Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   90 standard cab regulator coming off (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1572135-90-standard-cab-regulator-coming-off.html)

Odisvan 02-10-2019 12:12 PM

90 standard cab regulator coming off

so, previous owner had been into door, removing elec window motor, rigging himself a manual window with strap. I install new elec window motor, works, yet when window is only @ 4”-6” down, the nylon window comes out of glass window track bottom. It’s greased, nylon slider for regular is greased. New motor works great.
I look inside door and window track on bottom is only about 4-5” long.
Now, this is first elec window motor I’ve messed with. Am I somehow clocked wrong or is there supposed to be some mechanical stop at the end of the window roller track metal channel? Or is my glass so hung in old hardened felts and helping this thing rocks jump track? As of now, I guess I’m clocked wrong somehow?? Thanks for any and all suggestion?

Odisvan 02-10-2019 12:15 PM

Sorry, hard to describe. The nylon window squarish roller or slider pulls out the back end of metal window track bottom that roller is supposed to slide in.
both are well greased with fresh red lithium grease. Is there supposed to be retainer at back of metal track that prevents nylon slider from pulling out of window channel rear (towards bed).

Odisvan 02-11-2019 06:45 AM

I'm surprised, no one had this issue prior?

Scndsin 02-11-2019 07:11 AM

First impression is something is reversed or not bolted correctly or missing completely.

Do you (can you) watch it pop out with the door panel off?

I've got a door with the panel off right now to compare a pic to if you need.

If every thing is tight, it shouldn't come out.

Odisvan 02-11-2019 10:14 AM

Yep, have door panel off, window works great for about 4 inches, then roller wheel shoots straight out back of window roller channel track and is hanging into thin air running then, have to reverse back up and put roller wheel back into channel when height gets about right, then it'll go back up just great! Window roller channel at bottom of glass is only about 5 inches wide, pass side same way, I've never seen such short window glass channels. BUT, someone had been in BOTH doors before me, I know at least one replaced, because there was about 20 pounds of little glass shards left in one door bottom I spent couple hours cleaning out.

Scndsin 02-11-2019 01:08 PM

Something seems either backward or passenger side part on drivers side.

NumberDummy 02-11-2019 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Scndsin (Post 18476223)
Something seems either backward or passenger side part on drivers side.

Window channel that the glass is adhered to that the nylon window roller slids into, the roller itself are the same right and left.

I wonder if the roller is from something other than: 1975/96 F100/350; 1978/96 Bronco; 1988/97 F(Super Duty); 1997 F250 H/D & F350.

It's also the same as 1976/82 LTD, 1976/2010 Grand Marquis, 1983/2012 Crown Victoria. But there several others that look the same, but are not the same.

sticky58 02-11-2019 02:42 PM

make sure the regulater is bolted into the right holes in door,if changed,it could be lined up in the manual door holes,hopes this helps

Odisvan 02-11-2019 04:42 PM

It’s amazon. Once again the lure of cheap and good quality to my door bit me. $32. It does come down at differing angle than pass side, which is stock and functions but needed ball bearings for shot plastic balls. So, they sent me pass rather than driver. Ok. I’ll remove and put in pass side and buy my driver side local. Wish prior owner hadn’t thrown motor away, at least I’d had a good go by. The internet stuff is cheap if they send right parts and if they fit.
Funny thing, I did get all 3 bolts to line up, whereas amazon reviewers could only line up 2 of the 3 bolts that hold elec motor to regulator. About half amazon reviews said wrong side, others just complained holes not all lining up. I don’t enjoy the regulator r&r much. But, it is sure cheap and if somethings not right, I’ll know it rather than cover it up like some places in business. Oh well, bright side is, I’ll know more about elec windows when I’m done, and these old trucks are reasonable to fix up and tough as pig iron when you get ignored repairs fixed that prior owners let side. Or just common wear stuff no one replaced all over the truck.