Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   Turbo works intermittently. Shut off key and boost comes back (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1579596-turbo-works-intermittently-shut-off-key-and-boost-comes-back.html)

charles murphy 04-13-2019 04:43 AM

Turbo works intermittently. Shut off key and boost comes back

It seems I’m not getting boost from the Turbo. I shut the key off while coasting and restart then boost comes back. It runs great about 90 % of the time time. I drive my truck all day everyday for work and this happens at least once a day.
just changed air filter and my mechanic recommended I just get it deleted of course which I plan on doing when can spare the cash. Check engine light on. Any ideas? Please help. Much appreciated.

Fefanatic 04-13-2019 12:30 PM

Check engine light is first indication. Get us the codes and we might be able to help you further. Anything else would just be wild guesses.

speakerfritz 04-14-2019 10:58 AM

Advice to 6.4 owners thinking about a 6.7

Well it’s not true that throwing the 6.4 over the fence and. Buying a 6.7 would end the “will I be stuck on the side of the road” night mares.

If you buy a 6.7 you still are rolling the dice on the cp4 high pressure fuel pump...difference is there is a by pass kit that will let you send metal shavings back to the fuel tank where they will be caught by the fuel filters on the way back.

you still want cooler filter, oil by pass filter, fuel water / air separator filters, filter for tranny, filter for power steering unit.

2017 and later have fuel pumps in the tank instead of inline outside of the tank like the 6.4. So you have to disable the intank fuel pump to install an air dog you can’t run it in line like the 6.4.

There’s a ton more electronics on a 6.7 and it’s a full time job chasing all the gremlins

the oil plan is a trap on the 6.7. Ford says use the oil monitor that measures oil quality to decide when to change the oil...but in reality the manual says oil needs to be changed based on miles and/or time and/or hours. So you have to use Ford math to combine hours miles and elapse calendar time to decide what is the shortest oil change interval else your warranty is toast.

Bottom like if you buy a 6.7 and the prior owner used opt-lube always, and did there oil changes using ford math to come up with the shortest oil / fluid and fuel change schedule, you will have a better chance of not being a FORD victim ( Found On Road Dead). If you get a 2017 or later you will have more electrical gremlins than 2016 or earlier. 2015 or later is the gen2 6.7.

and yep, as my luck would have it, as soon as I buy a gen2 6.7, Ford comes out with the gen3. Iron pistons, bigger piston rods, more metal in structures, better injectors, yadda, yadda, yadda.

DieselDenny 04-14-2019 03:51 PM

Look up and heed Fens advice.

Everything is sensor driven. You mention keying off and then it all plays well for awhile. Then the breakup happens ritually.

I'm eyeballing a sensor. Maybe Map or Baro. Unknown till codes are pulled.

If it was a time to pull a trigger on a 100 percent compliant code reader,,,,,,,,,,,,now is the time.

Denny (Btw, note if/when this fails and what your pulling and if the truck is at standard operating temps in all regards) Just helps us help.