Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   2010 F250 6.8 v10? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1572249-2010-f250-6-8-v10.html)

rfcpatrick09 02-11-2019 11:10 AM

2010 F250 6.8 v10?

Hi, new to the forum and have been looking to buy a SD truck on a bit of limited budget.

Local CL has a f250 v10 6.8 with 158k miles on it for sale for $10k. I manage an auto repair shop so repair cost isn't too much of a problem where I can get things done relatively cheap.

Currently, my wife and I both have a newer Kia, but trying to sell my wife's so we can get a truck. It will mostly be my daily driver and I am well aware of gas cost so that's not what I am most worried about.

We do take a road trip once a year (Seattle to Denver - 1300 miles each way) and just need a durable truck that is not going to get me stranded. But also not going to need repair every week.

I am okay getting things fixed here and there few times a year but need a dependable truck and everyone is saying Ford is where it's at. I could buy a F-150 but I'd really like a 6.8 v10.

Any issues that I have to be worried about at this mileage? i see a lot of 2v 6.8 issues on this forum but not the newer 6.8.

Thank you

SnowPlowDriver 02-11-2019 11:41 AM

I looked at the posting. Nice truck,I wouldnt worry about the mileage,looks like it has been taken care of.Good price also.

Djosbun 02-11-2019 12:08 PM

My 2005 V10 just hit 178,000 and I drive 104 miles daily, Monday thru Friday. I bought her used but the engine still idles like it’s brand new and pulls beautifully. This past summer took her to Myrtle Beach and back (I’m in Ohio).

She does have a slight tick due to a broken exhaust manifold stud which I’ll be repairing once the weather warms up.

— Dave

rfcpatrick09 02-11-2019 12:58 PM

Thank you for all the replies! When I go have a look at the truck, are there any specific things I should look out for? I guess ticking is supposedly manifold stud noise that everyone mentions but any other things to look out for??

Bought a tundra about 4 years ago and sold it soon after when I realized that 4x4 wouldn't engage unless tried multiple times with the switch. Definitely not something I want to deal with!!

johnfist 02-11-2019 02:54 PM

Well, if you're all around new to Ford, then welcome, but beware: They're great trucks, especially considering many of competitor flaws, but they're not without problems.

2005+ Models have the newer 3V V10. It's a good engine, reliable if it's well taken care of. Misfires and air/fuel issues seem to be the most common Triton problems. Bigger issues seem to revolve around poor oil change habits or a lack of oil.
4WD in the Fords isn't always the best, the ESOF (electronic switch for 4WD) has a tendency to fail due to vacuum leaks or solenoid failures. Nice thing is, most of the time you can simply lock them manually on the wheel hub itself.

I was going to suggest getting an F150, however prices in your region are absurd. $15,000+ for a 120,000+ mile nearly 10yo truck? Hah! Anyway good luck, FWIW most of us love these trucks even with the small issues.

DieselBeast01 02-11-2019 04:22 PM

Sound like a good deal, buy it. There are a lot of V10s still on the road today. The 6.8, 5.4 engine family was a very good reliable engines. Some years of it had their flaws, but that is to be expected with any engine.

rfcpatrick09 02-11-2019 05:30 PM

Seems like everyone's for it! Really great to know. Definitely helps me with the decision. Yeah, Seattle area and Pacific Northwest in general seem to have one of the highest used car/truck prices there are. It's ridiculous that I have thought about buying a vehicle out of California then drive back since it's only half a day or so drive to bay area!

If I go ahead and buy one, I'd probably do all the plugs just for peace of mind and replace some of the suspension parts.

Thanks everyone!

Mickey Bitsko 02-13-2019 09:40 AM

Op, good choice..👍🏽

johnfist 02-13-2019 03:05 PM

If you buy it, be sure to swing over to https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/