having a cord exposed out of the top of the dash? That seems silly to me over having one in the actual console.

I know I could get a cheap 12volt port to USB adaptor or 120vac plug to USB, but really just want to hide a cord in my console without having adaptors exposed.

Some background info on you truck would be helpful (Year and trim)
Sounds like you have a Sync 2 system. The SD card on top is for Navigation. Music will not play through it. You can plug a USB stick into one of the slots with music and it will play. There are no other USB ports other than the ones you describe on top of the dash.

Keith

seville009 04-15-2019 03:40 PM

Usually you don’t need a Ford card except maybe the navigation card. Simple test is to pull the card and see what stops working

to locate usb plugs, download your manual- should tell you any locations. They seem to change them year to year

ford390gashog 04-15-2019 03:49 PM

Everything you describe is Sync 2 MFT. You will have to add your own USB ports as many of us have. You can get the 3.0 USB charger and replace the unused 12v socket with it.

sowaxeman 04-15-2019 03:52 PM

Its in my signature....2015 Lariat

Originally Posted by ZooDad (Post 18602389)
Some background info on you truck would be helpful (Year and trim)
Sounds like you have a Sync 2 system. The SD card on top is for Navigation. Music will not play through it. You can plug a USB stick into one of the slots with music and it will play. There are no other USB ports other than the ones you describe on top of the dash.

Keith

Just Strokin 04-15-2019 03:53 PM

I use a 120v AC charger plugged into the center stack 120V AC plug. Otherwise you will need a 12v DC charger or 12v DC to USB adapter. Make sure the 12v DC adapters have the proper amp ratings for your phone. My Samsung Note 8 requires a 2.1a or higher rated charger/USB adapter.

seville009 04-15-2019 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by sowaxeman (Post 18602410)
Its in my signature....2015 Lariat

signatures don’t show up on mobile

sowaxeman 04-15-2019 04:03 PM

Good to know...never realized that! But then again I don't search forums much when I'm driving ;-)

Originally Posted by seville009 (Post 18602419)
signatures don’t show up on mobile

seville009 04-16-2019 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by sowaxeman (Post 18602440)
Good to know...never realized that! But then again I don't search forums much when I'm driving ;-)

mobile device, not “mobile” as in driving. I always use my Iphone to view this site.

sowaxeman 04-17-2019 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by ford390gashog (Post 18602406)
Everything you describe is Sync 2 MFT. You will have to add your own USB ports as many of us have. You can get the 3.0 USB charger and replace the unused 12v socket with it.

I've searched here and youtube to no avail....is it a simple process to remove one of the 12v power outlets on the center stack and put a USB port in it's place? I found a USB port that looks to be a universal fit, that gets hardwired to +/-. I'm thinking it should fit in where the cigar lighter port is now, just curious if I am on the right track and an easy removal.

And disregard! Finally found this on youtube:
Looks pretty simple!

Just Strokin 04-17-2019 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by sowaxeman (Post 18606110)
I've searched here and youtube to no avail....is it a simple process to remove one of the 12v power outlets on the center stack and put a USB port in it's place? I found a USB port that looks to be a universal fit, that gets hardwired to +/-. I'm thinking it should fit in where the cigar lighter port is now, just curious if I am on the right track and an easy removal.

And disregard! Finally found this on youtube: link removed...Looks pretty simple!

This radio setup for the 2011-2012 trucks. The 2013 thru 2016 is a "component" setup. It is pieces and not self contained. you could probably get the lower right cubbie hole plate with the usb port in it but would be cheaper to just get one from Wal Mart that plugs into the lighter if all you are going to do is charge your phone/tablet.

sowaxeman 04-17-2019 12:37 PM

I actually just want to pop out the lower left bezel where the trans brake button is, and the 12v and replace it with a Dual USB port. I also want to pop that entire dash bezel out so I can hide my GPS tracker behind the radio. I'm not trying to change anything about the head-unit or the Synch system. I'll load a USB stick with music and stick it up in the top media hub....combined with Sirius and bluetooth from my ipod I should have more music options than I'll ever need.

Chuck-B 04-20-2019 10:33 AM

Seems a bit excessive, why not just buy one of these - . The cover on the passenger side lighter socket closes over this thing so you don't know it's there.

There's also a lighter socket in the storage compartment of the center console. To facilitate running a USB cable out of the center console Ford put a little dip in the lower portion of the front of the console on the passenger's side. I bought 3 of those USB chargers. Put one in the console, one in the passenger's side lighter socket and one in the drivers side socket. Before I upgraded to Sync 3 I had a USB cable plugged into it at all times. When I put Sync 3 in I ran a USB cable from the top center storage area on top of the dash behind the center stack cover out where the center stack cover meets the lower dash cover.

The SD card contains the maps for your NAV system. The letter / number combination on the card tells you what year the maps are from. I believe A10 is the 2019 version.