Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   2014 emissions/02 sensor issues. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1570298-2014-emissions-02-sensor-issues.html)

tjc transport 01-26-2019 08:25 AM

2014 emissions/02 sensor issues.

it is time for my first emissions testing on the 14.
but it failed. the 02 sensors are not passing readiness.
i put torque pro on the truck and can only read bank 1-2 sensor 2 volts, not sensor 1.
and when they do read, it is only one sensor at a time.
as in when bank 1 sensor 2 reads, bank 2 sensor 2 drops to zero. then when bank 2 reads, bank 1 drops to zero.
i get no readings from sensor 1 on either side.
any ideas? i am lost when it comes to emissions on these new computerized engines, i am an old fashioned mechanical gas and diesel mechanic.

when i got the truck it needed spark plugs as 12 of the 16 were bad, and filled the cat up with unburnt gas and burned them out.
i replaced them with a set of alleged EPA emissions compliant high flow cats (i think magnaflow) and 4 new motorcraft 02 sensors.
i also added a 5 star 87 octane economy tune to raise fuel mileage.

rvpuller 01-27-2019 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by tjc transport (Post 18441781)
it is time for my first emissions testing on the 14.
but it failed. the 02 sensors are not passing readiness.
i put torque pro on the truck and can only read bank 1-2 sensor 2 volts, not sensor 1.
and when they do read, it is only one sensor at a time.
as in when bank 1 sensor 2 reads, bank 2 sensor 2 drops to zero. then when bank 2 reads, bank 1 drops to zero.
i get no readings from sensor 1 on either side.
any ideas? i am lost when it comes to emissions on these new computerized engines, i am an old fashioned mechanical gas and diesel mechanic.

when i got the truck it needed spark plugs as 12 of the 16 were bad, and filled the cat up with unburnt gas and burned them out.
i replaced them with a set of alleged EPA emissions compliant high flow cats (i think magnaflow) and 4 new motorcraft 02 sensors.
i also added a 5 star 87 octane economy tune to raise fuel mileage.

The first thing I would do is put it back to a stock tune, then disconnect the battery for 10 to 20 minutes. Restart it and drive it long enough so it will relearn all the sensors then use your app to see what the sensors are doing. I've learned on computer control motors to go back to square one when diagnosing a problem.

Denny

rvpuller 02-01-2019 12:55 PM

Did you get it figured out.

Denny

tjc transport 02-01-2019 01:18 PM

not yet Denny. it has been colder than my ex wifes heart here lately. i just returned it to stock and disconnected the battery 1/2 hour ago.
gonna go out and hook back up and go for a ride in a little bit.
i talked to one of the shops i trust, and he said to do the same thing.
he also said if that don't fix the issue i may need a new PCM.
we changed the BCD in september, and they had the battery disconnected for 4 days. he was not aware it had other than stock tune in the PCM, and thinks that may be what is wrong, it is trying to set parameters with the non stock tune.

tjc transport 02-03-2019 10:56 AM

well, i am totally lost.
just got back from a 145 mile drive in stock tune varying speed between 35 and 65 mph.
125 miles on main undivided roads, 20 on secondary roads.
7 or 8 traffic lights on the secondary road.
this puts a total of over 200 miles since computer reset to stock tune, and battery disconnect, with 15 warm up cycles..
current monitors are as follows:
misfire: complete
fuel system: complete
components: complete
catalyst: incomplete
heated catalyst: not avail
evaporative sys: incomplete
secondary air sys: not avail
A.C refrigerant: not avail
o2 sensor:incomplete
o2 sensor heater: incomplete
EGR system: complete

rvpuller 02-04-2019 06:40 AM

I take it it's not throwing any codes.

Denny

tjc transport 02-04-2019 06:48 AM

nope, but it will not set readiness monitors so i can pass emissions testing.

rvpuller 02-04-2019 07:45 AM

I'm thinking that the shop may be right and the PCM is going bad. On one of your other posts you said you changed the BCD, not sure what that is.

Denny

tjc transport 02-04-2019 08:46 AM

the body control module behind the fuse box had to be replaced back in september.
i put an aftermarket stereo in it with reverse camera, and in doing so i disturbed an abandoned live wire from an in car phone or two way radio that was tucked up under the dash uncapped and live by the previous owner. they think it made contact with a 5 volt signal wire and shorted out the module causing loss of power windows, power mirrors, reverse warning sensors, and ac controls.

rvpuller 02-04-2019 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by tjc transport (Post 18460122)
the body control module behind the fuse box had to be replaced back in september.
i put an aftermarket stereo in it with reverse camera, and in doing so i disturbed an abandoned live wire from an in car phone or two way radio that was tucked up under the dash uncapped and live by the previous owner. they think it made contact with a 5 volt signal wire and shorted out the module causing loss of power windows, power mirrors, reverse warning sensors, and ac controls.

You would think it would be BCM not BCD :-X14
With the things not being scanned and no codes I'm just guessing that part of the PCM is on vacation.

Denny

tjc transport 02-04-2019 10:21 AM

sorry about that, BCD was a typo. should have been BCM.

tjc transport 02-05-2019 03:57 PM

well, she goes in on monday for a brain transplant.
stopped by the shop that does a lot of state work and did a quick scan with some giant computer thing.
mechanic ( i know him, he is dating my niece) said looks like the PCM is fried.
but he is booked solid till monday.
he is going to do a bunch more tests before he decides to do the brain transplant though.

rvpuller 02-06-2019 07:25 AM

I'm wondering if some of your past problems was from the PCM failing.
Denny

tjc transport 02-06-2019 01:45 PM

i am starting to think that too.
i bet the dead sparkplugs and burned out cats was from overfueling due to the fried PCM. when i got it i had to put plugs, cats and o2 sensors in it, and it still gave low catalyst codes p0420 -p0430, so i just added a tuner to shut the codes off figuring they were from the aftermarket high flow cats i put on.
now from what John is saying, this bad PCM may have been my problem all along.

the BCM was a different animal though. they never pulled the fuse on the power feed for the two way radio or cell phone that was in the truck, and when i put the new stereo in it made contact with a 5 volt source wire and smoked the BCM.

leadmic 02-12-2019 10:59 AM

What was the fuel level in your truck? I have some experience in the past with trying to run the monitors on mostly GM vehicles. I know that some GM trucks wont run the EVAP monitors unless you are under 3/4 of a tank and wont run the O2 monitors unless the EVP monitors have run and only after a cold start. I'm not sure if Fords are the same way, we seem to have had more trouble with the GMs.