Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   2012 Explorer No Crank No Start (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1572212-2012-explorer-no-crank-no-start.html)

Grizzlyadd 02-10-2019 10:14 PM

2012 Explorer No Crank No Start

I have a 2012 Explorer XLT 4WD. I had to replace the battery as it was leaking. I disconnected the battery, negative first, then positive and reconnected positive, then negative. Tried to start but no crank. I got some warnings on dash. Let the vehicle set for 8 hours, tried again and same. Is there a reset sequence or something I need to do to get it started? I tried to get to the fuse panel, but I cant fit into the floor panel to get to the fuses. After reading the owner manual everything indicates no blown fuses. Of course, I hope all the fuses are good, but not being able to get to them I am stuck. The car is in park. I do not have brake lights. Any other ideas?

shorod 02-10-2019 10:46 PM

Just to be sure we're talking the same language, by "tried to start but no crank" do you mean that when you turn the key to the start position, other than the bulb test in the instrument panel, nothing happens? The starter motor does not spin up or engage the engine to spin the engine? Do you hear a relay click or anything when turning the key to Start? If you try to start the engine with the headlights on, what happens with the headlights when the key is turned to Start? Do the headlights dim, blink slightly, or go out completely?

-Rod

Grizzlyadd 02-11-2019 09:32 AM

Rod

In answer to your questions the starter does not spin, there is no clicking, and I don't have the headlights on when trying to crank it. I turn the key on, the dash and console light up. The message center gives me an oil warning, transmission warning, traction warning, and one other warning message that I can't recall. These newer vehicles aren't like the old ones, no familiar clicks and whirs. It has electronic steering. I did do the brake interlock release to shift into neutral so I can have it flatbed towed if need be. The shifter locked into park again after shifting back to Park. I am going to attempt to gain access to the fuse panel and check the BOO/Keypad/Interlock fuse. Had I known about putting a charger on before disconnecting the battery, I probably wouldn't be doing all this research.

Addam

shorod 02-11-2019 02:24 PM

Thanks for the details. I wasn't specifically asking if you had the headlights on when trying to start but rather suggesting you turn them on when trying to start and see what happens to them. Do they have no obvious change (suggesting no extra current draw when trying to start), do they dim significantly (suggesting maybe the starter motor is trying to engage but is stalling for some reason) or do they go out completely (suggesting a bad connection at some substantial location)? That's a pretty quick test before getting out the wiring diagrams and multimeter to start probing around.

-Rod