Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V10 (6.8l) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/)
-   -   Transmission question for the guys that know (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1577360-transmission-question-for-the-guys-that-know.html)

wickerbill 03-25-2019 10:25 PM

Transmission question for the guys that know

I have a 1999 6.8L v10 with an automatic and it has 230K miles on it and I know you guys are gonna tell me right so here it goes.I have been wanting to make my trany fluid cooler and i had a guy give me a brand new trans cooler still in the box. so i wanna know if i change the fluid and filter and add the cooler in line with the other cooler after i flush it, should i do away with the bypass tube with that delete kit they have or what should i do to keep the bypass tube from leaking back into the tranny and not working properly. I know in the diesel forum they have these delete kits,but do they sell them for my tranny and if so wold it work ok. any ideas would be great thank you.

wickerbill 03-25-2019 11:11 PM

also I pull a heavy loaded trailer quite a bit so i need to know my transmission is gonna stay cool + i have a tuner i am gonna use for the tow part to help with the shifting difference. what type of trans guage do you recommend to keep an eye on it. I have been using a thermal hand held meter to tell me the temp when i come home i pop under the truck and check the pan and hoses I don't know what the temp should be, but i think if i can get it down to 160 or so i think it would do better it runs about 190 on loaded truck with trailer.

Bently_Coop 03-26-2019 11:35 AM

Stacking coolers should not be done. Instead it is recommended to replace the Radiator with one that has the OTW cooler in it. I too have a 1999 which was not equipped from the factory with a OTW cooler. You will need a couple of short metal lines to connect into the radiator and towards the transmission lines and then some type of fitting to adapt the cooler in as well. ON page 4 of the thread linked below I documented all of the parts needed for my truck from Ford directly. :-jammin

OTW= Oil To Water

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...our-input.html

wickerbill 03-26-2019 09:34 PM

Thank you

I was checking out that link and I like it. thanks for the info . I have a ? On the coolers. My truck has a cooler already on it that don't go to radiator but front of truck with two lines already.i was just going to put the new cooler that is a tube cooler with fins surrounding it inline with the other cooler on the hot side so it starts cooling then gets to original cooler for better cooling but I was wondering if that's a good idea and is getting rid of the bypass tube using a delete kit is also a good idea?? Because of the extra cooler might give me a little more pressure on the lines??

Mark Kovalsky 03-26-2019 10:11 PM

The extra cooler will give you more restriction and very little cooling. The tube and fin coolers are very inefficient. I recommend you do not install it.

If you want the best cooling replace the radiator with one that has a cooler. Replace the cooler you have now with a cooler from a 2003-2007 6.0L F-Series truck. Run the line from the front of the trans to the radiator cooler, from that cooler to the 6.0L cooler, then from that cooler to the rear of the trans.

I recommend you do not delete the bypass line. Get a rebuild kit for the bypass. It costs about $25 and is easy to install. That will prevent it from leaking.

wickerbill 03-26-2019 10:19 PM

Ok will look into it

Thanks for info but why not remove bypass line don't see need for it if you tranny has enough trash in it to block cooler wouldn't it go bad no matter whether it had bypass or not. Just asking cause I'm trying to learn not trying to be a smarty. Also can I use a used cooler from junk yard if I flush it out first??? Thanks for helping me learn

Bently_Coop 03-26-2019 11:15 PM

Good luck flushing a stacked plate cooler from the wrecking yard, not saying it can't be done, however there really is no way to verify it is clear.

wickerbill 03-26-2019 11:24 PM

Only way I'm gonna own it

I can't afford a new cooler just no money for that kind of thing I'm a poor boy on a budget. So if I can't get it out of junk yard then I can't get one but I can flush one pretty good. Like back flush with a cleaner using a pump and keep it on and let it keep flushing for how ever long I want. Think that would work???

Bently_Coop 03-27-2019 11:48 AM

Get the radiator with OTW cooler first then worry about a 6.0 Cooler later. Even though you tow heavy the V10 cooler is larger than a 7.3 cooler. Monitor your temps and if necessary upgrade to a new 6.0 cooler at a later date.

The radiator cooler will make a large difference especially in temperature drop.

wickerbill 03-27-2019 03:04 PM

Thanks

What kind of trans temperature guage should I get for this trans. Don't need to spend a lot on a guage but if there is one that's good for the least amount of money then what kind would it be also there are a lot of different rebuild kits for the check ball and spring,for the bypass tube does anyone prefer a certain type over another. Sorry for all the questions but I don't know much about ford trannies

Mark Kovalsky 03-27-2019 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by wickerbill (Post 18563498)
Thanks for info but why not remove bypass line don't see need for it if you tranny has enough trash in it to block cooler wouldn't it go bad no matter whether it had bypass or not.

What if something bounced off the road and hit a cooler line, restricting it? Would you like your first indication that something is wrong to be a failed transmission or one that's getting hot quicker than it should?

Originally Posted by wickerbill (Post 18563498)
Also can I use a used cooler from junk yard if I flush it out first???

You can, but I predict you'll need a new transmission not that long after installing it. There is NO WAY to effectively flush a cooler.

wickerbill 03-28-2019 12:00 AM

well i guess ill just stick with the cooler i have then and install a temp gauge but i was hoping to do something with the bypass tube line so it don't let fluid bypass the cooler. I am going to put in a new check valve i suppose and let it go but if it gets hot again then what????

Bently_Coop 03-28-2019 01:14 AM

Scan gauge II can show temp gauge and plenty more through the OBD2 port.

Check out the blend mounts, you can mount the Scan gauge to the rear view mirror.

Mark Kovalsky 03-28-2019 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by wickerbill (Post 18565834)
well i guess ill just stick with the cooler i have then and install a temp gauge but i was hoping to do something with the bypass tube line so it don't let fluid bypass the cooler. I am going to put in a new check valve i suppose and let it go but if it gets hot again then what????

If you really think removing the bypass will fix your problem, get rid of it. It doesn't hurt MY transmission.

If it gets hot again with a new cooler then you most likely have a plugged radiator cooler or a damaged cooler line. If either of those are true and you don't have a bypass you'll probably destroy the transmission. The fluid that returns from the coolers is used to lube the rear half of the transmission. If the circuit is restricted and not getting enough flow you won't have enough lube to keep the trans going.

wickerbill 03-28-2019 08:27 PM

Never heard of scan guage

What is a scan guage and do you have one on you SD are they dependable. I had a electronic guage on my last Chevy that bout wrecked my tranny because it didn't read true. Just asking sounds pretty good if works good and if there not that expensive. Also sonnax makes a bypass tube rebuild kit. Around 20 bucks anyone ever use one of these kits and have they have good luck with them