Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What do you call the nut with the frame clip on it... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1575602-what-do-you-call-the-nut-with-the-frame-clip-on-it.html)

BigBlue2 03-12-2019 01:46 AM

What do you call the nut with the frame clip on it...

...the one that holds up the under bed spare tire holder eyebolt. It resists rotation when screwing in the eyebolt up through the sparetire carrier member when securing the spare tire up, or letting it down. The clip on mine broke. Would really like to replace it but don't know the name or part number.

NumberDummy 03-12-2019 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlue2 (Post 18534846)
...the one that holds up the under bed spare tire holder eyebolt. It resists rotation when screwing in the eyebolt up through the sparetire carrier member when securing the spare tire up, or letting it down. The clip on mine broke. Would really like to replace it but don't know the name or part number.

Look at the pic. Is N805270-S what you're asking for? If not...

It's difficult to help people when they fail to list a single shred of evidence of what the hell they're working on.

Please, when asking questions, list ALL the pertinent info, we are not mind readers. Year, model, with or without aft axle fuel tank, wheelbase.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...83052a0db5.jpg

Franklin2 03-12-2019 05:56 AM

Isn't it just a large speed nut? A larger version of what holds all the pieces on the front end of the truck? In other words, those little aggravating things that like to rust and break off.

Kramercd 03-12-2019 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Franklin2 (Post 18534963)
Isn't it just a large speed nut? A larger version of what holds all the pieces on the front end of the truck? In other words, those little aggravating things that like to rust and break off.

Yeah, speed nut, mine welded itself to the bolt and broke, still haven't gotten it loose and my eye bolt is starting to look like a worn out piece of rope.

Rembrant 03-12-2019 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Franklin2 (Post 18534963)
Isn't it just a large speed nut?

Yes sir. Some people call them "U Nuts" as well, but I think speed nut is the most common term.

I actually have this stuff all laying beside my desk because I have to clean up all the parts to re-install them. I believe the nut is M14-2...well, on my 84 at least.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...b819a2ecdf.jpg

Kramercd 03-12-2019 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rembrant (Post 18535195)
Yes sir. Some people call them "U Nuts" as well, but I think speed nut is the most common term.

I actually have this stuff all laying beside my desk because I have to clean up all the parts to re-install them. I believe the nut is M14-2...well, on my 84 at least.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...b819a2ecdf.jpg

I should have added that, last time I bought some from the hardware store the fastener manufacturer listed those as U-type speed nut.

Kramercd 03-12-2019 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 18534905)
Look at the pic. Is N805270-S what you're asking for? If not...

It's difficult to help people when they fail to list a single shred of evidence of what the hell they're working on.

Please, when asking questions, list ALL the pertinent info, we are not mind readers. Year, model, with or without aft axle fuel tank, wheelbase.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...83052a0db5.jpg

Take it easy buddy, he wasn't asking for a real part, honest. :) Totally get what you're saying though. Can't remember if that's in the introductory/new post rules or not, but it should be. That way when a new member messes it up we can all jump on them at once and scare them off.

Also, doesn't having the spare holder exclude having a rear tank, a stock rear anyway?

:-drink

BigBlue2 03-12-2019 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Kramercd (Post 18535751)
Take it easy buddy, he wasn't asking for a real part, honest. :) Totally get what you're saying though. Can't remember if that's in the introductory/new post rules or not, but it should be. That way when a new member messes it up we can all jump on them at once and scare them off.

Also, doesn't having the spare holder exclude having a rear tank, a stock rear anyway?

:-drink

Yep...that's the "speed nut" I was looking for. Sorry about being "spare" with my vehicle data as I figured the under bed spare tire carrier was universal to all the 80-86 F series. I do apologize. I do have the rear tank and skid plate on my 86 F-250 XL HD 4x4 supercab 6.9l IDI.

Many thanks to all, especially Number Dummy!

BB2

Kramercd 03-12-2019 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue2 (Post 18535772)
Yep...that's the "speed nut" I was looking for. Sorry about being "spare" with my vehicle data as I figured the under bed spare tire carrier was universal to all the 80-86 F series. I do apologize. I do have the rear tank and skid plate on my 86 F-250 XL HD 4x4 supercab 6.9l IDI.

Many thanks to all, especially Number Dummy!

BB2

Do you think you could do me a favor and try and get a picture of your spare tire carrier and where it's attached to the frame? I'll tell everyone you're a saint and a scholar.

BigBlue2 03-12-2019 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kramercd (Post 18535063)
Yeah, speed nut, mine welded itself to the bolt and broke, still haven't gotten it loose and my eye bolt is starting to look like a worn out piece of rope.

Rope? Hmmm mine does have a bend or two in it but I figured it to be an improvement as it finds it's "set". If you get a new one it's gonna noodle on you so might as well get a new speed nut and then keep it lubed. Mine broke in the same manner. Never was a problem but since the highway dept decided to put salt on the road it welded up in one winter. Took about a week of daily apps of penetrant to get it off. That would be real handy in the case of an actual flat tire!

BB2

BigBlue2 03-12-2019 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kramercd (Post 18535778)
Do you think you could do me a favor and try and get a picture of your spare tire carrier and where it's attached to the frame? I'll tell everyone you're a saint and a scholar.

I can take a pic for you if you need it but the drawing Number Dummy posted shows it's the samo samo.

Kramercd 03-12-2019 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue2 (Post 18535809)
I can take a pic for you if you need it but the drawing Number Dummy posted shows it's the samo samo.

You said you have the rear tank? I was thinking of putting in a rear tank. Can't see where to spare would move to. Was thinking if I saw how it should go I could steal more parts from the donor to mock something up.

1986F150six 03-12-2019 01:26 PM

Is this the "bad boy"?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/N805270S56-...MAAOSwG9ZbjpJe

[img=center]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jbMAAOSwG9ZbjpJe/s-l1600.jpg[/img]

BigBlue2 03-12-2019 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kramercd (Post 18535828)
You said you have the rear tank? I was thinking of putting in a rear tank. Can't see where to spare would move to. Was thinking if I saw how it should go I could steal more parts from the donor to mock something up.

You're gonna be limited to a 19 gallon tank. On mine the tank is supported by skid plates. Number Dummy's drawing shows the rear tank straps you'll need to support the rear tank if you can't get skid plates. If you're going with a plastic rear tank you will want skid plates as you cannot cinch the spare tire up tight against the bottom of the tank. Steel tank should be no problem. I'm a big fan of the skid plate supported rear tank...others on this forum hate them. Gotta stay out of the liquid deicer salt zone is all. Skid plates make a nice berth for the spare tire.

Like I say...I'm done with traveling on roads that get the liquid salts. It's cheaper to rent/lease a car if you have to drive in those conditions.

BB2

Kramercd 03-12-2019 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue2 (Post 18535852)
You're gonna be limited to a 19 gallon tank. On mine the tank is supported by skid plates. Number Dummy's drawing shows the rear tank straps you'll need to support the rear tank if you can't get skid plates. If you're going with a plastic rear tank you will want skid plates as you cannot cinch the spare tire up tight against the bottom of the tank. Steel tank should be no problem. I'm a big fan of the skid plate supported rear tank...others on this forum hate them. Gotta stay out of the liquid deicer salt zone is all. Skid plates make a nice berth for the spare tire.

Like I say...I'm done with traveling on roads that get the liquid salts. It's cheaper to rent/lease a car if you have to drive in those conditions.

BB2

I was under the impression you had to move it, maybe that's only for the 38 gallon rear. It does look like the parts diagram shows spacers for the spare under the rear tank.