Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   Newbie help! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1575552-newbie-help.html)

Ganty101 03-11-2019 06:12 PM

Newbie help!

Hi everyone, I’m David from the uk and I’m looking into selling my current car (r34 skyline) and using some of the cash from that sale to buy a f-100. I’m looking at spending upto £8000 or so but don’t really know what to look out for with these. I’ve seen one online that looks decent for the money (https://www.allamericanimports.co.uk...ang-v8-coupe-1 odd link I know)
Its a 292 3 speed manual and apparently it only needs a propshaft and the column gear lever. Now this probably isn’t the one as I’m yet to even list my car but it would be nice to know where to start looking! Also I would like to know if it’s possible to get a rhd conversion for these?

SuperSabre 03-12-2019 12:09 AM

Wow, really? Going from an R34 Skyline to a '63 F100? It couldn't be more different. I hope you're not thinking of buying your truck without seeing it in person and driving it. What do you plan to do with it? (What do you want it to be able to do?) RHD versions of some F100s were made in Australia, and maybe in Canada, but probably not in the U S. I would buy the best restored and original truck you can find - which could be a problem being in the UK. "Three on the tree" shift linkage can be a royal pain to repair satisfactorily and many of the parts to do it are seriously scarce. Many guys have given up in disgust and installed a floor mounted shifter, only to be disappointed with that as well. How good are you at fabrication and modification? The 292 Y block did not come with dual exhausts from the factory. Someone has done a Heath Robinson lash up to the one in the picture. 8000 quid is over $10,000. Even though your seller isn't asking quite that much for the truck, it seems too expensive to me for what I see there. Sorry to sound so negative. No doubt others on the forum will have different viewpoints. I just think you could do better for the amount of money you're willing to spend. Good luck!

Christmas 03-12-2019 12:23 AM

And it's a wrong bed. I have a 65 F250 CC CS Ranger that I would like to sell if your looking.

Ganty101 03-12-2019 02:27 AM

Thanks for the reply Sabre, yeah I’ve had the R34 for 6 years and it’s just too high maintenance. I’m wanting to have a simpler time with the ford!
As for mechanical knowhow, I’ve fitted coil overs, intercooler, radiator and timing belt. Even had the head go a couple of years ago and bar skimming it I did it all. Only thing I’m not willing to get involved in is paint work. Really I’d want something solid enough to keep as it is (bar undersealing ofcourse)
I’m wanting something that will basically be good to run as it is and do some quality of life upgrades to it as I go (disc brakes, custom exhaust etc) I’m not looking for a truck that will be factory fresh when I’m done or winning awards. I have a complicated setup right now and for my car to be garaged it has to be moved out of the garage through the day and back in on a night. I want this to be parked until I need it. Just under a cover not in a garage. Main thing is it has to have a V8 and preferably an auto box!
Finally it’s preferable to be able to see it in person before I buy it but that’s tricky as rust free tends to mean state side! Which would be difficult to say the least.

And christmas, got any more info for me? What size engine? Is it an auto? What’s wrong with it? Also where are you? Uk or further a field?

Christmas 03-12-2019 03:01 AM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...aedc744b3b.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...df5fdd359f.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...1c73a59d6f.jpg

Ganty101 03-12-2019 03:59 AM

That’s not quite what I’m looking for. But thanks anyway.

6t6merc 03-12-2019 03:14 PM

What are you looking for exactly? Most of them are pretty much the same as the one shown by Christmas.
Some factory RHD versions were built in Canada and shipped to Commonwealth countries, maybe including the UK. I believe they were all 6 cylinder 4-speed, in part to make the RHD conversion simpler. There are photos of one of them on FTE, in Australia I think.
Eric

TA455HO 03-12-2019 03:20 PM

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-64-f100.html

Engine has been swapped and a few things like they set it up for hydraulic clutch most likely. But, pretty cool truck.

Chad

Ganty101 03-12-2019 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by 6t6merc (Post 18536025)
What are you looking for exactly? Most of them are pretty much the same as the one shown by Christmas.
Some factory RHD versions were built in Canada and shipped to Commonwealth countries, maybe including the UK. I believe they were all 6 cylinder 4-speed, in part to make the RHD conversion simpler. There are photos of one of them on FTE, in Australia I think.
Eric

Well I’m sure I want a V8, and an auto. I’m not looking for too much of a project really. The one in the link I posted is along the lines of what I’m looking for condition wise. But it’s manual. I looked into christmas’ thread about the truck and it’s not in a condition I’m willing to take on (unless I missed something?)

I’m really looking for things to look out for (common faults and red flags) and help narrowing down which model I’m actually after, and just general advise on buying/owning one.

Christmas 03-12-2019 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ganty101 (Post 18536130)

Well I’m sure I want a V8, and an auto. I’m not looking for too much of a project really. The one in the link I posted is along the lines of what I’m looking for condition wise. But it’s manual. I looked into christmas’ thread about the truck and it’s not in a condition I’m willing to take on (unless I missed something?)

I’m really looking for things to look out for (common faults and red flags) and help narrowing down which model I’m actually after, and just general advise on buying/owning one.

What is it exactly that is not what your looking for. It's a CC CS Ranger V8 (2000mi on rebuild ) Cruise O Matic body is rust free and straight. According to the 65-66 Ranger registry there are only a handfull of 65 F250's

Ganty101 03-12-2019 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Christmas (Post 18536285)
What is it exactly that is not what your looking for. It's a CC CS Ranger V8 (2000mi on rebuild ) Cruise O Matic body is rust free and straight. According to the 65-66 Ranger registry there are only a handfull of 65 F250's

forgive the ignorance here but I have no idea what a CC CS is and isn’t that a camper back on it? I’m just thinking I don’t want that on and if it’s part of the original truck won’t it cost me more for the truck just to rip it off? Also where abouts are you?

Christmas 03-12-2019 05:58 PM

CC-Custom Cab, CS-Camper Special. The camper is a 1958 Alaskan pop up and it sits in the bed-and comes right out. Boulder Creek California

SuperSabre 03-13-2019 12:01 AM

Maybe we should start with what you know about these trucks and what you don't. We don't want to insult your intelligence. Are you primarily interested in 1961 - 1966 F100s or would other years work just as well? F100s are rated as half ton vehicles and have a reasonably comfortable ride (for what it is) whereas the F250 is a three quarter ton truck which is much more heavy duty and the ride is commensurately harsher. Both can be had with 4 wheel drive and/or limited slip differentials but most come 2 wheel drive with an open diff. Wheelbases ('61 - '66) are 115 inch or 129 inch and the bed lengths are 6.5 feet or 8 feet. Bed styling can be Styleside, which has a straight exterior side appearance, with the inside of the bed having the wheel arches, or Flareside in which the bed interior does not have the wheel arches in it and there is no bodywork to impede the load. The wheel arches are outside the bed. I'm sorry that was a pretty poor description, but I hope you get the idea. There are essentially two cab trim levels: Standard and Custom Cab (CC). The CC has slightly nicer stuff in it than the standard cab, but it's still pretty basic. The CC trim was upgraded some for '65 and '66. '61 - '64 models have older Y block V8 engines available in 272 and 292 cubic inch capacities, and I6 engines of 223 and (rare) 262 cubic inches. '65 - '66 trucks had what is called an FE V8 engine of 352 cubic inches (5.8 litre) rated at 208 gross hp/172 net hp. There were also 240 and 300 cubic inch I6 engines. Transmissions included 3 speed manual (all synchromesh from 1963 model year), 3 speed manual plus overdrive (fairly rare), two different 4 speed manuals (both with a "granny" [stump puller] first gear which is rarely used), and an automatic. You could get an option package for hauling a camper on the back, the Camper Special (CS), and in '65 - '66 you could get a plusher interior with Mustang bucket seats, carpet, and other stuff called the Ranger package. Many people would say that the '65 and '66 models are the one to get because it's easier than some of the earlier ones to get parts for and to modify with disc brakes (you'd want to add a dual system brake master cylinder cylinder as only single reservoir m/cs were required before 1967) and other stuff. The petrol consumption for the V8 engines will likely alarm you. The last time I was in the UK your petrol cost the equivalent of $7 per U S gallon (doing the conversion from pence per litre) and you'd be doing well to get 12 - 18 miles per Imperial gallon. I'm afraid this is a bit simplistic and I have left out a lot. You asked what to look out for - rust - especially the radiator core support and cab mount and floor and cowl vent areas. Hopefully you'll get more advice than that. Hope this has been some help. Ask questions - that's what we're here for. Good luck with your search.

Ganty101 03-13-2019 02:48 AM

So I’m now certain from sabres post that the F-100 is good for me. I’m not hauling anything really so having wheel arches in the bed wouldn’t hurt me. I guessing that the Styleside is the less desirable of the 2 for that reason so another bonus for me?! I don’t need 4wd and certainly don’t need mustang seats! Just a standard cab for me (bench seat?). Definitely a V8 though the actual size isn’t too important. It’s nice to know about the synchro, opens up a manual box but I’d still prefer an auto. I’m looking for a very basic truck for simplerer/more enjoyable maintenance. I’m gonna be doing around 3000miles a year so fuel consumption isn’t really an issue for me, though would I need an lead additive or something for the fuel? And just rust? So one from a dry state makes it safer? I read somewhere that a compression test is advisable? That maybe hard with me being across the pond, where as I can ask for pictures etc. I know not great as I’d rather try before I buy but short of going to the states I think I’ll be struggling with that!

So going from all that i do want a 61-66 F-100 SWB Styleside standard cab with a V8 and preferably an auto box and 2wd? Is there anything in that to bump the price up as rather keep the price down where possible as we pay a premium for any old American vehicles here.

doug64f100 03-13-2019 01:52 PM

Well you narrowed it down to the most desirable version of the '61-'66 Ford F100 truck, which equates to, higher demand and prices typically.