Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Rough Idle Burning Fuel Rich (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1575804-rough-idle-burning-fuel-rich.html)

David Fehir 03-13-2019 06:29 PM

Rough Idle Burning Fuel Rich

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...696e0bd095.jpg
I need some help. I was out riding around and all of a sudden I started getting a real rough choppy idle and the truck is burning fuel real rich with a chader right around 1500 rpms and smoking the whole time. My fuel mileage went from 17.5 to about 13. I'm also getting a turbo bark now I'm assuming it is somehow connected. I thought fuel injector. However when I got home I scanned for codes and I got a ton and I don't know what's going on. I just put a new fuel pump in a few days ago and my fuel pressure is right around 70 psi with the blue spring update. Disregard the egr codes I'm deleted the trucks an 03 with head studs please help. Sorry I forgot to post my codes.

SmackDaddy 03-14-2019 07:42 AM

You have three more injector codes and a fuel pump code. I would start at injectors and make sure your blue spring os seated correctly or you could cause high fuel pressure and blow o-rings off injectors. Since you just worked on the fuel pump I’d check my work again.

David Fehir 03-14-2019 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy (Post 18539224)
You have three more injector codes and a fuel pump code. I would start at injectors and make sure your blue spring os seated correctly or you could cause high fuel pressure and blow o-rings off injectors. Since you just worked on the fuel pump I’d check my work again.

I've had the blue spring update for a couple years now would it come unseated on it's own?

SmackDaddy 03-14-2019 09:41 AM

It shouldn’t, your post mase it seem like you did the fuel pump and blue spring together.

David Fehir 03-14-2019 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy (Post 18539540)
It shouldn’t, your post mase it seem like you did the fuel pump and blue spring together.

sorry about that. but no I just changed the fuel pump alone the blue spring was done about 2 years ago. but the cylinder 2 code and cylinder 4 code was already there from when I had the fuel pump issue. I know I should have mentioned that and I'm sorry. but it was late when I started the thread and i didn't think of that. the codes that are current are the fuel pump code, cylinder 5 code, and the cam sensor code, could the cam sensor be causing these issues I've looked up signs and symptoms of a bad cam sensor and it's somewhat similar to what I've got going on except the no start and stalling I don't have those issues

David Fehir 03-14-2019 07:35 PM

I Also wanted to mention in the recent past probably within the last 6 months I noticed at random not necessarily a hot start or cold start the truck would do a crank no start. I'd turn the ignition off and try again and it would fire right up like normal. not shore if this would be related to a cam sensor or not or what would even cause this.

varminthunter243 03-14-2019 08:35 PM

In the 7.3 world I know a cam sensor can cause all kinds of weird stuff. Including random no starts and weird idle. But never had to change one on a 6.0 before.

David Fehir 03-14-2019 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by varminthunter243 (Post 18540619)
In the 7.3 world I know a cam sensor can cause all kinds of weird stuff. Including random no starts and weird idle. But never had to change one on a 6.0 before.

I'm wondering if it would act the same way in a 6.0?

varminthunter243 03-14-2019 08:45 PM

I would bet so. Cheap enough part. I kept a cheap oreillys sensor in my glove box to get me home if it quit. And then I would order one from international and put it in. I'd imagine symptoms would be the same. But I'm sure some of the more experienced 6 liter guys will chime in and tell us for sure. I just figure it's an easy part to change and readily available locally usually.

David Fehir 03-14-2019 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by varminthunter243 (Post 18540646)
I would bet so. Cheap enough part. I kept a cheap oreillys sensor in my glove box to get me home if it quit. And then I would order one from international and put it in. I'd imagine symptoms would be the same. But I'm sure some of the more experienced 6 liter guys will chime in and tell us for sure. I just figure it's an easy part to change and readily available locally usually.

I googled the signs and symptoms of a bad cam sensor and almost everything listed as a symptom I have happening except stalling my truck is not doing that they don't mention anything about smoking but I would think that would go along with poor MPG's and my MPG's went down about 4 MPG's

David Fehir 03-14-2019 09:53 PM

Something come to mind I remember about a year or so ago I had a code for cam shaft sensor however I had no symptoms other than the code. I cleared the codes and it never came back until now

SmackDaddy 03-14-2019 10:14 PM

No CKP Sensor code?

SmackDaddy 03-14-2019 10:15 PM

Clear DTCs, drive it then scan again for DTCs. It might pop up.

David Fehir 03-14-2019 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy (Post 18540858)
No CKP Sensor code?

if you mean crank shaft sensor code then no just cam shaft

SmackDaddy 03-14-2019 10:19 PM

They can pop up out of nowhere. I think I remember someone telling me there are soft codes abd hard codes. Soft codes will come and go but hard codes will stay until you clear DTCs.