Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fuel Injection, Carburetion & Fuel System (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum72/)
-   -   Flooding... Possible Carb Tuning Issue? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1571706-flooding-possible-carb-tuning-issue.html)

hooler1 02-19-2019 06:46 PM

Glad to hear you are are close to solving the problem. At OReilly auto parts the Dorman parts line has the HELP branded products they sell and usually you can find a universal choke stove repair kit. It will get you going in a pinch but it is not filtered on the line that runs from the exhaust manifold to the carb. If you could come up with some kind of filter to use with it, it would be much better. In one of the above post, Tedster gave you a link to Mike's Carburetor. Mike sells electric choke caps for your new carb, so you could do away with the heat stove completely if you desire. But really the original heat stove works quite well especially during the winter.

MWB323 02-25-2019 11:39 AM

I got the steel line for the choke re-connected, and it made a big difference. Haven't had the bogging down while cold issue at all since. Seems to have cut my warm-up time in half.

Only remaining issue is flooding while going up a steeper hill. I drove the truck for a 2-hour round trip on Friday, and for half of it I was towing a trailer. The only issue I had the whole time was this one hill on the highway. It doesn't seem to be related to being under load as much as driving at an angle (it performed better on a slight hill while towing than it did on a steeper hill without towing). So I'm pretty sure that's my float being set too high. I will be looking at that this week as soon as I can find time, and then I think that will resolve my remaining issue. But for the most part it's performing great again. Thanks again for all the suggestions and advice.

jst4fun78 04-24-2019 04:54 PM

1972 5.9 liter 360 problems

Any body still check this thread, need help bad with my engine. Runs really rough with your foot on the gas, but will not idle. I have checked compression, replace distributor, points, cap, rotor, wires, fuel filter/pump, carburetor and plugs. I have an exhaust leak, but that was there before it stopped running. I am stuck and have no clue where to go from here.

Any help/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank yo very much and have a great day.

MWB323 04-24-2019 05:31 PM

You may have better luck if you open a new thread, rather than replying to an old one.

What do you mean by "runs rough"? Is it backfiring? Smoking a lot (if so what color)? Can you smell gas? Or just very little power? Need more info to determine if it's spark, air or fuel that's causing the issue.

If spark, could still be ignition coil or ignition module. If fuel, could be rust in the tank or an issue with the fuel lines. And I'm assuming you've tried removing the air filter at some point in your testing.

Tedster9 04-24-2019 05:38 PM

Since it is a Points distributor start there, try a different condenser.