Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   Questions about VIN location and data plate (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1571662-questions-about-vin-location-and-data-plate.html)

phil64 02-06-2019 03:14 PM

Questions about VIN location and data plate

Hi all,
I've a little problem with the VIN location of the truck. The one on the pad at the bottom of the windshield is not readable because the notch isn't in front of the pad ! I can't explain why ? An uncorrect windshield replacement ?
So i need another VIN (except the one on the sticker, not legal for french registration), so where i can find one ? I read that on some truck there is one on the top of the right frame rail, near front wheel , correct for 1986 ?

Also i've found a "data plate", someone could decode it ? I recognized a partial VIN (end).
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...a66346bed3.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...5674d0ee49.jpg

Rembrant 02-06-2019 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by phil64 (Post 18465500)
Hi all,
I've a little problem with the VIN location of the truck. The one on the pad at the bottom of the windshield is not readable because the notch isn't in front of the pad ! I can't explain why ? An uncorrect windshield replacement ?

Yes, that is a windshield for a later model truck. The black banding hides the original VIN location. (You can just see the corner of the notch where it is located).

Do you still have the certification label on the cab when you open the driver's side door?

phil64 02-06-2019 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rembrant (Post 18465636)

Do you still have the certification label on the cab when you open the driver's side door?

Yes, but as i said it's not legit for french registrations, they must "see" an engraved number ! With a small mirror and a lamp i can see the VIN on the pad from inside the car but i'm not sure they will agree to make some contortions to look at the VIN !

Rembrant 02-06-2019 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by phil64 (Post 18465657)
Yes, but as i said it's not legit for french registrations, they must "see" an engraved number ! With a small mirror and a lamp i can see the VIN on the pad from inside the car but i'm not sure they will agree to make some contortions to look at the VIN !

I see. I guess you could buy and install the correct windshield...although that's an expensive way to get to see the VIN.

I don't think the tag you posted above has all of the VIN info on it. (Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong here)

By the way, I've seen TWO trucks latey with these windshields and VIN's that could not be read.

Franklin2 02-06-2019 05:01 PM

Do you have a good glass shop nearby? This is serious enough (a truck with no registration is just a lawn ornament) that I would get someone to pull the windshield out.

Fordzilla80 02-06-2019 08:29 PM

Your best option is to have a glass company source an 80-86 window from across the pond. The stamping on the chassis/frame that you mentioned is incomplete and does not contain the full vin. I've witnessed a few occasions where the digits stamped into the frame were incorrect, so that is not a reliable source of info.

BigBlue2 02-06-2019 09:27 PM

I have that same replacement windshield with the black strip. If I get real close to the windshield I can see the VIN. Maybe take a picture of it at that angle and see if you can make it out? Then you could perform the photo for them in person if it works.

BigBlue2 02-06-2019 09:42 PM

One other thing to check, if this vehicle was manufactured for import, check for a stamped metal tag in both door posts...could be on the passenger...er a right side.

NumberDummy 02-06-2019 11:13 PM

I've a little problem with the VIN location of the truck. The one on the pad at the bottom of the windshield is not readable because the notch isn't in front of the pad! I can't explain why? An uncorrect windshield replacement?

So i need another VIN (except the one on the sticker, not legal for french registration), so where i can find one ? I read that on some truck there is one on the top of the right frame rail, near front wheel , correct for 1986 ?

Also i've found a "data plate," someone could decode it? No. I recognized a partial VIN (end). :-huh Where?
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...5674d0ee49.jpg

Where was the truck sold new and when/where did you buy it? The above is a Buck Tag, used by assembly line workers to assure the correct parts are installed that match the build sheet.

Most of these codes cannot be decoded, but on trucks assembled and sold new in the US/Canada, there is a VIN on this tag, but I see no evidence of one.

1981 thru today US/Canada VIN's contain 17 digits, but trucks assembled/sold new elsewhere have VIN's that we cannot decode. This includes South Africa, Mexico, South America, Australia and New Zealand.

1986 F250 2WD 460 17 digit VIN example: 1FTFF25L3GUA12345

1FT = FoMoCo USA - Ford Truck - Complete Vehicle.

F = Class F - Hydraulic Brakes - 7001-8000 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating range.

F25 = F250 2WD Pickup.

L = 460 4V (7.5L)

3 = Check digit, FoMoCo use only.

G = 1986.

U = Louisville KY Assembly Plant.

A12345 = 1986 Numerical Sequence of Assembly, the trucks specific serial number.

btw: If you bought this truck in the US/Canada, its specific 17 digit VIN will be printed on the registration/title.

Buying a new windshield in the US and having it shipped "across the pond' will be very expensive. The windshield isn't that expensive, but the shipping is.

The windshield is glued to the body, so if attempting to remove it, it could crack.

kr98664 02-06-2019 11:13 PM

I've a little problem with the VIN location of the truck. The one on the pad at the bottom of the windshield is not readable because the notch isn't in front of the pad !

Is that black band baked into the glass, or is it on the surface more like paint?

If only on the surface, could you scrape away the offending area? You'd have to rig up some sort of a long thin scraper, such as a piece of utility knife blade on the end of a stick. But if you can scrape the area clear, it would be a lot cheaper than sourcing a correct windshield and having it installed.

phil64 02-07-2019 01:30 PM

Thanks to all for replies. Yes, i can see the VIN code with a mirror and light, hope that it'll be OK. The truck is not an import. Maybe i'll try to scrap the black band, it'll ugly after doing it but ..legal !
Thanks to NumberDummy for decipher !

there is a VIN on this tag, but I see no evidence of one.
The B68778 are the last digits of the VIN, 7B is paint

NumberDummy 02-07-2019 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by phil64 (Post 18467649)
Thanks to all for replies. Yes, i can see the VIN code with a mirror and light, hope that it'll be OK. The truck is not an import. :-huh

If the truck was not imported to France, that means a Ford dealer in France would have sold it new.

I wasn't aware that any Ford trucks sold new in the US/Canada were also sold new in "Festung Europa."

Some US military personal stationed at the Ramstein USAF base in Germany have American vehicles, but they either brought them with them or had them imported.

Meanwhile almost every week I read a post where someone in Europe is looking for Ford parts for the vehicle they bought in the US

I've been to the UK and Germany twice and once to Paris during the Y2K scare that nothing happened...except the return flight from de Gaulle to LAX was cancelled.

What did happen in Paris while we were there...a hurricane! The Louvre was closed while they mopped all the water that leaked in thru I. M. Pei's glass pyramids.

Cornices were blown down all over the city, many fell on cars. I spotted a nice Citroen DS21 Pallas with a 'cornice restyled roof.'

kr98664 02-07-2019 03:04 PM

Yes, i can see the VIN code with a mirror and light, hope that it'll be OK.

One more thought: Is this a "one-time" issue, i.e the inspector only needs to verify the vehicle matches the paperwork, and then your registration can be issued? After that, nobody would care if the VIN is visible. Or does the VIN need to be readable at all times, such as if being issued a parking ticket? I'm just wondering if verifying the VIN once with a mirror and flashlight is all you need.

phil64 02-07-2019 03:14 PM

Yes it's a one time issue ! So as you said if the inspector could see the VIN with a mirror no problem. But also some french legislation needs an "engraved number on a non removable part of the car". It's what i ask about frame number. Maybe they will agree with the windshield one ?
The truck is an US truck, sold in CA. My daughter bought it last summer in LA.

NumberDummy 02-07-2019 03:41 PM

The truck is not an import.

Originally Posted by phil64
The truck is a US truck, sold in CA. My daughter bought it last summer in LA

If your daughter bought it here in LA LA Land and now it's in France, it was imported.

If I bought a Delage in Paris, then had it shipped to LA LA Land, it would also be an import.