Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Headlight Complaints Yea or Nay (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1572555-headlight-complaints-yea-or-nay.html)

blueglide 02-14-2019 08:22 AM

Headlight Complaints Yea or Nay

Well after 2 years and 23K miles I finally had something happen that I was curious if others had had similar experiences. Last night had to run into town and get propane tank filled for fifth wheel. Get propane and return same way I came. Exit highway to off ramp heading back to RV park and stop at stop sign before turning on road back to RV park. Two or three cars in front of me at stop sign, we all turn same direction. I'm following car in front of me (older Lincoln Continental) back about 50 yards...no tailgating....and we drive approx. 1/2 mile to RV park entrance. Park is gated with small guard shack and everybody must stop and be waved thru. Car in front of me stops, I stop behind him, and old guy exits his car and starts walking back towards my truck (2017 F450 stock height/tires/no lift, etc). I'm like what the heck?!?! Old guy tells me to roll down window and starts yelling about why do I have all my damn lights on so bright?!?! :-roll They are blinding him...blah...blah...blah. :-blah Now the guy wasn't nice about any of it but I wasn't intimidated by him so I told him my lights were not on Hi beams and he was the first person to complain in over two years. He's still griping but realizes he just might be a horses derriere at this point so I tell him to get back in his car and get out of my way. He goes back to his car still muttering and enters RV park. I follow and go to my campsite.
Now this poll isn't about should I have decked the old guy or pulled my gun on him or exited truck for better tactical advantage etc. :-X01 I haven't touched my headlight adjustment since I bought the truck. Truck isn't taller or shorter than the day it came from the factory. I haven't had one vehicle flash its lights at me or had anybody complain about the lights. Whats been your experience with these trucks? The poll questions probably suck but you get the idea :)

Poncho450 02-14-2019 08:27 AM

His car is the wrong height in comparison to your headlight height. Tell him sorry about his bad luck.
I replaced my halogens with LED over a year ago. Stock height. No lift, no level but tires slightly taller than stockers. I get flashed on occasion but not very often. And sometimes I wonder if that's simply because people see 4 headlights shining at them, even on low beam.

PentaPop 02-14-2019 08:32 AM

Seems like most newer headlights are great for the driver, not so much for oncoming traffic. Which headlights does your truck have, old school or LED?

blueglide 02-14-2019 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by PentaPop (Post 18481903)
Seems like most newer headlights are great for the driver, not so much for oncoming traffic. Which headlights does your truck have, old school or LED?

Old school

honda250xtitan 02-14-2019 08:40 AM

if it's a small car it's gonna be bright for them. there's no way around it, regardless of halogen style or the upgraded LED. Same is true for projector headlights, if you're under the cutoff line it's gonna be a bad time for your eyes.

PentaPop 02-14-2019 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by blueglide (Post 18481906)
Old school

Mine too. No complaints or flashes but I’m rarely out after dark. You know, zombies and such.

When I do drive in the dark, I frequently cuss oncoming drivers even though I know their lights are on low. LED’s are just too bright for my eyes. Seems like mostly the aftermarket.

Tricon 02-14-2019 11:09 AM

Screw em, you're legal, he's driving a go kart, he can pound sand.

Beast2.0 02-14-2019 11:20 AM

The old guy is Old School! I have occasionally been flashed by oncoming drivers I think because they see 4 lights on and assume that I have high beams on, up until I flash my high beams at them. Then they turn theirs down!!.

stonesg 02-14-2019 01:00 PM

If he's Olde, older eyes have a problem with glare and he may just not realize it....

Plus there's the "new" factor of the newer halogens don't "look" like the older incandescent sealed beams and some people perceive the blue(er) color as being brighter even though if it's an original DOT approved headlamp, it's probably within specs. (Unless you've installed a higher candlepower bulb).

TX Crawler 02-14-2019 01:24 PM

I used to drive a jeep on 38's. I got used to pulling up to stop lights and turning my lights off -- anything other than a pickup and I would shine right into to back window...
I'm cognizant now, if I pull up to a car I usually reach down and switch my lights off. For reference, I've got the led package.

blueglide 02-14-2019 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by TX Crawler (Post 18482382)
I'm cognizant now, if I pull up to a car I usually reach down and switch my lights off. For reference, I've got the led package.

That's a nice gesture on your part! :-X22 I'm afraid if somebody pulled up behind me and then killed their lights I'd be going to DEFCON 3 wondering if I was about to get confronted. :eek:

​​​​​​

marobrown 02-14-2019 01:40 PM

My halogen F250 headlights we aimed high from factory, lowered them about 2 full turns on the adjustment(if I remember right) Have not been flashed since. I imagine the plow prep raised the front since I have seen a few without the package that have more of a rake to them. Ford may use a standard headlight setting that isn’t compensated for the higher front end on plow prep trucks.

wrvond 02-14-2019 02:03 PM

Driving our Lincoln MKS the other night and passed a 17+ SD with halogens going the other direction. I was amazed how bright they were.

TireFryer426 02-14-2019 02:11 PM

Mostly happens when I'm coming over a hill and they are in the low beam spread.
But to be fair, people flash me in the car, too. LED's are just friggin bright if the oncoming vehicle is on lower ground than you.

bridge 02-14-2019 02:11 PM

I'm completely stock and get flashed every once in a while. Seems to always be from sedans.