Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   Bench seat springs / Wood (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1574077-bench-seat-springs-wood.html)

martinkik 02-27-2019 01:40 PM

Bench seat springs / Wood

Hey guys,

At the moment, I stripped my bench seat backrest to the bare frame, because my upholstery was in terrible state.
Looking at it, I thought it might be possible to use a wooden backplate ( instead of the springs ) and glue some foam on it, and upholster it.

Does anybody have experience with this ? Or will I dearly miss the springs ??

Thanks guys,
Martin

Coastal68 02-27-2019 02:05 PM

What are you trying to accomplish? A stiffer seat? Are you trying to save time? Money?

martinkik 02-27-2019 02:16 PM

Hi Coastal,
In the first place a stiffer seat. And, as replacement parts are hard to come by in the Netherlands, a good and cheaper solution.

Thanks,
Martin

Coastal68 02-27-2019 02:41 PM

I understand. I have had a similar idea. My F-250 seat is too bouncy.

With the right skills I think your idea is certainly do-able. Part of your challenge will be finding and buying the right kind of foam. There is a whole array of stiffness and quality to choose from and the various foams can be combined to achieve the desired effect. I feel sure someone who has done something similar will chime in any minute.

Also, if you can find a late 90s Ford pickup seat in the Netherlands, that might be a good option as it is a much stiffer seat and it will bolt in to your truck.

martinkik 02-27-2019 03:12 PM

We are locally blessed with a good upholsterer in the area, whom are selling and advising on materials such as foams etc., so I'll pay them a visit. Also, I'll check for a late '90's bench, if for sale.

If anybody else wants to share experiences, please feel free !

Thanks Coastal !

hivoltj 02-27-2019 03:37 PM

There is a build thread in this section where a user built a metal seat pan and used modern foam. It was a 4bt Cummins swap build... f100today I believe was the builder.

GaryKip 02-28-2019 03:43 AM

"HioSilver" also rebuilt his bench seat.You can look up his thread.
I found it. "HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build" pg75

martinkik 03-01-2019 12:30 AM

OK great ! I'll go through these threads and find out !

MIKES 68 F100 03-01-2019 02:49 PM

I reupholstered my seat my self .
I replaced the factory nasty old foam with High density foam 2" thick . It worked out great made the seat much firmer and more comfortable . just be careful to much foam thickness and you will be kissing the steering 24/7
Pictures in my link below

martinkik 03-04-2019 09:56 AM

Hey Mike,
Thanks for sharing the pic's, you did a great job !
But, I was wondering if anybody deleted the seat-springs and used a wooden/steel insert, to achieve a more firm seat/backrest. And to stop bouncing around in the cab :-)
Thanks !
Martin

MIKES 68 F100 03-04-2019 10:00 AM

Thanks
Personally I think removing the springs and replacing with wood would make it to stiff, plus over time the wood would crack and break.

wauto 03-04-2019 06:40 PM

School bus seats are made out of plywood and foam.

JEFFFAFA 03-14-2019 03:15 PM

Talk to your upholsterer and see if he can custom form some foam and material to mimic bucket seats for the bench. That would look awesome IMHO. Plus adding seat belts with shoulder belts would help keep you in place.