Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   7.3L / 6.8L V8 Gasoline Engines (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum307/)
-   -   Who else is looking forward to seeing the 7.3L used as an engine swap in some classics? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1575508-who-else-is-looking-forward-to-seeing-the-7-3l-used-as-an-engine-swap-in-some-classics.html)

640 CI Aluminum FORD 03-11-2019 11:44 AM

Who else is looking forward to seeing the 7.3L used as an engine swap in some classics?

Maybe I'm alone in this train of thought, but my favorite Ford trucks have always been the 1973 - 1979 dent side models, I really enjoy watching people do Coyote Swaps on those old trucks, the idea of taking a classic truck like that and modernizing the power/drive train is a dream of mine. One day I myself would like to acquire 73-79 F-350 and modernize it to something that could be driven daily and comfortably. When I play this dream out in my head I usually am doing a Coyote Swap on the truck. But I have to admit, I have a very real soft spot for big block V8's and I'm truly excited for the new 7.3L! I wonder if it'll be a viable engine to swap into some older Fords. The idea of owning a 1979ish F-350 with the 7.3L and 10-Speed auto has me foaming at the mouth! lol.

Given that this engine is a more compact OHV design, do you guys thinking in the coming years and decades it'll be an engine that gets used for swaps in the future? I figure the Coyote will remain the gold standard of Ford engine swaps as its still way more powerful than stock big blocks of the past and twice as fuel efficient. But a 7.3L swap does sound cool in my mind.

Chuck's First Ford 03-11-2019 04:58 PM

no question.. YES.... it will not be a direct bolt in..
but YES... its about the same size as a 428.. maybe a little smaller..

except for the intake manifold...

7.3 L = 445 1/2... inches..

super 6.8 03-12-2019 05:16 PM

It will be a heck of a lot easier than swapping in a V10!

Chuck's First Ford 03-12-2019 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by super 6.8 (Post 18536279)
It will be a heck of a lot easier than swapping in a V10!

Talk about a "LONG" block :)

Ron94150 03-12-2019 09:57 PM

Tire melting torque. I've got the same dream, with a rack and pinion front end, 6 speed manual with air conditioning and a lot of sound deadening. Except I want mine in a bump side.

josht 03-13-2019 02:13 AM

I know I'm interested. My 68 F-100 had a 390 with unknown years and probably hundreds of thousands of miles. I'm under no illusions that it'll last another decade, but hope it'll last several more years before major work. Since finding out about the 7.3 I've seriously been wandering about it as a candidate for a swap. If it's available second hand by the time I need a new engine it might just happen, otherwise I'll be sticking with the 390.

My main concern is transmission and, being 4wd, transfer case options. My truck is manual transmission and staffing that way, but something I read/watched suggested the 7.3 would be auto only. Someone will have to figure out how to put a manual transmission and transfer case behind this thing.

Chuck's First Ford 03-13-2019 04:28 AM

its called an adapter plate

replace flex plate with flywheel... adapter plate for transmission bolt up to engine block.

custom transmission mount..

done

automatic to manual.. manual to automatic... being done almost forever...

if Ford is smart.. should follow Chevy.. crate engine.. with custom computer.. so almost bolt/plug-in for hot rodders..

Ron94150 03-13-2019 08:41 AM

I'm guessing it will share the bell housing pattern of the 6.2, which it gets from the modular family. So my guess is the manuals of the last 20 years or so will bolt up to it. Getting a flywheel off the shelf might be a different story, lol.

Chuck's First Ford 03-13-2019 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ron94150 (Post 18537339)
I'm guessing it will share the bell housing pattern of the 6.2, which it gets from the modular family. So my guess is the manuals of the last 20 years or so will bolt up to it. Getting a flywheel off the shelf might be a different story, lol.

I am sure $200.00 and a stock flywheel to a machine shop.... will get you what you want
ever see a machine shop weld up a damaged crankshaft...?????

the 6.2 and 7.3 most likely be the same bolt pattern..

'65Ford 03-13-2019 09:03 PM

From everything I've read, the new 7.3 gasser is the most enticing engine Ford has made for trucks since the 7.3 PS. Its relative simplicity, strength, and theoretical power curve should make it a real work horse.

I'd have to think hard before putting it in a slick, bump, or dent side pickup though...especially if I had the option of getting a built FE engine. For a serious daily work truck, I think I'd go for a new superduty and the 7.3. For an occasional work truck and cruiser I'd lean toward the classic pickup with an FE built with modern goodies like roller cam, aluminum heads, electronic ignition, etc. A built FE makes sweet music, makes more power and torque than a coyote or the theoretical power and torque of the stock 7.3, and will get about the same mpg per horsepower as the modern engines. I'm talking an FE built with more modern aftermarket parts...not the garden variety stock 390. Engines are more fun when mass production restraints are removed.

SDDL-UP 04-14-2019 09:03 PM

There a tens of thousands of the 73-79 Ford truck still on the road and I for one would definitely be interested in swapping in a new 7.3L gas engine.

I've owned a 77 Bronco and always thought the old 302 had adequate power, but have to admit a Coyote swap in an early Bronco is very intriguing. For my current Bronco - a 78, I would not want anything under 400 C.I. It currently has a fairly mild 400 in it now and does pretty well, just can't see going with less cubes.

7.3 would be a really nice fit in a lot of older Fords!