Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum287/)
-   -   New '19 f250 moves around while towing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1575033-new-19-f250-moves-around-while-towing.html)

Wotf8 03-07-2019 07:12 AM

New '19 f250 moves around while towing

We just pulled our fifthwheel trailer for the first time with our new f250 crewcab, (regular tow package) and it wiggles or moves around more than I expected. It requires a fair bit of steering corrections and not sure if this is normal or is it the michilen tires or? My previous pickup was a 2014 Ram 2500 and it drove very straight, sometimes if the road was perfect you could forget there was a trailer back there. Now it had the coil link rear suspension with a sway bar, maybe that kept things tighter. I am not saying this truck is bad, just not quite as good as I think it can be.

scraprat 03-07-2019 07:29 AM

What 5th wheel? Hitch setup?

st.rodder2 03-07-2019 07:33 AM

What are you running for tire pressure in the rears? I had the same thing when I was running 65 PSI. Went away when I up the pressure to 75 PSI. Is the trailer level when hitched?

Wotf8 03-07-2019 07:42 AM

It is a 39.5' heartland, weighs 12000 loaded with 2000 or so of that on the pin. All tires are at 80 psi.

brickman 03-07-2019 07:45 AM

X2 and how is the weight distribution in the trailer? Same roads, time of year, wind conditions? Are your tires inflated properly, is the trailer suspension in good condition, any spring /suspension parts broken, or worn out? Short box or long box trucks, is the hitch point in the same place over the axles in both trucks? Did the previous truck have air bags?

brickman 03-07-2019 07:49 AM

Sorry missed the post

Wotf8 03-07-2019 08:09 AM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...3d448d451e.jpg
The trailer is level to a tad high at the front, very close to level. All the heavy stuff is middle to upfront. Trailer is in perfect shape. The ram had the five link rear suspension with coil springs. I will say it was a stiffer ride.

hlozano 03-07-2019 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Wotf8 (Post 18524928)
We just pulled our fifthwheel trailer for the first time with our new f250 crewcab, (regular tow package) and it wiggles or moves around more than I expected. It requires a fair bit of steering corrections and not sure if this is normal or is it the michilen tires or? My previous pickup was a 2014 Ram 2500 and it drove very straight, sometimes if the road was perfect you could forget there was a trailer back there. Now it had the coil link rear suspension with a sway bar, maybe that kept things tighter. I am not saying this truck is bad, just not quite as good as I think it can be.

Originally Posted by Wotf8 (Post 18524990)
It is a 39.5' heartland, weighs 12000 loaded with 2000 or so of that on the pin. All tires are at 80 psi.

What is the GVWR of your truck F250? It looks like you have the 6.7 diesel. Also, what's the payload capacity of your truck? It will be on the yellow sticker inside the drivers door identified as "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed".
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...91e86cdccf.jpg

You could be close to your payload capacity if not over with that combination. The front tires shouldn't be at 80PSI. My 2018 F350 XLT CC 6.7 states 60PSI max for the front tires.

My Buddy has a 2017 F250 XLT CC 6.2 Gasser and pulls a Keystone Hideout 298BHDS fifth wheel. I believe his fifth wheel is 35'5", GVWR 11,500 with a hitch weight of 2300lbs when fully loaded. I believe his payload capacity is around 3100lbs. With the weight of his passengers/hitch/ gear, he still had roughly 100lbs of payload remaing and his F250 gasser pulls it perfectly.

Wotf8 03-07-2019 09:15 AM

I am 400 pounds over the max payload when full of fuel. When another pickup is passing you, once they get to the front bumper, I have to counter steer as the air pressure changes off the front of the truck. Things like that didn't bother the ram, but I never had new michilen tires, bf ko2's. The truck is brand new, 500 miles, so maybe it is in the tires, the new soft tread is making it squirm and I am correcting for that. Could be that simple.

hlozano 03-07-2019 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Wotf8 (Post 18525196)
I am 400 pounds over the max payload when full of fuel. When another pickup is passing you, once they get to the front bumper, I have to counter steer as the air pressure changes off the front of the truck. Things like that didn't bother the ram, but I never had new michilen tires, bf ko2's. The truck is brand new, 500 miles, so maybe it is in the tires, the new soft tread is making it squirm and I am correcting for that. Could be that simple.

It very well may be the tires. My 2018 F350 and my Buddy's 2017 F250 both have the Goodyear Adventures. We took a trip together last year to Myrtle Beach from Cincinnati, Ohio. He was new to the whole fifth wheel towing thing and was super impressed how rock solid his F250 pulls his fifth wheel. Have you checked the tire pressure on your Hearland?

hlozano 03-07-2019 10:02 AM

It very well may be the tires. My 2018 F350 and my Buddy's 2017 F250 both have the Goodyear Adventures. We took a trip together last year to Myrtle Beach from Cincinnati, Ohio. He was new to the whole fifth wheel towing thing and was super impressed how rock solid his F250 pulls his fifth wheel. Have you checked the tire pressure on your Heartland?

Wotf8 03-07-2019 10:29 AM

Trailer tires are at 80, Checked them before we left. And I always take the bypass around Cincinnati!

SecondChance 03-07-2019 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Wotf8 (Post 18524990)

Are you sure about those weights? Have you had the rig across the scale and done the math? 12,000 lbs. is extremely light for a 39.5' fifth wheel and 2,000 lbs. is light on the pin weight for a 12K gross. For example, my 36' "mid profile" fifth wheel is 13,980 loaded with 3,000 of that on the pin. Besides the tire advice above, I'd double-check and confirm your weight information. Most 39' fifth wheels are too much trailer for a 3/4-ton truck.

Rob

Wotf8 03-07-2019 11:43 AM

Yes, it is an extreme light model, that is all it weighs, it is at just under 20 000 gross combined. (truck and trailer)

Wotf8 03-07-2019 11:59 AM

Maybe 80 is too much in the truck tires also and is making it worse. I could try that, they are rated for 3750 pounds each at 80 psi, so that is 7500 pounds, almost the entire weight of the truck with just two tires. The front weighs 4750 with me in it, so I could easily run 65 psi.

avf100 03-07-2019 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Wotf8 (Post 18525643)
Maybe 80 is too much in the truck tires also and is making it worse. I could try that, they are rated for 3750 pounds each at 80 psi, so that is 7500 pounds, almost the entire weight of the truck with just two tires. The front weighs 4750 with me in it, so I could easily run 65 psi.

​​​​​​​I'd leave the rears at 80 and run the frts at 65.

Wotf8 03-07-2019 01:03 PM

That's what I was thinking.

superrangerman2002 03-07-2019 02:34 PM

What type of hitch are you using?

Also could you define moving around? More like when and how?

Wotf8 03-07-2019 04:37 PM

It is a curt hitch on rails. It "meanders", best I can describe it. Have to make small corrections to keep it in a lane. Which is normal right, but I am comparing it to the ram I had and it drove "straighter", with no trailer they both drive fine, the Ford does have a smoother ride overall. Also, like I mentioned above, when someone is passing you the air pressure change around the truck makes you have to correct the steering enough, like say driving over uneven pavement with extra wide tires, if you get what I am saying. Just more than I am use too. I really think it is in the tires. That is what makes the most sense to me.

HRTKD 03-07-2019 05:04 PM

If you had a travel trailer I would say that you have lost too much weight from the front axle. From your picture it looks fairly level so I wouldn't expect weight loss from the front axle, but looks can be deceiving. A trip to the scale is in order.

The high PSI on your front tires could be part of the problem. Even on my F-350 the fronts are set to 60, not 80. Only the rear tires go to 80.

scraprat 03-07-2019 05:06 PM

Sounds like wagging the tail. More trailer than truck but your previous Ram handled it fine. Wierd.

eddienelson 03-07-2019 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Wotf8 (Post 18526063)
It is a curt hitch on rails. It "meanders", best I can describe it. Have to make small corrections to keep it in a lane. Which is normal right, but I am comparing it to the ram I had and it drove "straighter", with no trailer they both drive fine, the Ford does have a smoother ride overall. Also, like I mentioned above, when someone is passing you the air pressure change around the truck makes you have to correct the steering enough, like say driving over uneven pavement with extra wide tires, if you get what I am saying. Just more than I am use too. I really think it is in the tires. That is what makes the most sense to me.

I think it’s the truck suspension. The newer Fords are trying to get the rides as comfortable as possible that they are getting softer in the rear. The old school trucks road like a log truck unless you had some weight on the rear. But some $300 air bags and be done. It will firm up your load when pulling and won’t hurt the ride quality when unloaded.

Wotf8 03-07-2019 06:53 PM

I did weigh it, front axle is 600 pounds less than the rear.

hlozano 03-07-2019 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Wotf8 (Post 18526063)
It is a curt hitch on rails

When you say Curt hitch on rails, are you referring to a slider? If so, do you have the hitch in the forward position?

Wotf8 03-07-2019 08:13 PM

Not a slider.

'65Ford 03-07-2019 09:35 PM

I kinda doubt it's the truck's suspension unless there is a defect...possible but not probable.

Could be tire related. We have a 2wd and I run aggressive tires on the back. I had a set that had soft tread that resulted in a scary ride...camper pushed back of truck side to side.

Could be the road. Roads grooved from heavy truck traffic will make a fiver sway.

Could be gusty wind.

Could be a whacky weight imbalance on the camper though that generally is more of a travel trailer concern.

With the exception of the soft tread tires, deep grooved road, and gusty (50 mph+) wind scenarios, our 10,000 lb fiver is steady and comfortable to tow with either our 2002 or our 1965 3/4 ton pickups. Believe it or not, the '65 pulls it nicely at interstate speeds which makes me think you have a definite mystery.

superrangerman2002 03-07-2019 09:51 PM

Tail wagging from a fiver... not likely unless high cross winds or really low pin weight. Low pin weight causes this not high.

Pin weight...not anything out of ordinary for a 250...under axel limit.

Slight pull from passing semi trucks is normal cars not so much.

Are you towing with the tanks full of water?

How’s the truck drive with similar weight in the back, but no trailer? How about empty? Does it pull on its own?

Hows the wear on your front drive tires? Are you seeing feathering and or cupping?

7591250sd 03-08-2019 05:55 AM

I have the Goodyear 18" E rated wranglers, and my towing is rock solid, no matter what PSI, even double towing I'd suspect the tires..

scraprat 03-08-2019 07:30 AM

OP, are your trailer axles straight (any odd wear on trailer tires). That could cause slight sway and transferring to the tow vehicle. Just a thought.

Wotf8 03-08-2019 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by superrangerman2002 (Post 18526628)
Tail wagging from a fiver... not likely unless high cross winds or really low pin weight. Low pin weight causes this not high.

Pin weight...not anything out of ordinary for a 250...under axel limit.

Slight pull from passing semi trucks is normal cars not so much.

Are you towing with the tanks full of water?

How’s the truck drive with similar weight in the back, but no trailer? How about empty? Does it pull on its own?

Hows the wear on your front drive tires? Are you seeing feathering and or cupping?

The truck is brand new, as in I only drove it about 200 miles before hooking the trailer on. So I haven't done anything else with it. Wasn't even planning on buying a ford, but the had rust starting on the cab floor of the ram, so I figured now was the best time to trade it off.
The tanks were completely empty and the truck and trailer tires look perfect. I am going to try 60 or 65 in the fronts and see what that is like for the way home. To me it sounds backwards to think less pressure is going to improve things, but have to try the simple easy stuff first.

Clubwagon 03-08-2019 08:51 AM

My bet is its the tires. Michelins tend to squirm anyway and the pressure is probably too high. My truck came with 18" Wranglers and the door tag says 65 psi/rear and 60 psi/front. That's where I run mine (F250, CCSB, 6.7) when towing and its the model of comfort and stability. I bumper pull about 10K.

Wotf8 03-08-2019 09:54 AM

My plan was to run these til next winter, then install bf ko2 35 x 12.50's for the winter. I am going to drop the pressures and see what the drive home is like, that is a week out.

crewzer 03-08-2019 10:24 AM

Details posted above suggest your F250 Lariat CCSB 4x4 6.7 is fitted with 20” wheels and corresponding tires. If so, it’s likely that your truck is not fitted with the optional camper package (no rear stabilizer bar or aux rear spring leaf).

The tires may be rated for 7500 lbs. combined, but the rear spring pair (three leaves per side?) is rated for 6340 lbs. combined. The rear suspension might be a bit on the soft side.

Separately, is the trailer’s pin weight over or just ahead of the rear axle centerline? Just checking...

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Clubwagon 03-08-2019 11:08 AM

I am 400 pounds over the max payload when full of fuel. When another pickup is passing you, once they get to the front bumper, I have to counter steer as the air pressure changes off the front of the truck. Things like that didn't bother the ram, but I never had new michilen tires, bf ko2's.

I think you have cited your problems here. 1) you are over the max payload. 2) the front end gets pushed around by another truck's bow-wave.

I know the front tires being at 80 psi will make them much more sensitive to the bow-wave, especially if you consider the excessive load on the rear tires.

Wotf8 03-08-2019 11:32 AM

The load shouldn't be excessive for the tires as if it were a 350 srw it would of come with the same tires. And I think it should work fine because yes I am at the max payload, but still well under the max trailer weight. It should work perfect even at max payload and max trailer weight, there is no way they made it work barely good enough at the maxes, Ford has been building trucks for way too long.

crewzer 03-08-2019 11:53 AM

The same tires may be available on the F350, but it also comes with higher rated springs (up to 7230 lbs. per pair with five leaves each).

Speaking of payload, what is your truck’s actual as-built payload spec? Check the load label on the driver side B pillar. Note that payload includes the weight of driver, passengers,and other "stuff", and not just cargo and trailer pin weight.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

HRTKD 03-08-2019 11:55 AM

Over max payload is over max payload and you can't cite the max trailer weight and think everything should be happy. That's not how it works.

Ford should put a footnote in their max towing capacity numbers that says, "Yes, the truck can handle the max capacity, but the drive is really, really going to suck."

Wotf8 03-08-2019 06:17 PM

I guess I am just comparing it to my old truck, I was more over the payload on it and it drove perfectly.

Wotf8 03-08-2019 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by SDcrewzer (Post 18527444)
Details posted above suggest your F250 Lariat CCSB 4x4 6.7 is fitted with 20” wheels and corresponding tires. If so, it’s likely that your truck is not fitted with the optional camper package (no rear stabilizer bar or aux rear spring leaf).

The tires may be rated for 7500 lbs. combined, but the rear spring pair (three leaves per side?) is rated for 6340 lbs. combined. The rear suspension might be a bit on the soft side.

Separately, is the trailer’s pin weight over or just ahead of the rear axle centerline? Just checking...

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

It is just ahead, not by much and it doesn't add hardly any weight to the front axle, just like my ram, but the ram did have a sway bar. I really don't think that is the problem, but like I said early, I'll find out in a week with lower tire pressure.

Slowpoke Slim 03-08-2019 07:50 PM

Are you really at 12K trailer gross weight, and only 2000 lbs on the pin? That is your actual certified scale weight? Not a "guesstimate"?

That just sounds way too light on the pin weight to me.

And a 2000 lb pin weight puts you 400 pounds over your truck's weight rating?