Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Looking to buy my 1st ford (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1575764-looking-to-buy-my-1st-ford.html)

garrinchilders 03-13-2019 12:51 PM

Looking to buy my 1st ford

I Work for a GM dealer, been a GM guy all my life. We took in a Ford on trade that I like a lot - but I am afraid to pull the trigger. its an (adult owned/driven) 2014 F350 Platinum Crew 86,5xx Miles. It has a 6" rough country lift and 37" Mickey Thompsons. (lift and tires installed at 14K miles). It has been fully deleted and has a bully dog programmer without any outside tuning (just the 4 settings from bully dog) (it was deleted at 60k miles). It's of course loaded and in seemingly good condition, but I know NOTHING about these trucks. I have heard if they have oversized tires then its soon to need a torque converter or a whole transmission if not tended to quickly, I have heard they blow intercooler piping, I have heard numerous stories especially working at a GM dealer. I just want to know what should I be on the lookout for when asking the previous owner questions? what are the tell-tales that I should look out for? Where am I gonna have to spend money? With the truck being deleted, I am not able to purchase an extended warranty, so any failures are on me.

***Previous owner had issues with his previous Fords DEF system just outside of warranty, is the reason he had it deleted, as to not have to go through that again.

2014 Platinum F350 Crew Cab 6.7 4x4
6" RCX lift, 37" Mickey Thompsons
Full Delete and Bully Dog Programmer.

wrvond 03-13-2019 01:26 PM

Personally, I would not purchase any truck that had:
1. been lifted
2. oversized tires/wheels
3. been deleted
4. had a programmer

Even adults can be pretty childish when it comes to driving a big wheeled lifted truck around. ;)

The transmission is generally regarded as being pretty bullet proof.
Intercooler pipes can be a problem. Many people carry a spare or replace with metal/silicon aftermarket.
I'd look at the differential. What is the final gear ratio? If it's too tall, turning those big tires might have resulted in some broken teeth.

Good luck!

garrinchilders 03-13-2019 01:41 PM

The list of modifications I would make to one if I were to buy a stock one would be a lift kit, with bigger wheels/tires, full DEF delete and a programmer. Working in the service department at a GM dealer and seeing the primary reason that we see any 2009+ diesel in the shop is the damn DPF or DEF system. I understand the reasoning behind it, but the cost to repair those components are the reason that the pre-def trucks have nearly doubled in value in the last decade. My last truck was a '05 crew cab duramax with 15" lift and 37" mud tires on 22x14 wheels & a quadzilla tuner with intake and straight pipe. Being a GM truck and having a GM diesel tech in my pocket at work wasn't too risky for me. Buying a Ford is uncharted territory for me.

lynnmor 03-13-2019 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by wrvond (Post 18537837)
1. been lifted
3. been deleted
4. had a programmer

Even adults can be pretty childish when it comes to driving a big wheeled lifted truck around. ;)

Saved me some typing, I too want nothing to do with a childs toy.

Army RET 03-13-2019 08:57 PM

1. been lifted
3. been deleted
4. had a programmer

While this has everything you say you'd do to a truck ... these mods would eliminate it from MY shopping lists.
Did you ask the prior owner WHY he got rid of it?

cangim 03-13-2019 09:10 PM

For me the actual doing that stuff is the fun part. If the deal is in your favor and you already know the risk, jump on it. I do agree truly knowing what was done and how it was used are big factors. Look forward to any new emission requirements in your area that may force the purchase/replacement of an OEM dpf system. That could be expensive if need be done.

Painted Horse 03-13-2019 09:11 PM

I only level my trucks, So I can't speak for the lift.
I run 35" and have had no problems 37" are heavier and take more energy to turn.
Emissions are manditory in my state. SO I've never done a delete.

I've got about 300,000 miles on several 6.7L engines. and they have been great But I'm not tweeking/tuning them.

garrinchilders 03-14-2019 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by cangim (Post 18538664)
For me the actual doing that stuff is the fun part. If the deal is in your favor and you already know the risk, jump on it. I do agree truly knowing what was done and how it was used are big factors. Look forward to any new emission requirements in your area that may force the purchase/replacement of an OEM dpf system. That could be expensive if need be done.

EVERY removed component is in the bed of the truck with all fasteners and hardware. The DEF components, EGR components, factory suspension, boxes and owners manuals for everything installed on the truck. previous owner traded it in a brand new 2019 Sierra AT4. Ordered one from us when they were announced. Left his number to pass on to the next owner if they had in questions about the truck.

bobv60 03-14-2019 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by garrinchilders (Post 18539445)
EVERY removed component is in the bed of the truck with all fasteners and hardware. The DEF components, EGR components, factory suspension, boxes and owners manuals for everything installed on the truck. previous owner traded it in a brand new 2019 Sierra AT4. Ordered one from us when they were announced. Left his number to pass on to the next owner if they had in questions about the truck.

the fact that he saved everything, and had manuals makes it sounds like he did take care of his rigs.
lift and tires for lots of people are for looks only, doesnt mean they where mudded.
There are also lots of people who delete for engine longevity, and like you posted, eliminate problems. I deleted my 2011 F450, never had the programmer out of the lowest tow tune, and never hot rodded it, not even close.
I think the red flags have been answered, the fact that he gave his number for you to give to the new owners tells me he is not trying to dump his problems on someone else.
Will you dealer let you drive it for a couple of days?
Can you get it for trade in value?
one thing I would check is for any water in the lower fuel filter.

wrvond 03-14-2019 10:09 AM

I have to agree that it appears your risks are minimal in this case. Checking for water in the fuel is a good idea, and I still think it's worth opening the pumpkin and checking the gear teeth. A visual inspection of the front suspension is also in order since those components have been under a higher than normal strain.
Have fun!

Overkill2 03-14-2019 10:28 AM

Another thing to consider is what maintenance was done to not only oil changes but the other fluids as well like transmission, transfer case and diffs. With those bigger tires, it puts more stress on those components as they are bigger than stock. Just my thoughts...

Even though the 6.7 has the torque to turn the bigger tires without a regear, that definitely puts more strain on the trans and other components. Good luck.

Chuck-B 03-14-2019 10:36 AM

Sounds like a solid truck to me. If the seller is a customer my bet is that if you decide to buy it he's going to regret selling it every time he comes back to your dealership and sees it. I'm not a "lift" guy and do tend to lean rightly or wrongly towards a lifted truck being abused but sounds like in this case it may be an exception to the rule. The other thing to consider is what are you planning to do with the truck? Is it going to be a toy / daily driver or are you going to put it to "work" - plowing, towing ...? Using a lifted truck for "work" can be challenging. Deleted is good, thinking the state you live in does not have emissions testing for diesels yet? The only thing I would do immediately would be to replace the cold side intercooler pipe. Then welcome to the world of the 6.7 PS Super Duty's. There are a ton of mods out there. If I had to do it all over again, 2nd mod would be the 50 gallon titan tank followed by the Sync 2 to Sync 3 upgrade.

garrinchilders 03-14-2019 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by bobv60 (Post 18539494)
the fact that he saved everything, and had manuals makes it sounds like he did take care of his rigs.
lift and tires for lots of people are for looks only, doesnt mean they where mudded.
There are also lots of people who delete for engine longevity, and like you posted, eliminate problems. I deleted my 2011 F450, never had the programmer out of the lowest tow tune, and never hot rodded it, not even close.
I think the red flags have been answered, the fact that he gave his number for you to give to the new owners tells me he is not trying to dump his problems on someone else.

Will you dealer let you drive it for a couple of days? Probably, I have driven it a couple days to lunch. Balanced the tires and drove it again, they were WAY out. 37" mud tires, go figure.
Can you get it for trade in value? They Priced it to me for what I feel is a more than fair price, what would something like this generally be worth?
one thing I would check is for any water in the lower fuel filter Walk me through this, I peeked under the truck and seen the yellow knob on the filter housing and assumed that was a separator that I could catch a little fuel sample from but I didn't mess with it. Friend of mine told me that these are rock solid trucks unless you get some bad fuel (water or def in the tank) then its expensive fast. Is there ANY acceptable amount or expected amount of water to be release from the separator? .

Will you dealer let you drive it for a couple of days? Probably, I have driven it a couple days to lunch. Balanced the tires and drove it again, they were WAY out. 37" mud tires, go figure.
Can you get it for trade in value? They Priced it to me for what I feel is a more than fair price, what would something like this generally be worth?
one thing I would check is for any water in the lower fuel filter Walk me through this, I peeked under the truck and seen the yellow knob on the filter housing and assumed that was a separator that I could catch a little fuel sample from but I didn't mess with it. Friend of mine told me that these are rock solid trucks unless you get some bad fuel (water or def in the tank) then its expensive fast. Is there ANY acceptable amount or expected amount of water to be release from the separator?

speakerfritz 03-14-2019 03:40 PM

You do know that in 2015 ford introduced the gen 2 6.7 which has a lot of fixes derived from problems with the gen 1. 6.7.

The gen 1 6.7 problems were not as common as the 6.4 and 6.0 problems but they were as catestrophic.

garrinchilders 03-14-2019 03:58 PM

This is helpful. Was it a hard cutoff with the titled 2015 models or do they do like GM does and install the engine in some late 2014 models that were built before the 2015 date cutoff and begin to title them as 2015 models after certain month?

speakerfritz 03-14-2019 05:23 PM

I don’t think it’s likely that gen 2’s made it into 2014 vehicles.

All I can say for sure is that the gen 1’s produced 400hp in 2014 and in 2015 the gen 2’s produced 440 hp.

there is a pretty long list of improvements in the gen 2, more metal in the upper engine (correction for cracking manifolds ), more fillets in the crank ( correction for the crank splitting problem) , bearing surfaces coated ( correction for spinning bearings).

wrvond 03-15-2019 10:31 AM

Concerning the water separator: If water comes out, it's doing it's job, but the idea is to buy quality fuel in the first place. I check mine regularly and have never had any water visible in the jar.

bobv60 03-15-2019 04:24 PM

For checking the water open the drain on the lower filter into s clean container and look for any water.
a small ammount doesnt mean it's a problem, but you have to wonder when was the last time it was drained? How much water that time?
The best is to see no water at all.
large amounts of water, or rust or brown fluids are a sign that you might have a problem soon.

Ian123 03-15-2019 05:50 PM

Not sure how familiar you are/what you do at the GM dealer, but the Ford 6.7 uses the same junk CP4 injection pump as the LML Duramax did. That alone would be reason for me to stay away (~$10k repair when the pump fails)

Overkill2 03-16-2019 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ian123 (Post 18542094)
Not sure how familiar you are/what you do at the GM dealer, but the Ford 6.7 uses the same junk CP4 injection pump as the LML Duramax did. That alone would be reason for me to stay away (~$10k repair when the pump fails)

While I know there's been some failures on the 6.7s with the CP4.2, I don't know that I would put all the blame on the pump and not any on the crap we call fuel, ULSD. I'm in no way standing up for Bosch or defending Ford sticking it to people who have had HPFP failures, I think the main reason is the diesel fuel in the U.S. could be better. You're talking high pressure, less fuel flow than the CP3 and a fuel that has less lubricity than past diesel fuel. The tolerances are tighter inside the pump and they expect miracles out of us using modern day diesel fuel. While I do think it's a possibly to have this happen and I think of it myself, it's not a trending issue.

The issue is getting a bad batch of fuel. That's why I run a additive that everyone tells me not to, but I digress. Everyone here says run quality fuel, buy at high turn over places, etc. But how do you really know you're getting quality fuel without looking at the fuel inside the tank or testing it? Chances are you probably won't get a bad batch but tell that to the guys who got denied coverage by Ford. That could have been anyone of us. All these modern high pressure common rail fuel systems are susceptible to bad fuel. I saw a video on the fuel water separators from Cummins Filtration and it blows Ford's DCFM lift pump out of the water. That's what our trucks need. I'm all about overkill and being proactive. I'd rather have and not need than need and not have. You know, like a Jimmy or a gun.

I'm sure there is better fuel in places than where I'm at, New York. But the ability of our fuel to absorb or attract water is strengthened by the very process of refining sulfur out of the fuel. Just like modern gasoline which is a 30 day fuel, modern day diesel is a 90 day fuel.

Fefanatic 03-16-2019 09:32 AM

I don't know how it might work with a Ford in a GM dealership but is it possible you can get an extended powertrain warranty included with purchase? That would give you the extra time needed to be sure there isn't anything wrong with the drivetrain.

speakerfritz 03-16-2019 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Overkill2 (Post 18542947)

I'm sure there is better fuel in places than where I'm at, New York. But the ability of our fuel to absorb or attract water is strengthened by the very process of refining sulfur out of the fuel. Just like modern gasoline which is a 30 day fuel, modern day diesel is a 90 day fuel.

FORD provides options. Once you switch to 5w40 or 15w40 , you can run b5 thru b20.

I think you may also have to switch from normal duty maint eve schedule to severe duty. Being in nyc where you drive 1 block, idle 3 minutes at a red light, then drive anoth block, cycle repeats ,I think due to excessive idling I’m at severe duty anyway.

Lab studies have shown that b5 provides more lube value than any diesel additive.

some stations sell b5. A few stations on the Nj turnpike have a label on thier pimps indicating b5.

i buy 12 five gallon containers of b30 at a time. I use 2 of them at each fill up. 10 gallons of b30 plus 38 gallons of b zero puts me at about b7. It’s amazing how much quieter the high pressure fuel pump sounds once it gets decent lube.

Ian123 03-18-2019 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Overkill2 (Post 18542947)
While I know there's been some failures on the 6.7s with the CP4.2, I don't know that I would put all the blame on the pump and not any on the crap we call fuel, ULSD. I'm in no way standing up for Bosch or defending Ford sticking it to people who have had HPFP failures, I think the main reason is the diesel fuel in the U.S. could be better. You're talking high pressure, less fuel flow than the CP3 and a fuel that has less lubricity than past diesel fuel. The tolerances are tighter inside the pump and they expect miracles out of us using modern day diesel fuel. While I do think it's a possibly to have this happen and I think of it myself, it's not a trending issue.

The issue is getting a bad batch of fuel. That's why I run a additive that everyone tells me not to, but I digress. Everyone here says run quality fuel, buy at high turn over places, etc. But how do you really know you're getting quality fuel without looking at the fuel inside the tank or testing it? Chances are you probably won't get a bad batch but tell that to the guys who got denied coverage by Ford. That could have been anyone of us. All these modern high pressure common rail fuel systems are susceptible to bad fuel. I saw a video on the fuel water separators from Cummins Filtration and it blows Ford's DCFM lift pump out of the water. That's what our trucks need. I'm all about overkill and being proactive. I'd rather have and not need than need and not have. You know, like a Jimmy or a gun.

Yeah I'll agree the fuel is the problem, but the reason i call the pump junk is because it was not designed to work within the parameters that it is required to (with US fuel). I don't understand how "well it works fine over here" is an acceptable excuse.

The Bone 03-19-2019 07:56 AM

I have been across the country 3 times with my 5th wheel and bought fuel from all over the place and never got a bad tank of fuel. Bio diesel sucks. You get poor fuel millage with that crap. You guys are so worried about fuel when you have no problem removing the DEF system and egr. But fuel is a concern? People spend all this money on a diesel than worry about everything. Leaving the truck stock except tires and wheels maybe a lift to make it cool but not useless to use is ok. It mostly takes the worry out of owning the truck. If you delete the truck the dealer will not warranty the truck. Even a extended warranty is void. They may sell you one but good luck getting any warranty repairs. I make it a rule never buy something modified by someone else. You never know what they really did.
OP I would not buy this truck even though all the parts appear to be there.

Overkill2 03-19-2019 08:06 AM

Speakerfritz, I have never seen B5 for sale around my area unless I just haven't run into them at all. Yes, I have heard of the benefits of running some B5 for lubrication. Thanks for the tips.

I also have plans to install a FASS lift pump to feed the DFCM lift pump to "shine" the fuel; to remove the air from the fuel to help longevity with the pump and injectors. I been in contact with them and found out that there is a bypass built in to the pump in case their pump went down. Then the OEM DFCM lift pump can keep flowing fuel to the HPFP. Apparently pickup owners get an average of 2 to 3 mpg with their use. Hell, 1 mpg gain would be great.

Overkill2 03-19-2019 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ian123 (Post 18547516)
Yeah I'll agree the fuel is the problem, but the reason i call the pump junk is because it was not designed to work within the parameters that it is required to (with US fuel). I don't understand how "well it works fine over here" is an acceptable excuse.

I wasnt trying to disagree with you but I found this article with a lot of information regarding modern diesel fuel and lubricity of same. To further refine my point, it has more to do with excessive moisture in diesel fuel. That's whats frying the CP4.2s. While I realize that lube agents are added to the fuel we buy, it's water in fuel that can overpower the DFCM. The fact that failures HAVE happened in our trucks, GM trucks, VWs and others that use the CP4.x pumps says that failure CAN happen but NOT that it will. The DieselSite owner had it happen to him. He got a WIF light and that was it. The fuel system was toast. That's why he came up with their fuel water separator that's on their site. Some guys haven't got a WIF light. The potential is there, however small it is, is a concern.

https://fueloilnews.com/2010/03/04/t...-of-lubricity/

Overkill2 03-19-2019 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by The Bone (Post 18548400)
I have been across the country 3 times with my 5th wheel and bought fuel from all over the place and never got a bad tank of fuel. Bio diesel sucks. You get poor fuel millage with that crap. You guys are so worried about fuel when you have no problem removing the DEF system and egr. But fuel is a concern? People spend all this money on a diesel than worry about everything. Leaving the truck stock except tires and wheels maybe a lift to make it cool but not useless to use is ok. It mostly takes the worry out of owning the truck. .

I'm happy to hear you've never had a problem. Either have I but if I was that worried about it, I wouldn't drive my truck. I don't drive cross country but have put a decent amount of miles in 2 years and 2 months of ownership, 38,500 miles. So again, I drive it.

Yes, running a higher grade or percentage biodiesel, you don't get the mileage of regular diesel. But adding a little like B5 will aid in improving lubrication in our ULSD. It is used to increase the lube value that traditional diesel had. They have to add lube additives before selling the fuel because the process of removing sulfur removes the lubrication out of the fuel. I'm glad you're so carefree in your attitude on fuel. That's a personal decision. One question for you though, do you ever drain the DFCM to check for water and if so, at what frequency?

About deleting, it's another personal decision. I'd rather run stock but if problems arise, it is a high likelihood that I will. If emissions lasted, had no problems, and the cost of maintenance of it wasn't so high, I'd have no problem staying stock. I have no problem staying stock now because I have no problems. When I say that deleted 6.7s run really well, I'm not saying stock ones don't. I would not delete to become part of the crowd, I would delete to prevent spending thousands on parts that will eventually fail again. I would delete to hopefully gain a little mileage. I would delete to increase the reliability of my engine as this truck is a very long term vehicle for me. I would delete with a 0 hp or modest tow tune with no smoke. That is why I would delete.

Spending a lot of money on a truck where the factory replacement kit for 15 to 16s fuel system is 5k and labor not included, when pumps have failed because of fuel related issues have happened, makes fuel a concern and makes it a concern in general because we all spent a lot of money on our diesel engine option. Just my 2 cents.

I'm 52 so being part of the cool crew is not an option or concern for me. I'm already cool driving a Super Duty with the Scorpion. I do have plans though for a set of Black Rhino wheels and stock size or 18s tires for the summer. But I'd rather spend money on something that will make the engine and parts last longer like a FASS lift pump. But that's just me. There's enough jacked up trucks with offset wheels rolling around my area. That's the beauty of being able to do what you want to your truck and to come here to offer your own personal taste to the melting pot of different tastes. Peace.

lynnmor 03-19-2019 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Overkill2 (Post 18548424)
Speakerfritz, I have never seen B5 for sale around my area unless I just haven't run into them at all. Yes, I have heard of the benefits of running some B5 for lubrication.

Pumps with 5% or less bio aren't required to be labeled. Many states require a certain percentage of bio to be added to all diesel, so you almost certainly have been using it. labels

speakerfritz 03-19-2019 11:46 AM

Speakerfritz, I have never seen B5 for sale around my area unless I just haven't run into them at all. Yes, I have heard of the benefits of running some B5 for lubrication. Thanks for the tips.

I also have plans to install a FASS lift pump to feed the DFCM lift pump to "shine" the fuel; to remove the air from the fuel to help longevity with the pump and injectors. I been in contact with them and found out that there is a bypass built in to the pump in case their pump went down. Then the OEM DFCM lift pump can keep flowing fuel to the HPFP. Apparently pickup owners get an average of 2 to 3 mpg with their use. Hell, 1 mpg gain would be great.

so in Nj the Sunoco station in the middle of the njtp have a 5% bio sticker.

i buy b30 in bulk at a place called Woollys in north jersey. I mix 10 gallons of 30 to 38 gallons of b zero and get a little over b5 out of it.

Overkill2 03-19-2019 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by lynnmor (Post 18548886)
Pumps with 5% or less bio aren't required to be labeled. Many states require a certain percentage of bio to be added to all diesel, so you almost certainly have been using it. labels

Consider me a more educated consumer of diesel fuel. I'd love if I had a blend of 5% biodiesel for a little lube added. Thanks for the link. Now I just have to work on finding out if the distributors around here are selling B5.

More about labelling Here:

https://www.natso.com/blog/truckstop...nts-unraveled-

Originally Posted by speakerfritz (Post 18548961)

So in Nj the Sunoco station in the middle of the njtp have a 5% bio sticker.

i buy b30 in bulk at a place called Woollys in north jersey. I mix 10 gallons of 30 to 38 gallons of b zero and get a little over b5 out of it.

I did a search here and found out that there are only three stations in New York state with the closest one 154 miles from me out of the first 10 listings.

https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/biodie...location=14218

speakerfritz 03-19-2019 04:13 PM

https://biodiesel.org/using-biodiesel/finding-biodiesel/locate-distributors-in-the-us/biodiesel-distributor-listings?ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder2_C002_RadGrid1Ch angePage=17_30

this
site has listing for b5, b10, b20

Chuck-B 03-20-2019 09:16 AM

You for sure have to question the quality of the diesel fuel we're using if the manufacturer of our vehicles sells a fuel additive.

The Bone 03-20-2019 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Overkill2 (Post 18548566)
I'm happy to hear you've never had a problem. Either have I but if I was that worried about it, I wouldn't drive my truck. I don't drive cross country but have put a decent amount of miles in 2 years and 2 months of ownership, 38,500 miles. So again, I drive it.

Yes, running a higher grade or percentage biodiesel, you don't get the mileage of regular diesel. But adding a little like B5 will aid in improving lubrication in our ULSD. It is used to increase the lube value that traditional diesel had. They have to add lube additives before selling the fuel because the process of removing sulfur removes the lubrication out of the fuel. I'm glad you're so carefree in your attitude on fuel. That's a personal decision. One question for you though, do you ever drain the DFCM to check for water and if so, at what frequency?

About deleting, it's another personal decision. I'd rather run stock but if problems arise, it is a high likelihood that I will. If emissions lasted, had no problems, and the cost of maintenance of it wasn't so high, I'd have no problem staying stock. I have no problem staying stock now because I have no problems. When I say that deleted 6.7s run really well, I'm not saying stock ones don't. I would not delete to become part of the crowd, I would delete to prevent spending thousands on parts that will eventually fail again. I would delete to hopefully gain a little mileage. I would delete to increase the reliability of my engine as this truck is a very long term vehicle for me. I would delete with a 0 hp or modest tow tune with no smoke. That is why I would delete.

Spending a lot of money on a truck where the factory replacement kit for 15 to 16s fuel system is 5k and labor not included, when pumps have failed because of fuel related issues have happened, makes fuel a concern and makes it a concern in general because we all spent a lot of money on our diesel engine option. Just my 2 cents.

I'm 52 so being part of the cool crew is not an option or concern for me. I'm already cool driving a Super Duty with the Scorpion. I do have plans though for a set of Black Rhino wheels and stock size or 18s tires for the summer. But I'd rather spend money on something that will make the engine and parts last longer like a FASS lift pump. But that's just me. There's enough jacked up trucks with offset wheels rolling around my area. That's the beauty of being able to do what you want to your truck and to come here to offer your own personal taste to the melting pot of different tastes. Peace.

I don't drain my filter because the 15 has a sensor to tell if you have water in the system However I change my fuel filters @ 20,000 miles. So far I have not seen any water when I change the filters.
I add cetane to my fuel every other tank and towing every tank. I get it at Ford only so I know it.s ok for my truck. I have just over 60,000 miles on my truck with 30,000 of that towing my 13,000# 5th wheel so I work my truck.
This is my first diesel and very happy with the reliability of my truck so far. Sure I have had a couple hiccups. The CAC tube had the rubber come off a plastic fitting but I just put a Ford hose clamp on it $50 wow for a clamp. I also had some DEF issues but the truck fixed itself so now I know not to worry. I do agree that some of this stuff for this truck is expensive to repair but way cheaper than buying another truck and if you like the truck worth the money to fix. I am a DYI guy so I would do as much as I can myself but the fuel system isn't one I would feel comfortable messing with.

willydmax 03-20-2019 07:21 PM

No disrespect meant Overkill, but I think you are wasting your money on some clever marketing with putting a Fass on your truck. The stock lift pump and filter system is great on these trucks. I install a lot of lift pumps on Duramax trucks that don't have a factory lift pump and I don't use the Fass system. It's loud and not designed as well as the pump setup that I use from Kennedy Diesel. Just my $.02.

Overkill2 03-20-2019 09:18 PM

I checked this as well. Troy, NY is the closest to me. It's all downstate near the big city. But thanks. A lot of info on that site.

Overkill2 03-20-2019 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by willydmax (Post 18551631)
No disrespect meant Overkill, but I think you are wasting your money on some clever marketing with putting a Fass on your truck. The stock lift pump and filter system is great on these trucks. I install a lot of lift pumps on Duramax trucks that don't have a factory lift pump and I don't use the Fass system. It's loud and not designed as well as the pump setup that I use from Kennedy Diesel. Just my $.02.

You've always been a straight shooter and respectful in my eyes, Willy. I respect that so no need to feel bad. I always appreciate different opinions. I'm not saying that the factory lift isn't good. It has most to do with removing the air out of the fuel. I'm not removing the DFCM but feeding it with the Fass. This is about removing the air.

I'd like to hear why you don't like them. I'll check out Kennedy Diesel, thanks.

willydmax 03-21-2019 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Overkill2 (Post 18552079)
You've always been a straight shooter and respectful in my eyes, Willy. I respect that so no need to feel bad. I always appreciate different opinions. I'm not saying that the factory lift isn't good. It has most to do with removing the air out of the fuel. I'm not removing the DFCM but feeding it with the Fass. This is about removing the air.

I'd like to hear why you don't like them. I'll check out Kennedy Diesel, thanks.

Thanks Overkill! Maybe I'm being hard on them but in the Duramax application they run so much fuel volume that they run a return line back into the tank and in my opinion that aerates the fuel which is exactly what you don't want on a diesel. I like a high quality product as well as the next guy but if there is too much marketing and not enough proof then I get skeptical. I like to be able to honestly recommend a product because I have good proof it's good for the customer and not just for me as the seller.

speakerfritz 03-21-2019 02:09 PM

in the Duramax application they run so much fuel volume that they run a return line back into the tank and in my opinion that aerates the fuel which is exactly what you don't want on a diesel.
All modern engines that use the Bosch pumps are setup that way.

Overkill2 03-21-2019 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by willydmax (Post 18553192)
Thanks Overkill! Maybe I'm being hard on them but in the Duramax application they run so much fuel volume that they run a return line back into the tank and in my opinion that aerates the fuel which is exactly what you don't want on a diesel. I like a high quality product as well as the next guy but if there is too much marketing and not enough proof then I get skeptical. I like to be able to honestly recommend a product because I have good proof it's good for the customer and not just for me as the seller.

I came across a DMax thread that is about this very issue with Kennedy commenting in it. I'm on my cell now but will post a pic or the link address. I appreciate your input as your the wrench turner with a WHOLE LOT MORE experience in the oil burner world. You brought up some valid points and something I never thought of because of my inexperience with diesels but I'm learning fast. You're never too old to learn something my dad always told me. Good stuff. Thanks.

willydmax 03-21-2019 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by speakerfritz (Post 18553281)

All modern engines that use the Bosch pumps are setup that way.

I'm well aware of what you're referring to speakerfritz. I should have been more clear. On a lot of the Duramax applications the Fass system runs a separate return line that tee's into the fuel fill hose. That in my mind creates aeration of the fuel.