Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   Carburetor Setups? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1573237-carburetor-setups.html)

Mitchapalooza85 02-20-2019 07:27 AM

Carburetor Setups?

Those running 302, What Aftermarket 4-barrel carbs you all running? Trying to figure my options with the Ford Kickdown.
I'm about to get my 86 f150 back & it'll need a new Carb & maybe distributor as well.
I was running a Quick-fuel 750CFM which was way too much carb for the motor, also failed mainly due to the floats sticking which caused flooding the motor & fouling the plugs to the point my oil was getting milky, not good.
I ran the Edelbrock 1406 first but it seemed that the truck gasped for more air/fuel with that carb (Single fuel inlet). had the Jet adjustments wide open.
I'm running larger Intake manifold, 202 heads, Ford X303 Cam.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...c7c0fa794a.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...e22ab9ed48.jpg

Franklin2 02-20-2019 08:12 AM

If the 750 was a vacuum secondary carb, it should work fine on that engine, especially since it's hopped up a little bit. Don't blame the carb for flooding the engine out, that is a common problem with a old truck and a rusty old fuel tank. It can also happen after a vehicle is first put on the road from construction debris in the fuel system like little chunks of rubber from fuel hoses and such.

I always run Holley 1850 600 cfm carbs. But my engines are stock. Why? Because they run right out of the box with no re-jetting, no hick-ups, etc. And I am familiar with them and how to work on them.

Mitchapalooza85 02-20-2019 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Franklin2 (Post 18494000)
If the 750 was a vacuum secondary carb, it should work fine on that engine, especially since it's hopped up a little bit. Don't blame the carb for flooding the engine out, that is a common problem with a old truck and a rusty old fuel tank. It can also happen after a vehicle is first put on the road from construction debris in the fuel system like little chunks of rubber from fuel hoses and such.

I always run Holley 1850 600 cfm carbs. But my engines are stock. Why? Because they run right out of the box with no re-jetting, no hick-ups, etc. And I am familiar with them and how to work on them.

It was a Vacuum secondary, the floats kept sticking on it. I remember taking the Air filter off the carb & just rocked the truck from side to side & I can see fuel just dumping right into the manifold (Truck off). I think it was just a bad carb. It ran strong at times & others a ran bad (Flooded motor). I remember taking a plug out, pulled the power off the Distributor, turned the truck over & a huge splash of fuel spit out the motor. I'd like to find a 600 CFM dual fuel inlet but Having trouble locating one.

Franklin2 02-20-2019 08:39 AM

I bet if you took that carb apart and inspected the bottom of the bowls, you would find little rust flecks or some sort of debris down in there. I took a quick look at the carb, it is a Holley. The fuel levels are externally adjustable.. You can pull the float needle assembly out with the carb on the engine, and check it to see if it has something stuck in there. You also have to be careful with fuel pressure, a little too much will make the fuel levels high, you can adjust for this. Way too much will blow the needles open with no control over the fuel.

I like those types of carbs. Like I said I know all about them and like most people, I tend to like and stick with what I know.

Rusty_S 02-20-2019 11:16 PM

Havent installed it yet but I have a Summit 600 CFM 4V with vacuum secondaries to run on my '82. From the reading I did, these carbs are built for summit by Holley based off the old Ford 4100 4V carbs.

I got this one mainly because it was vacuum secondary as well as it had the ford kick down linkage already compared to edelbrock that required me to purchase an adapter that would lean the kick down out above the valve cover.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...d52dd4a902.png

Mitchapalooza85 02-21-2019 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rusty_S (Post 18495572)
Havent installed it yet but I have a Summit 600 CFM 4V with vacuum secondaries to run on my '82. From the reading I did, these carbs are built for summit by Holley based off the old Ford 4100 4V carbs.

I got this one mainly because it was vacuum secondary as well as it had the ford kick down linkage already compared to edelbrock that required me to purchase an adapter that would lean the kick down out above the valve cover.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...d52dd4a902.png

Thanks for the Feedback! A
After reading multiple reviews on this carb it sounds like a great value for the price! I think I'll be looking into this as my next Purchase.

Olds64 02-21-2019 12:28 PM

I know I caught this thread late but I have the 750 cfm Summit carb on my 71 Oldsmobile. It isn't worth the money you save. I wish I had got an Edelbrock or Holley carb instead. The Summit carb always needs tinkering (I've already put a kit in it). I've mentioned this on our site in other threads.

Rusty_S 02-21-2019 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64 (Post 18496529)
I know I caught this thread late but I have the 750 cfm Summit carb on my 71 Oldsmobile. It isn't worth the money you save. I wish I had got an Edelbrock or Holley carb instead. The Summit carb always needs tinkering (I've already put a kit in it). I've mentioned this on our site in other threads.

Have you sent the carb back to defect it out? cause from the reviews I read there were hardly any negative reviews on the summit carb. the few that were negative sent them in and got them fixed as they were defective.

Plus you cant get annular boosters in an edelbrock carb unless you are willing to pay close to $900. This summit carb comes with them and I haven't found a single holley that had annular boosters with a ford kick down.

Old Hickory 02-21-2019 01:43 PM

Rusty, a 4180 Motorcraft Holley has annular boosters in the primaries and has the Ford kick down.

I doubt you can a new one though.

Rusty_S 02-21-2019 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Old Hickory (Post 18496653)
Rusty, a 4180 Motorcraft Holley has annular boosters in the primaries and has the Ford kick down.

I doubt you can a new one though.

Correct, my thing is I wanted new and my choices was edelbrock for economy, holley for performance or summit for a middle ground. Edelbrock doesn't have a ford kick down it also doesn't have a vacuum secondary. Holley has a ford kick down and vacuum secondary but I have owned a holley before and you have to always adjust them. That left the Summit carb which I looked up everything I could about them and found that for the money this seemed to have the best of the best parts as well as the annular boosters and the lower price tag. I also picked up a holley quick change for the vacuum secondaries so I can fine tune my secondaries when I finally get the long block for my truck.

Franklin2 02-21-2019 06:52 PM

The edelbrock has secondaries that work just as good as the holley. I prefer the holley because I know more about them, but I know the edelbrock has a spring loaded air door on top of the secondaries. If you nail the throttle, the secondaries do fly open underneath the air door on top. The air door regulates the air and fuel going to the secondaries, allowing only the amount the engine can use. This is all fully adjustable. Just like the Holley, this design allows a lot of forgiveness for carb sizing.

Mitchapalooza85 02-22-2019 06:22 AM

A lot of useful info. I'm still learning the tricks on tuning Carbs being I grew up in fuel injection age so its new old technology for me. The key is actually finding old school mechanics that knew how to tweek these just right.

Olds64 02-22-2019 08:01 AM

I bought my Summit carb years ago. I imagine it is out of any warranty that might have come with it. Don't get me wrong, it isn't a hateful carburetor, but I know there are better ones out there. If you really want to save some money you might consider sourcing a used carb that just needs a rebuild. There's no better way to learn than to get hands-on experience.

FWIW, if you decide to buy the Summit carb here's a good book:

Finding info on the Holley 4010 is hard to come by. The Summit carb was based on the Holley 4010 which was in turn based on the Motorcraft 4100.

Mitchapalooza85 02-22-2019 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64 (Post 18497998)
I bought my Summit carb years ago. I imagine it is out of any warranty that might have come with it. Don't get me wrong, it isn't a hateful carburetor, but I know there are better ones out there. If you really want to save some money you might consider sourcing a used carb that just needs a rebuild. There's no better way to learn than to get hands-on experience.

FWIW, if you decide to buy the Summit carb here's a good book:

https://www.amazon.com/Holley-Carbur...rburetor+books

Finding info on the Holley 4010 is hard to come by. The Summit carb was based on the Holley 4010 which was in turn based on the Motorcraft 4100.

Awesome! Thank you for the link! Will pick that up as well. Maybe I'll rebuild my current 750 Quickfuel carb as my test dummy

Olds64 02-22-2019 08:47 AM

BTW, that's an AWESOME truck! I love the rims. :-jammin