Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Rough ride. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1571437-rough-ride.html)

Celtictexan 02-04-2019 08:03 PM

Rough ride.

Does anyone run a set of 32 psi tires when not pulling or carrying a heavy load. Id really like to soften my ride a bit.

burnthelight88 02-04-2019 08:26 PM

Sounds like i'd be buying a car to drive. Save your back and the mileage rather than swap tires every time you don't want to haul something.

brian42 02-05-2019 09:36 AM

Trucks ride rough. Personally I would not go below an E-rated tire for my truck and I don't air down below 60 psi either.

If you want to soften the ride of your truck you can try some different shocks or always keep a few hundred pounds in the bed. I know you can buy a bladder for the bed to fill with water/sand for weight.

sunuvabug 02-05-2019 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Celtictexan (Post 18461481)
Does anyone run a set of 32 psi tires when not pulling or carrying a heavy load. Id really like to soften my ride a bit.

Not sure what you drive or where ... but it makes a difference. Both my dedicated winter (mountain snowflake severe duty rated) and my all / three season tires are E-rated. My tire shop suggested running both sets them at 50 lb. psi when unloaded or light loaded. This makes for a slightly softer, less jarring ride. In the winter, I put about 1,000 lb. of sand in the bed (in pails) for additional traction and I run the rear tires at 55 lbs. Truck runs very smooth in the winter with the additional weight.

Chuck's First Ford 02-05-2019 10:09 AM

my truck calls for 65 front and 80 rear...

I run 45 front and 40 rear running around town. empty..

but I have a Gas engine.. diesel needs more air up front.

Celtictexan 02-05-2019 12:48 PM

Thanks all.

Celtictexan 02-05-2019 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by brian42 (Post 18462536)
Trucks ride rough. Personally I would not go below an E-rated tire for my truck and I don't air down below 60 psi either.

If you want to soften the ride of your truck you can try some different shocks or always keep a few hundred pounds in the bed. I know you can buy a bladder for the bed to fill with water/sand for weight.

I do haul stuff quite a bit just nothing very heavy, except when the trailer is on and traveling. Its a 2016 super duty diesel.

edjunior 02-05-2019 05:43 PM

Yup...sounds like you got yourself a truck! It's gonna ride rough. It's what trucks do. Keep in mind that all the efforts to ease the ride will also reduce the mileage you get. There's always trade-offs.

burnthelight88 02-06-2019 08:07 AM

You could check out Sulastic shackles if they apply in your case, not sure exactly what your suspension setup is on something that new. I’m way back in ‘99 man.

beef tits 02-06-2019 09:44 AM

If you think your 2016 rides rough, take a spin in my 2000.

It’s a heavy truck, made for hauling heavy things. If you want a truck to drive empty and be comfortable in, look at the F150.

Colorado350 02-06-2019 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by beef tits (Post 18464742)
If you think your 2016 rides rough, take a spin in my 2000.

It’s a heavy truck, made for hauling heavy things. If you want a truck to drive empty and be comfortable in, look at the F150.

Ill call your 2000 and raise you a 99 F350 Dually empty...:-X04. I have a mouth piece hanging from the mirror for the rough parts of the interstate.

Celtictexan 02-06-2019 12:17 PM

Well there might be a bit more to my prob. I'd noticed I needed an alignment, the right front tire was wearing pretty bad on the outside edge, and had no idea why. I'd not been off road at all, and because of the rough ride I drive it pretty slow. I had also noticed it kind of wandered on the road, it was always risky to look off the road for more than a few seconds as constant small corrections were needed. Also twice now, hitting a bump on the interstate, especially in a curve would cause it to start a really violent and dangerous shaking / oscillation that would require heavy braking to get back under control. The first time it happened I thought for sure I'd had a blowout. There was also a constant slight vibration while driving. It only has 23000 miles, so I took it in yesterday and was told the vibration has been an issue. Also a few other little probs. A squealing rear brake, and a squeal related to wind hitting the front just right, that seems to come through the ac / heater system. Anyway I'm hoping maybe some of what they do might help the ride.

Colorado350 02-06-2019 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Celtictexan (Post 18465124)
Well there might be a bit more to my prob. I'd noticed I needed an alignment, the right front tire was wearing pretty bad on the outside edge, and had no idea why. I'd not been off road at all, and because of the rough ride I drive it pretty slow. I had also noticed it kind of wandered on the road, it was always risky to look off the road for more than a few seconds as constant small corrections were needed. Also twice now, hitting a bump on the interstate, especially in a curve would cause it to start a really violent and dangerous shaking / oscillation that would require heavy braking to get back under control. The first time it happened I thought for sure I'd had a blowout. There was also a constant slight vibration while driving. It only has 23000 miles, so I took it in yesterday and was told the vibration has been an issue. Also a few other little probs. A squealing rear brake, and a squeal related to wind hitting the front just right, that seems to come through the ac / heater system. Anyway I'm hoping maybe some of what they do might help the ride.

Google DEATH WOBBLE and search it on YouTube. It’s a combination of steering components that are worn out causing excessive play when combined with a sudden bump everything starts fighting the other …violently. Slowing down settles everything back down until the next bump. Check TRE, BJ’s, Draglink, pitman arm, gear box, CA’s bushings etc. Most of these parts require more than just looking at them...put the truck on jack stands, have a buddy turn the steering wheel SLOWLY while you look for excessive play.

Celtictexan 02-06-2019 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Colorado350 (Post 18465365)

Google DEATH WOBBLE and search it on YouTube. It’s a combination of steering components that are worn out causing excessive play when combined with a sudden bump everything starts fighting the other …violently. Slowing down settles everything back down until the next bump. Check TRE, BJ’s, Draglink, pitman arm, gear box, CA’s bushings etc. Most of these parts require more than just looking at them...put the truck on jack stands, have a buddy turn the steering wheel SLOWLY while you look for excessive play.

You nailed it. I just talked to the dealership. They are telling me the damper went bad, which took out one ball joint. The ball joint of course caused the misalignment. They are trying to argue a bit about charging me for the alignment. I cant see where I should have to pay, when the cause was failed parts. And as they told me yesterday it has been a known issue. They also said they need to put on new tires to do the alignment which I kind of doubt, as alignment usually comes off the wheel not the tire. I may be out of date knowledge wise on that. There are new tires on the back so they are going to rotate, to do the alignment. Anyway anyone with a 2016 might should keep this issue in mind.

Celtictexan 02-06-2019 02:43 PM

Found this on a different forum---- There's a TSB 07-10-10 in regards to your issue.. Ford is already aware of the problem.. If all the check points are spec, reducing the caster to the low limit usually will correct the issue..