Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   Help removing radiator support (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1579847-help-removing-radiator-support.html)

ericthor 04-15-2019 09:52 AM

Help removing radiator support

Ive got all of the fasteners removed and currently stuck trying to remove the 2 larger fasteners that attach to the frame rails. Are those 2 nuts really on there that tight? Ive added a bar to my ratchet and Im afraid im going to snap the ratchet before I get these to budge. Im hoping I am doing something wrong here and one of you can chime in and give me some advice.

njdevil77 04-15-2019 09:56 AM

sawzall, that was to only way I could get mine off... bought new bolts and bushings off of feebay.

fordguy2100 04-15-2019 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by ericthor
Ive got all of the fasteners removed and currently stuck trying to remove the 2 larger fasteners that attach to the frame rails. Are those 2 nuts really on there that tight? Ive added a bar to my ratchet and Im afraid im going to snap the ratchet before I get these to budge. Im hoping I am doing something wrong here and one of you can chime in and give me some advice.

Getting the nuts and bolts off I put a wrench on the bottom but and wedged it against the frame, then took an impact gun and hit the bolt from the top. Came right out. Now the two washers on either side of the bushing... I had to cut. The bottom nut/washer has a flange that goes up into the top washer... don't know how they joined it but I know an angle grinder (sawzall works too) will separate them.

Meridian_Mike 04-15-2019 11:09 AM

Sawzall x2.... almost as good as a fire wrench.... In this case.... MUCH better.

Mike

HIO Silver 04-15-2019 04:49 PM

Impact wrench... the nut-busting >500 ft.lb torque type.

77&79F250 04-15-2019 06:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...6b7e73a443.jpg
X2 from the top side either use a BIG impact or a 4 ft cheater pipe on a 3/4 or 1" drive breaker bar. Then you will either strip the bolt head or snap it in half. NO cutting torch the rubber bushing bust into flames and smoke like crazy. Sawzall between the bottom of the core support and the top of the frame rail.

D3TZ-1000155-B .. Absorber (rubber cushion) - Lower radiator support and lower front & rear cab mounts / Obsolete
CARPENTER NOS OBSOLETE PARTS in Concord NC = 800-476-9653.
PARTS INTERNATIONAL in Farmers Branch TX = 888-727-0418.
GREEN SALES CO. in Cincinnati OH = 800-543-4959.
WESLEY OBSOLETE PARTS in Liberty KY = 606-787-5293.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
D3TZ-1000396-C .. Absorber (rubber cushion) - Upper radiator support and upper front and rear cab mounts / Obsolete
PARTS INTERNATIONAL
CARPENTER NOS OBSOLETE PARTS
GREEN SALES CO.
WESLEY OBSOLETE PARTS

1985 Bronco 04-15-2019 08:09 PM

Put a 7/8 wrench on the nut that is part of the lower sleeve, wedge that against the frame or have someone hold it. Then use a breaker bar on the top to get the bolts loose. I had to use several extensions to get above the core support.

fordguy2100 04-15-2019 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by 1985 Bronco
Put a 7/8 wrench on the nut that is part of the lower sleeve, wedge that against the frame or have someone hold it. Then use a breaker bar on the top to get the bolts loose. I had to use several extensions to get above the core support.

With the radiator out you don't have to go above the support. You've gotta drain it anyway so might as well take the 4bolts out and remove so you don't need 20 extensions to get above the support lol

grinnergetter 04-15-2019 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by HIO Silver (Post 18602520)
Impact wrench... the nut-busting >500 ft.lb torque type.

Not enough for Indiana trucks. :-X04

hail destroyer 04-16-2019 02:52 AM

40 plus years of road salt and plowing snow made removing mine a breeze: there was literally no core support left holding it to the frame. Just lifted right off leaving the rotten bushings, paper thin frame mounts and rusted bolts easy to access with a grinder. Easy.

four-sixty-power 04-18-2019 02:54 AM

If don't have impact or fire wrench or sawzall or shop or friends or resources or whatever else is useful or funny
With the radiator removed put a socket and breaker bar from the top side and jamb it so it won't move or get someone to hold it.
From underneath use another socket and breaker bar with looooong handle, sit on floor and get handle lined up right to push with your foot, pushing with foot/leg is more power than trying to break it with arms.
OR same as above but use a 6-point closed end wrench on nut underneath instead and whack it with a big sledgehammer to get it to turn so you can then use a breaker bar to spin off bottom section.