Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Hauling 3,000lbs while towing 8,600lbs. Is a 6.7 justified? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1572165-hauling-3-000lbs-while-towing-8-600lbs-is-a-6-7-justified.html)

USMC1302Colt 02-10-2019 04:08 PM

Hauling 3,000lbs while towing 8,600lbs. Is a 6.7 justified?

Gentlemen,

I’m new to the forum. I am planning to purchase a tow rig in the near future. I currently tow an 8,600lb (loaded) travel trailer with a 2017 Expedition EL. My trailer is within Ford’s max tow rating for the Expedition (9,100lbs), but it’s performance is lacking. The 3.5l EcoBoost has plenty of power and is an impressive motor (I also had an EcoBoost F-150), but power isn’t the problem. The problem is tow vehicle weight, chassis, suspension and wheelbase.

In addition to pulling the trailer I also plan to haul a 4 seater side by side on a UTV deck on top of the truck. The side by side weighs 1,700lbs, the UTV deck weighs 500lbs and I figure an additional 700lbs for two adults, 3 kids and gear for a total of around 3,000lbs on the truck in addition to the 8,600lb bumper pull travel trailer.

While the power of diesels is appealing, the price is not. The Expedition is our family vehicle and I drive a half ton for my daily driver. This truck will be primarily a tow vehicle and won’t get many miles beyond that purpose. Right now we go on 4-6 camping trips a year. We live in the inland Northwest and every direction we go we drive over steep mountain passes. I estimate the annual mileage will only be 3,000 - 8,000.

With such low annual mileage and the fact that the truck will sit for weeks at a time, I have trouble rationalizing the cost of a diesel. I also worry about the effect of sitting for so long without good driving on a diesel.

Locally I can find 2011-14 gas F-250s and F-350s in the configuration I’m looking for with around 100,000 miles and less in the $18-25k range. Similar year and mileage diesels run $26-40k.

I work out of my pickup and used a 13’ F-250 SCLB 6.2 gas for a couple seasons. Other than the awful ride unloaded, I liked the truck and thought it had plenty of power. I have not driven any of the newer diesels. I have lurked on forums and read much about them. The diesel trucks in my budget are 2011-2013 Super Duties with 100-200k miles (I’m only considering 6.7s for the Ford diesels, but also Duramaxs and Cummins). While pre-emission diesels have the reputation for long term durability, it seems these newer diesel trucks are less desirable after they’re out of warranty.

I think a CCLB F-350 4x4 6.2 gas with a 4.30 rear end would be work if I can find one. Obviously, a CCLB F-350 4x4 6.7 diesel would do the work, but is it worth the cost and the risk?

Thoughts from those in the community?

Thanks in advance!

Heres a couple listings locally I’m considering.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

lynnmor 02-10-2019 04:28 PM

With hitch I came up with about 4,075 on the truck. You will be totally maxed out on payload with a F350, don't even consider a F250. I think you will be fine with either gas or diesel and you might not have a big difference in cost over the long run because of resale value and fuel mileage. I have the diesel and haven't wiped the smile off my face in all these years, the thing tows a travel trailer effortlessly. Since you are looking at well used, condition is the most important thing, there is plenty of abused trucks to sort thru.

Desert Don 02-10-2019 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by USMC1302Colt (Post 18474436)
Gentlemen,

I’m new to the forum. I am planning to purchase a tow rig in the near future. I currently tow an 8,600lb (loaded) travel trailer with a 2017 Expedition EL. My trailer is within Ford’s max tow rating for the Expedition (9,100lbs), but it’s performance is lacking. The 3.5l EcoBoost has plenty of power and is an impressive motor (I also had an EcoBoost F-150), but power isn’t the problem. The problem is tow vehicle weight, chassis, suspension and wheelbase.

In addition to pulling the trailer I also plan to haul a 4 seater side by side on a UTV deck on top of the truck. The side by side weighs 1,700lbs, the UTV deck weighs 500lbs and I figure an additional 700lbs for two adults, 3 kids and gear for a total of around 3,000lbs on the truck in addition to the 8,600lb bumper pull travel trailer.

While the power of diesels is appealing, the price is not. The Expedition is our family vehicle and I drive a half ton for my daily driver. This truck will be primarily a tow vehicle and won’t get many miles beyond that purpose. Right now we go on 4-6 camping trips a year. We live in the inland Northwest and every direction we go we drive over steep mountain passes. I estimate the annual mileage will only be 3,000 - 8,000.

With such low annual mileage and the fact that the truck will sit for weeks at a time, I have trouble rationalizing the cost of a diesel. I also worry about the effect of sitting for so long without good driving on a diesel.

Locally I can find 2011-14 gas F-250s and F-350s in the configuration I’m looking for with around 100,000 miles and less in the $18-25k range. Similar year and mileage diesels run $26-40k.

I work out of my pickup and used a 13’ F-250 SCLB 6.2 gas for a couple seasons. Other than the awful ride unloaded, I liked the truck and thought it had plenty of power. I have not driven any of the newer diesels. I have lurked on forums and read much about them. The diesel trucks in my budget are 2011-2013 Super Duties with 100-200k miles (I’m only considering 6.7s for the Ford diesels, but also Duramaxs and Cummins). While pre-emission diesels have the reputation for long term durability, it seems these newer diesel trucks are less desirable after they’re out of warranty.

I think a CCLB F-350 4x4 6.2 gas with a 4.30 rear end would be work if I can find one. Obviously, a CCLB F-350 4x4 6.7 diesel would do the work, but is it worth the cost and the risk?

Thoughts from those in the community?

Thanks in advance!

Heres a couple listings locally I’m considering.

Weight is not going to be your only issue with the configuration you described. The weight will be HIGH.....which equals high center of gravity and less stability...........go find an old V10 Dually in your price range........you will love me for it!

UP_There 02-10-2019 05:18 PM

If I were planning on putting a side by side up on a deck like that, AND towing a trailer at the same time, a dually would be a MUST. Stability will be a big issue if you choose single rear wheel, and I wouldn't consider that without adding airbags as well...

elee3 02-10-2019 06:46 PM

X2 on the airbags. They will make life much better with that much weight on the rear axle. If you think you’ll be happy with a gas burner, then don’t test drive a 6.7.

SanDiego56 02-10-2019 10:55 PM

I don’t have a repy to your post but just wanted to say that what you described is very through and those with more knowledge than I can offer some help.. I have an 11 f250 6.7 and luv how effortless it is to tow my 9k boat... it’s honestly difficult to not drive 90.. but I find a way to keep it under 65... mileage empty is 17 city 19 hwy.. tow about 14...

System 02-11-2019 06:46 AM

I had a very similar setup a while back. My 2009 F250 with a V10 towed a trailer of similar or higher weight. In/on my bed was a dual ATV rack weighing in at around 3k loaded with two full size quads. Towing experience was excellent. So, while I can't speak for the 6.2, I'm betting that the results will be similar. (Although the new 7.3 would be better...lol) While I'm not a big fan of airbags, I did have them on this setup.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...18cef572bb.jpg

Desert Don 02-11-2019 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Karl4Cat (Post 18475410)
I had a very similar setup a while back. My 2009 F250 with a V10 towed a trailer of similar or higher weight. In/on my bed was a dual ATV rack weighing in at around 3k loaded with two full size quads. Towing experience was excellent. So, while I can't speak for the 6.2, I'm betting that the results will be similar. (Although the new 7.3 would be better...lol) While I'm not a big fan of airbags, I did have them on this setup.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...18cef572bb.jpg

But Rodney, he is asking about a 4 place SXS, which will have to go over the cab because of length. So it will be way higher, 3 times the weight and the extra wind to deal with, along with the natural oscillations of a tow behind box. The reality of his SXS is going to be over 2000 lb rather than the 1700 lb “listed “ weight, along with all his gear and people I can see his actual combined cargo weight going welll over 4000 lb. All of these factors are going to multiply the inputs from the side winds and other enviromental things we have no control over. *CAN* this be done with an SRW..........????????? Maybe......... as long as we have a perfect world.

System 02-11-2019 07:34 AM

I was going by the 3k number he posted so more like the same than 3 times the weight Don. Mine was 3k between the quads and rack plus the trailer hitch weight so I was probably pushing 4k total. Yes, if it went over the cab, that would certainly push things higher on the center of gravity issue though.

SavageNFS 02-11-2019 08:25 AM

Both of the trucks you linked to will do the job for sure, but how well is in the eye of the driver. For someone looking to go bare minimum towing a short distance, I'll bet the answer is either will do fine. For longer distances, real world situations, wind, tires failing, semi trucks sucking you over, I'll bet the driver says, he is exhausted when he gets to his destination for white knuckling it the entire way. Would he let his mother/wife tow the same load? I don't understand the gas vs diesel dilemma. What you pay upfront, you always get at trade in or selling out right of the truck from the cost of buying selling a diesel. I get the smell, extra maintenance and noise issues with not wanting a diesel. If you don't like them, you don't like them. I know many gassers that pull loads just fine, they just do it getting 6-10 MPG where a diesel will get 10-13 mpg (basic number, just an average comparison). I have never heard anyone regret getting a diesel when they are on a 2 lane highway towing a load and they get behind someone going for a Sunday drive doing 50 mph in a 55mph and there is little room to pass.

I agree with Don on the dually too. I don't agree with the weight being a 3000lbs for a 4 person SxS with the deck/frame. That seems light. I think you will have a high load that is heavy. The DRW truck with bags are going to be so much more stable. That's a no brainer. V-10 would be great, but a diesel will be so much more confident towing on any grades. Just my thoughts. A third gen Cummins DRW is in your price range...just saying.

smoky_diesel 02-11-2019 11:12 AM

The SxS rack will raise CoG up very high, probably higher than a cab-over camper. A big aftermarket sway bar is absolutely necessary and will still be a chore to drive in the wind. While airbags effectively increase spring rate, they do not help much with sway/roll even plumbed separately. That is what a sway bar is for.

I haul a 2k+ camper and tow a 7k+ trailer. The 6.7 diesel is OK but more power would be nice in the mountains.

Most any 3/4 or 1 ton of whatever brand and fuel type will do what you want but may not be fun to drive fully loaded.
Older truck with hard/stiff suspension will handle load better. New trucks that ride nice won't.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...0&d=1528148374
A lift and big tires will help too:)

lynnmor 02-11-2019 12:39 PM

Hopefully the OP will have enough common sense to not install a lift kit or taller tires. Raising the center of gravity of a setup that is already way too high and reducing the effective gear ratio would not be a smart move. Unless he intends to tow at speeds that are too high, the 6.7 will have more than enough horsepower.

The Bone 02-11-2019 01:08 PM

Be careful when ordering a F350. They come in both 11,500 and 10,000 payload capacity In a SRW truck. Just so you know.

USMC1302Colt 02-11-2019 07:54 PM

Gents,

Here is the dealer listing on the Black F-350 with the 6.7. The dealer sent me a photo of the Weight ratings sticker in the door jamb, it has a GVWR of 11,200#. By Ford's own 2013 Super Duty brochure that puts the max pay load at 4,220# in this configuration (CCLB 4WD).

Used 2013 Ford F-350 in Wenatchee 1FT8W3BT8DEB31891

And the CarFax:

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...8W3BT8DEB31891

Thoughts?

Looks like it was a rental for the first 80k miles of it's life.

gsxr1300 02-12-2019 06:12 AM

What does the sticker on the door say?