Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Ford Warranty Repair Support (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1575839-ford-warranty-repair-support.html)

mtshowdown 03-13-2019 10:03 PM

Ford Warranty Repair Support

2016 F350 DRW Platnium 6.7L Has misfire at startup.
Is it normal for Ford dealerships to have warranty vehicles sit at their dealership for weeks before they work on it (with appointment)? Trying to determine if this is a Ford issue or dealership. Service writer stated Ford does not pay mechanics well for warranty work so the mechanics have to make their money from non-warranty repair.
If this is true Ford has forgotten how their profit is made (new vehicle sales).

Took pickup to local dealership 30 Nov 18, has been there and back multiple times sense. Feb they had it for 2 weeks to change the injectors, went back in on 5 March, finally 13 Mar 19 they tore down the engine to find #4 cylinder pitted and antifreeze in #5.
Their fix is to order a short block and head. (Would think at this point long block would be a better answer).
Problem is I need to hook up the trailer and make a 2500 mile trip to move my brother in 1 week, doubt they will have the parts to make the repair in time.
Now I am faced with replacing the pickup. Ford put me in this situation by not aggressively working the repair.
Do not like the Ford vehicles currently in stock at this dealer, these new massaging seats are very uncomfortable to me. Considering the Dodge Limited, don't like the pickup as well, but at least the seats are comfortable and have no knowledge of there service after sale.
As for dealership sales team, Dodge is providing much better pricing. Both MSRP's are equal, Ford is offering low book for my vehicle and taking $5K off MSRP, Dodge Offered Clean trade in and took $12K off MSRP after rebates Ford wants $30K difference, Dodge wants $14K. Vehicle is clean, no dents/scratches/tears, avg mileage, good tires so clean trade in would be the correct answer.
What has been your experience with warranty repairs and their timeliness?
Before this event I was planning on waiting for the 2020's to come out in hopes Ford would put a better seat in their Platinum's, now I am seriously considering switching brands.
Thank you.

Fefanatic 03-13-2019 10:33 PM

I've had 3 warranty issues with my Superduty. They normally gave me a new F150 to run around in while repairs were made. Two times it was over a week. This last time they were prepared to put me in a F350 for my KC to New Orleans trip to trailer back the F250 I purchased there.

Have you talked to your service manager about getting a truck you will need for your trip? In my case they felt my need for urgency and got it in and got right on it.

Pocket 03-13-2019 10:56 PM

That is 100% a dealership problem.

marksman76 03-14-2019 01:00 AM

Rent a truck and wait for your Ford to get repaired would be my advice.
It is certainly going to take so many days for short block to come in, and then the work to be completed. .
Like Fefanatic mentioned, see if they will comp you a demo or rental truck.

Chuck's First Ford 03-14-2019 04:19 AM

as said .. Rent a truck...

your issue is completely DEALER.... .. but getting a replacement engine ( long or short ).. takes time...
Factory requires.. many photos... all ID tags on truck.. forms completed.. then Ford to approve.. place ship order... etc.

dealership Fraud does happen.. getting New Engines/Transmissions......
under the Warranty program. and the vehicle was a purchased total..

and for a Dealer to say factory pay's poorly.... is a lie.. they pay standard job pay.(book).. and has since the 1960's... adjusted for inflation.
if mechanic is not being paid well.. its because that mechanic is TO SLOW at his job.

most likely.. its the shop foreman... number of repairs per day... so all the easy stuff is done first... slower/harder jobs are moved to the back of the list... again an again.
YES, ( book ) pays less then Shop Hours... but that is part of being a New Vehicle dealership..with ALL the benefits of being one.
and Recalls are always GRAVY work.

my advice.. talk to the Operations manager of the Dealership.. ( be Nice ) or the Owner of dealership..if on site..

retired dealership mechanic.. NOT FORD,, Sorry about the LONG read.

Chuck-B 03-14-2019 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Pocket (Post 18538914)
That is 100% a dealership problem.

I 3rd this - pisses me off when I read stuff like this. I hope someone from Ford is trolling here and reads this. I count my lucky stars every time I have an issue where I have to take my truck into the dealership for service that I have a choice of 2 excellent dealerships within a reasonable distance from where I live. Nothing is more frustrating than laying out a SL of money only to have who you bought what you bought from turn their back on you. There is no reason for poor customer service, no reason at all.

Fefanatic 03-14-2019 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford (Post 18539039)
as said .. Rent a truck...

your issue is completely DEALER.... .. but getting a replacement engine ( long or short ).. takes time...
Factory requires.. many photos... all ID tags on truck.. forms completed.. then Ford to approve.. place ship order... etc.

dealership Fraud does happen.. getting New Engines/Transmissions......
under the Warranty program. and the vehicle was a purchased total..

and for a Dealer to say factory pay's poorly.... is a lie.. they pay standard job pay.(book).. and has since the 1960's... adjusted for inflation.
if mechanic is not being paid well.. its because that mechanic is TO SLOW at his job.

most likely.. its the shop foreman... number of repairs per day... so all the easy stuff is done first... slower/harder jobs are moved to the back of the list... again an again.
YES, ( book ) pays less then Shop Hours... but that is part of being a New Vehicle dealership..with ALL the benefits of being one.
and Recalls are always GRAVY work.

my advice.. talk to the Operations manager of the Dealership.. ( be Nice ) or the Owner of dealership..if on site..

retired dealership mechanic.. NOT FORD,, Sorry about the LONG read.

When you look at repair times warranty is lower. The book may say it takes 2.0 to change a fuel pump but warranty would be 1.3 or so. Hence, mechanics get paid less for warranty work. I also worked at a dealership part time. I was the guy that would do the warranty work so the line mechs could earn a better living. Since it was extra spending money to me I was also happy. So yes, mechanics do not like warranty work as they do not get paid as much as customer work.

speakerfritz 03-14-2019 10:24 AM

In nyc it doesn’t matter if you have a warranty or not, it will sit there for weeks.

the only thing that moves quickly are oil change apts. big money maker.

mtshowdown 03-15-2019 09:27 AM

Thank you for your reply's. I will push dealership to find me a road worthy 3/4 or 1 ton to pull my trailer for this trip, they kept pushing this pickup to the back of the line and by doing so has put me in this situation, in my opinion they need to resolve the issue. Not a lot of car rentals in this area that rent pickups, the ones that do are private and rent older 1/2 tons which is not enough pickup for the trailer/load I will be towing. Anticipate their concern is I will be putting on app 3K miles and they probably don't want that many miles put on a trade in and concern if it breaks down how do they get it back.
I symphonize but they did this to themselves, I warned them early Feb about this trip. If they had worked it diligently Nov to early Mar, we wouldn't be in this situation.

Batman7777 03-15-2019 11:46 AM

I had dealer warranty work done on several occasions with my previous 06' 6.0L F350. The dealer I purchased the truck from was always right on it and got the truck back to me quickly.
Granted, it wasn't to replace the block, but EGR and cooler (3 times), turbo, instrument panel, fuel tank replacement, rear sliding window, etc. The truck started having high pressure pump problems and needed seals replaced (Have to pull the motor). I was just tired of constant repairs on it so traded it for a 2016.

Replacement 2016 F450 6.7L... has never been in the shop.. Not once (3 years old)

mtshowdown 03-16-2019 03:49 PM

My 2012 F350 was an excellent pickup. in the 4 years I had it, went in for tires and center counsel latch, otherwise I just drove it and completely enjoyed the pickup.
I believe manufactures change between competent an incompetent leadership based on cash flow, they hire competent leaders, produce quality products and fully understand if you make the customer mad they take there money elsewhere. Then they get to a point where they are doing well, greed takes over, they hire incompetent who ride on the wave provided by there predecessor, quality goes down, customer service is sacrificed, profits go away or greatly reduced.
Eventually when things get bad enough they have to evaluate leadership and processes, new people hired and the ball starts swinging the other way again.
Concerned Ford is heading down. One of the reasons I made this post. If they are on the downward path I need to start looking for the manufacture that is climbing, they will be the one providing quality and that understand the importance of customer service.
Thank you again.

burnthelight88 03-16-2019 11:32 PM

Warranty work does not pay the same as non-warranty work coming in the door. I used to manage a fleet of newer Fords. When I had warranty repairs needed, if they weren't urgent, the service manager would request that I save them for certain "slow times" because "warranty work is better than no work". But he explained that it absolutely does not pay the same. The mechanics may get paid the same, but Ford reimburses the dealers at a lower value as someone similarly explained above.

And really, they have you where they want you. You need them, not the other way around. Even if you get really really mad at them about this, you're going to look for a new car. Perhaps they convince you to stick with them again which they make money on. If you leave to go elsewhere, they offer to buy your "problem truck" from you, lowball it, and make a profit on it. I don't think they really care if you stay or not.

Chuck-B 03-17-2019 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by burnthelight88 (Post 18544280)
Warranty work does not pay the same as non-warranty work coming in the door. I used to manage a fleet of newer Fords. When I had warranty repairs needed, if they weren't urgent, the service manager would request that I save them for certain "slow times" because "warranty work is better than no work". But he explained that it absolutely does not pay the same. The mechanics may get paid the same, but Ford reimburses the dealers at a lower value as someone similarly explained above.

I’m sure glad I live where I live, while I can’t comment on what Ford pays mechanics for warranty work I certainly have an opinion as well as experience letting or not letting warranty work sit. 1st it’s BS - you pay 80k for a vehicle or over 4K for an extended warranty the level of service you receive should be the same if not better than your average Tom Dick or Harry coming in off the street. Hell before I bought my extended warranty I had a nagging issue with the DEF system which one of the dealerships covered under the ‘emission systems’ warranty. Immediately / when the truck threw the code a 2nd time I was offered a loaner and told ‘we’re going to keep the truck until it’s fixed’. Everyday the service manager called with a status. One being ‘we replaced the heater, test drove the truck, let it sit, drove it again and it threw the code, we ordered ...”. This is the type of service we should expect and receive.

speakerfritz 03-17-2019 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck-B (Post 18544829)

I’m sure glad I live where I live, while I can’t comment on what Ford pays mechanics for warranty work I certainly have an opinion as well as experience letting or not letting warranty work sit. 1st it’s BS - you pay 80k for a vehicle or over 4K for an extended warranty the level of service you receive should be the same if not better than your average Tom Dick or Harry coming in off the street. Hell before I bought my extended warranty I had a nagging issue with the DEF system which one of the dealerships covered under the ‘emission systems’ warranty. Immediately / when the truck threw the code a 2nd time I was offered a loaner and told ‘we’re going to keep the truck until it’s fixed’. Everyday the service manager called with a status. One being ‘we replaced the heater, test drove the truck, let it sit, drove it again and it threw the code, we ordered ...”. This is the type of service we should expect and receive.

sounds good to me....which dealership was that....might be worth taking the drive.

in nyc, the margins on oil change appts will always push repair work to the bottom of the list. Sure they will give you an apt within the next 10 days but that is just for “we found codes, now need a diesel mechanic, your on the list”