Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   First set of mods for 2013 limit stock turbo (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1575080-first-set-of-mods-for-2013-limit-stock-turbo.html)

Igor 03-07-2019 02:15 PM

First set of mods for 2013 limit stock turbo

Hey guys,

I have owned several fords over the last few years, all stock.
In the past, I owned an 05 cummins that I did a lot of mods to and miss that type of truck.

Anyway, my 13 is off warranty now (5yrs) and it has about 70,000 miles on it.
I got my first CEL, Urea heater.

I have a H&S Mini Max Race I bought a few years ago. I never really used it. Did a firmware update on it the other day, checked it, and it works.

SO, I would like to mod this truck to be fun/still reliable.
Reading things, it seems that the 13s have the smaller turbo and weaker injection pump.

What are the limits using stock turbo and injection pump?
I was thinking for first mods:

-No Limit Intake (from what I read, flows the best)
-No Limit EGR Delete with coolant XO (seems to have best reviews)
-H&S Intercooler upgrade pipe or whatever its called
-5" downpipe back exhaust (no, which exhaust do I pick. I want a muffler, I want to try and keep it as quiet as I can with 5")

What else should I do? Is a 4" MBRP Downpipe a good idea? Or not necessary? Seems like people are complaining about the install.

After this, if a person were to look at a different turbo, is 15-16 turbo/injection pipe the only way to go, or, is there better stuff that us 11-14 owners can jump to?

The truck is a 2013 Platinum crew cab long box with 4" lift on 37" tires and 3.55 gear
I also have a new 19 F450 with stock tires and 4:30 gear and the bigger turbo. What a difference...

SanDiego56 03-07-2019 05:36 PM

My 11 is deleted with 4”... I run a mini max... normal driving I run on street setting, I tow on the tow setting... tons more fun to drive than stock and no def issues...

Chuck-B 03-08-2019 11:18 AM

Before I did anything if I were you I would rip that what feels like 10 gallon fuel tank out and replace it with a Titan 50 gallon tank.

Overkill2 03-09-2019 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by SanDiego56 (Post 18526148)
My 11 is deleted with 4”... I run a mini max... normal driving I run on street setting, I tow on the tow setting... tons more fun to drive than stock and no def issues...

The 11 to 14s have the ceramic bearings. From what I've read, no personal experience, running the stock 11-14 turbos with tuning can over rev those turbos and possibly have bearing issues. Maybe they are talking about the race tunes. How many miles on your rig?

For FYI:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine/1708-ditching-the-failure-prone-vgt-turbo-on-fords-11-14-6-7l-power-stroke/

SanDiego56 03-09-2019 02:29 PM

Overkill. I just turned 65k bought the truck as a lease return with 42k deleted at 45k.... my boost during normal driving I’d around 10 psi... when I put my foot in it a lil it stays below 20.... I’m not looking for a race truck just one that can pull my boat and get me where I need to go... no racing for me... time will tell how the turbo fares... I’m not worried in the slightest though

Just Strokin 03-09-2019 06:12 PM

The Urea heater might be covered under the extended warranty Ford has offered for some truck. Check with your dealer to see if yours is covered.

Overkill2 03-09-2019 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by SanDiego56 (Post 18529785)
Overkill. I just turned 65k bought the truck as a lease return with 42k deleted at 45k.... my boost during normal driving I’d around 10 psi... when I put my foot in it a lil it stays below 20.... I’m not looking for a race truck just one that can pull my boat and get me where I need to go... no racing for me... time will tell how the turbo fares... I’m not worried in the slightest though

Good to hear, SanDiego. You should like someone with some common sense, but to each his own. I was just posting up FYI for the OP. It is something to consider. There is a reason they got away from ceramic ball bearings and went to a larger turbo. Keep on trucking, dude.

jav_eee 03-10-2019 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Igor
The truck is a 2013 Platinum crew cab long box with 4" lift on 37" tires and 3.55 gear
I also have a new 19 F450 with stock tires and 4:30 gear and the bigger turbo. What a difference...

That difference you feel comes from that 4:30 ratio....

Igor 03-11-2019 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by jav_eee (Post 18530995)
That difference you feel comes from that 4:30 ratio....

Yes the 4:30s make the truck perform so much better.

I say best mods for my 11 would be 4.56s. I don't even know what gears are available for these trucks.

I don't think I have any extended warranty left on it for the urea heater, but can check.

As for Titan tanks, thought about that too with a better lift pump...

Overkill2 03-12-2019 10:01 AM

I am most likely going to go with a FASS lift pump to feed the factory DFCM pump because I am still under warranty. I do hear that the DCFM is a good pump but I would like to eliminate air from the fuel to "shine" it so to speak. Hopefully that would gain me some MPG. This is the one they recommend to support up to 600hp and assist the DCFM:

https://fassride.com/shop/product/fuel-air-separation-systems/titanium-signature-series-diesel-fuel-lift-pump-165gph10psi-ford-powerstroke-6-7l-2011-2016/

It sounds like you want to eliminate your stock DCFM. They recommend this for up to 700hp to bypass our stock lift pump:

https://fassride.com/shop/product/fuel-air-separation-systems/titanium-signature-series-diesel-fuel-lift-pump-125gph55psi-ford-powerstroke-6-7l-2011-2016/

IMHO, there is no doubt that as the truck is moving down the road agitating the fuel, air bubbles are being created and getting sent from the DCFM to the HPFP to the injectors. I'm not saying anyone needs this to run their truck, but it sure is nice knowing that the air is being taken out and sending only fuel to the pump and injectors. My 2 cents.