Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   Heater/AC part (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1574138-heater-ac-part.html)

Christopher Workman 02-27-2019 09:51 PM

Heater/AC part

Does anyplace ,online or brick & mortar, sell the cables that control the heater and air conditioning? Mine are stuck in place and won't work.
Do the 87-90 F-Series use the cables also, because there are about 20 of them at the junkyard? I could get some from my friends junkyard, but I'll have to get them out of a truck there myself.

My truck is a 1986 F250 4.9l Straight 6.

FuzzFace2 02-28-2019 02:12 AM

You are saying " cables for heater & AC".
We need a little more information. Factory AC only has 1 cable for temperature control.
So does the truck have AC or not and if so is it factory AC?
Are the AC controls in the same panel as the heat controls or some place else?
Also depending on year will depend on how the cables hook up as they change thru the years.
Dave - - - -

Franklin2 02-28-2019 05:56 AM

Usually a little penetrating oil and messing with it will free it up. That seems like a lot of aggravation till you think about laying in a mouse infested truck in the junkyard trying to get another that may or may not work.

If the ends break off, the cables are usually long enough where you can peel back the sheath, unwind the spring around it, re-bend the end and put it back in service.

P.S. You could even go a lawnmower place and get a throttle cable for a lawnmower. Cut it to length, unwind the spring and cut it off, bend the ends and use it.

Olds64 02-28-2019 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Franklin2 (Post 18510320)
P.S. You could even go a lawnmower place and get a throttle cable for a lawnmower. Cut it to length, unwind the spring and cut it off, bend the ends and use it.

x2

You can get generic cables from the auto parts store too. Check it out! :eek:

NumberDummy 02-28-2019 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Christopher Workman (Post 18510083)
Does anyplace, online or brick & mortar, sell the cables that control the heater and air conditioning?

Mine are stuck in place and won't work. 1986 F250 4.9L

Pic: Factory installed integral A/C is combined with the heater. The A/C controls are in the same panel as the heater controls.

With factory A/C: The only cable is 19988 > E4TZ-19988-A .. A/C Temperature Control Cable = 1984/89 F150/350 & Bronco.

It's obsolete, no longer available from Ford. Several months ago, a member was looking for it, I found only one NOS and he bought it.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...6a10c5c8a4.jpg

jackietreehorn 03-01-2019 10:54 AM

I bought the last one in the world with Mr. NumberDummy's help:D. The problem isn't the cable so much as the sheath mounting--would be difficult to fab unless you have a 3D-printer or mill or something. Be very careful with your original cable and do not break it like I did to mine.

I think 84-86 are unique. I might be able to pull one from the 84 in the junkyard this weekend if you could reimburse me.

NumberDummy 03-02-2019 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by jackietreehorn (Post 18513100)
I bought the last one in the world with Mr. NumberDummy's help:D. The problem isn't the cable so much as the sheath mounting--would be difficult to fab unless you have a 3D-printer or mill or something.

Be very careful with your original cable and do not break it like I did to mine.

I think 84-86 are unique. :-huh

Applications: 1984/89 F150/350 & Bronco .. See E4TZ-19988-A in pic:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...0a44c1c512.jpg

vroma 05-05-2019 10:13 AM

Other than the control unit, where do the cables connect to?
The A/C cable (lower of the two) on mine is missing, and other than the two parts diagrams NumberDummy uploaded, are there any other diagrams or sources that show where outside the cab these cables connect?

Good idea with generic cable.

jackietreehorn 05-05-2019 11:39 AM

Cable connects to heater box under passenger dash. I think you need to remove dash pad or glove box insert to reach it.

vroma 05-05-2019 11:52 AM

That’s for both? The top cable (temperature lever on the control unit) is intact and works, to open/close the door that regulates temp.

But it where does the other cable connect to? I haven't disassembled the entire heater/air plenum chamber assembly so I can’t tell from the outside. I would like to be sure before attempting surgery.

NumberDummy 05-05-2019 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by vroma (Post 18636915)
That’s for both? The top cable (temperature lever on the control unit) is intact and works, to open/close the door that regulates temp.

But it where does the other cable connect to? I haven't disassembled the entire heater/air plenum chamber assembly so I can’t tell from the outside. I would like to be sure before attempting surgery.

E4TZ-19988-A is a double cable. Notice in the pic (post #5) there are two arrows emanating from 19988 pointing to two cables.

Franklin2 05-05-2019 07:05 PM

Here's a picture showing the one cable used in a 1986 truck with facotry A/C and heat. It works the temperature blend door. Everything else is vacuum operated.

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uplo...37760_orig.jpg

vroma 05-05-2019 08:19 PM

Ah, so maybe mine is not ‘missing’ if it’s all vac controlled (thanks, Dave). But as NumberDummy pointed out (thanks, Bill), the 19988 part number points to an upper and a lower cable, which suggests there should be two, or one cable with a forked end? My cable is only connected to the temp blend door (as the vac diagram states) but there is no other loose end to the cable. I checked the 80/89 parts catalog and the quantity of that cable is “1”, which supports what ND wrote, the vac diagram supports why one cable might be missing, but the parts catalog illustration is contradictory and what threw me off.

The truck is inoperable at the moment otherwise I’d fire it up and see what works, but it looks like I was looking for a solution to a problem that didn’t exist.

Thanks for clearing it up.

54321toz 11-27-2020 05:50 PM

Does anyone have any tips on removing the lever assembly from the dash?? Mine is broken and it's time for a wrecking yard replacement.. There seems to be a metal dash brace hovering over the top of the control assembly.. I'm guessing this needs removing to gain access to the control??

jackietreehorn 11-27-2020 09:06 PM

Might have to come up from below. Its been a few years...Do you have some pics that could jog my memory?